Looking for a very particular case

Doc Z

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks, I'm finally crossing over to the dark side, and abandoning my archaic blackberry. I spent some time today looking at all kinds of iPhone cases and I just can't seem to find the right one for me. I bet this question gets hammered to death repeatedly so I apologize in advance.

I'm looking for a slick, minimal case with slight bumper protectors for the screen. Preferably metal or some other hard material that provides minimal-medium protection. I cannot stand silicone, or any "rubbery" or matte feel whatsoever so a lot of cases like case mates barely there are out. I like the concept of the otter box commuter but I hate that type of surface that's on the back. I want something harder and preferably metal that isn't bulky but I don't want the ridiculously thin cases that just cover the back and sides of the phone with no screen bumper either. So far i got the case crown lux to tide me over but i have a feeling im going to hate the feel of that case. Im looking for something close to it though. Any suggestions?

Doc Z

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Definitely the right idea but wow that thing is ugly lol, I don't like what they did with the back there, I like most of the back covered up.

But otherwise, great looking case and I love the aluminum! Anything else like this?

Doc Z

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking at the mophie juice air as well. Just not sure about that material. Anyone have any experience with these? Is it metal at all? Make the phone feel bulky?

Last edited:

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I can't think of the name, but there is a company that makes aluminum bumpers. I am not sure if they offer options for a full back, but they are nice looking cases. I am pretty sure that there was a review on iMore for them.

Doc Z

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link. Out of those the Apex Armor caught my eye. I'll have to wait for them to come out with a case for the 5 to see whether I like it. Still, I'd prefer something a bit more stylish. Have you guys ever mixed cases? Say a very thin black aluminum with a separate bumper? I don't even know if that would fit.

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I am very picky.....I prefer no case but am too scared to always go naked. I normally use nothing but keep something that is easy on/off in case I do need protection. I liked the apple bumper but it stretched over time, I prefer TPU bc it is very durable and easy to clean.

Doc Z

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I hear you. I wish I could rock mine naked but it's just too risky, especially when I'm drunk lol. I just want a really nice aluminum case that offers some protection, it's so hard to find the right balance. Nothing is really striking me as a must have case. The mophie juice pack air is probably the closest and I don't even know if that's metal.

And they're all expensive! At least make it absolutely stunning if it's priced at $80-100. I'm willing to pay that much but only for something gorgeous. But yeah I'm super picky as well lol

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Doc Z, I believe I've read on here that Mophies are approximately the same size as an Otterbox Defender (does add some bulk).

As far as a minimalistic case - have you looked at the barely there brushed aluminum case from Case-Mate? A buddy of mine has the black version. It's a nice looking case!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Doc Z

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Doc Z, I believe I've read on here that Mophies are approximately the same size as an Otterbox Defender (does add some bulk).

As far as a minimalistic case - have you looked at the barely there brushed aluminum case from Case-Mate? A buddy of mine has the black version. It's a nice looking case!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Even the juice pack air? It looks a lot slimmer than the defender series. I'll have to look at the dimensions. It's so hard to tell unless it's in your hand though.

The barely there case that case mate has doesn't seem to be brushed aluminum. Maybe they'll release this later but I had one for my blackberry and from what I remember it didn't provide any bumper screen coverage but of course they're different phones.

Last edited:

Doc Z

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Not a leather fan or a fan of exotic colors lol looks like the Mophie juice pack air is the closest to a solid, not as bulky solution.

Doc Z

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Gonna bump this. Any new cases I'm unaware of? Still haven't found what I'm looking for.

How about non-TPU/silicone cases?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner