Anyone have a serious issue with the headphone jack being at the bottom?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Haven't seen much discussion about this. But those of us who use our iPhones as our primary music
players; does it bother you that the headphone jack is at the bottom? I know I'll eventually be getting
this phone. Just sucks that the jack is located at the bottom. I used to hate using an iPod touch at the
gym or in my car since I use the auxiliary cable and set the phone in my cup holder.

Anyone else not like this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Like everything else, people will get used to it. Still, I prefer the headphones jack to be at the top and don't understand the logic in putting it on the bottom.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Like everything else, people will get used to it. Still, I prefer the headphones jack to be at the top and don't understand the logic in putting it on the bottom.

Looking at pictures makes me think they just had a bit more real estate for a 3.5mm jack at the bottom.
The faceplate seems to be slightly longer going from bottom to screen then it does at the top going from
top to screen. I think the smaller dock connector has much to do with this too.

easyrun99

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, it's a personal preference. I had the Galaxy Nexus for a few months and actually loved the jack being on the bottom. It's natural to put the phone in my pocket top-down, so I didn't have to alter my normal routine when listening to music.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's a personal preference. I had the Galaxy Nexus for a few months and actually loved the jack being on the bottom. It's natural to put the phone in my pocket top-down, so I didn't have to alter my normal routine when listening to music.

I see your point. :)

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Exactly the same reason for me too. I use the indent where the Home button is to help lift the phone out of my pocket, meaning it always goes in upside down. Headphone jack at the bottom means I don't have to alter my routine either.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Looking at pictures makes me think they just had a bit more real estate for a 3.5mm jack at the bottom.
The faceplate seems to be slightly longer going from bottom to screen then it does at the top going from
top to screen. I think the smaller dock connector has much to do with this too.

You may very well be right. :)

emery66

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I like the change to the bottom. I have a spot in my console of my car that I keep my phone in and with the jack at the bottom I can have the phone plugged into the charger and have the 3.5mm plugged into my car stereo dash. I will stream Pandora, or listen to music stored on my phone while driving and the phone will slide neatly into the slot in my console with both cable coming out of the bottom. I know that's not going to help those that prefer it at the top, but I do like the change.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I like the bottom. When I'm at the gym I put my phone in top side down. So the wired would often get tangled or a caught up when trying to get the phone outta pocket. Didn't have that problem on the nexus. And gives me a couple inches in length for the cord.

Kryznic

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
It's better on the bottom, you put your phone in your pocket top side down, so when you pull it out to talk or type it's right side up. So it makes sense to have the jack on the bottom.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Haven't seen much discussion about this. But those of us who use our iPhones as our primary music
players; does it bother you that the headphone jack is at the bottom? I know I'll eventually be getting
this phone. Just sucks that the jack is located at the bottom. I used to hate using an iPod touch at the
gym or in my car since I use the auxiliary cable and set the phone in my cup holder.

I was annoyed when I first got my Galaxy Nexus about the jack being on the bottom. But after using it for awhile I found I actually prefer it on the bottom now. Like others have said, I too put my phone in my pocket top down so it ends up being more natural for me. I didn't know what I was missing out on.

Don't knock it before you try it.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I was annoyed when I first got my Galaxy Nexus about the jack being on the bottom. But after using it for awhile I found I actually prefer it on the bottom now. Like others have said, I too put my phone in my pocket top down so it ends up being more natural for me. I didn't know what I was missing out on.

I just don't ever listen to music with the phone in my pocket. Ever.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

^This

Thats exactly how I was. In fact I even activated my GNex last night to get some 4G goodness when I was out and about and liked how my jack was at the bottom. Different strokes for different folks :)

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Not only do I like it getting switched the bottom for the same reason others have mentioned, my tendency to place my phone upside down in my pocket, but I also like that when I have my phone charging at my desk, I dont have my charger cord running out of the bottom and my headphones cord running out of the top. It ends up a tangled mess.

Its the little things....:)

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Im with a few of the others when I say I actually prefer it at the bottom. I remember when I had the 3rd generation iPod touch and I believe it was located on the bottom of that as well. I dont use an aux cable either as my car has bluetooth and most of my external devices are. Im actually kind of excited for it to go back to the bottom just for the fact that I can plop it down in my pocket and go with the cable for the headphones coming out naturally. To be honest, and this may sound crazy, but I have actually had trouble with my headphones in the past because of the connector being pinched trying to come out of my pocket upside down. Personal preference as always but a welcome change for me.

patricksmangan

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site

I agree, i use my iPhone the same way, & also wish they left the jack on the top. Or sometimes I think they should have two, one in each direction, but that's not going to happen.

How I pocket my phone doesn't matter to me because I only use Bluetooth headphones.

Audizine

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I think another reason is that because the new connector is smaller and more fragile than the older one. So with the headphone jack it makes it more stronger to use it with docks and other accessories.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox