Votes: 42 33.6%
  • Tim Cook says I don't need it... so I don't

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jrsharp70

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I have it on my phone. First thing I did was turn it off.
(Edit: I posted a CNET article about the suckiness of NFC below)

- I don't want things that I walk by talking to my phone randomly, feeding Skynet information.
- I don't want battery drain from something I'll encounter once every month.
- The only thing NFC is good for yet is paying without a card... no thanks Skynet, I'll just pull out my wallet, which I carry anyway.
- If I want you to have my contact info, I can walk up to you and let our phones make love... or I can send you a vcard from anywhere, in roughly the same amount of time.
- There is already a near-field communication that lets me control exactly what I send and receive, it's called bluetooth... and that one already talks to my headphones and car. (If it could talk to my girlfriend for me when I get home, it'd be even better).

And finally... Apple didn't put it in their device, so no one will adopt it anyway.

I win.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
And finally... Apple didn't put it in their device, so no one will adopt it anyway.

I win.

paypass_logo-390x250.jpg

Dude.. these are on almost every checkout lane I go through these days. Most of my credit cards have the Tap-To-Pay logo on them.

I use it with my credit cards and phone all the time. Its already adopted. Big Time.

Reactions: SOV

jrsharp70

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I've owned an iPhone, iPad, MacBook, and iMac. I've spent ~$1,000 on iTunes.

And Apple drives the entire tech market... I'm interested in how they will make the competition better.

I'd say even if none of the above were true, posting on the forum while not currently typing on an iPhone isn't a crime.

Last edited:

Jet300

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

The article is 3 months old and most of the arguments are invalid. Its unreal how fast things chnage in the tech world Google Wallet now accepts and links to ANY credit card. The proliferation of NFC chips on Android / WP devices is gaining traction.

Just like Kilo said, that PayPass logo is found more and more places ... Heck I pay at the water / soda machine by just touching the phone. Money comes right out of my checking account instantly. Pretty amazing never having to dig out my wallet to grab a card to swipe.

TreyDaPrince

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm somewhere in between. I don't necessarily need it but it would be a nice feature to have in the event you left your credit card at home or its simply not working. Just whip out your phone and voila.

GreatNeal

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
NFC is a mess right now.
Apple wouldn't want to jump into that mess.
Remember the leak saying Apple abandoned the NFC?
Probably because it's a mess and it's gona get that lots of minus points if it doesn't work well. and probably ain't even close to 60% as fast as paying with a credit card.
Perhaps say next year or 2014? When NFC is starting to become more reliable?

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
NFC is not a mess, quite the opposite.

I use it virtually every day, and in more and more locations all the time.

I'm very disappointed the iPhone 5 did not include NFC.

digitalfan

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I think people don't understand what NFC is. Sure, it has a feature to pay for things, but remember WebOS and tap to share? Being able to move a web page, games, or any saved data from just tapping phone to another device. Imagine being able to tap your iPhone to your iMac, with iTunes up, and instantly your iPhone 5 syncing. No connection required. Imagine having a movie on your iPhone and tapping your iPad, or even your Apple TV, and bam, that movie ... Right where you stoped watching it ... Is now on the big screen.

Apple had a chance. They could have shown innovation. They choose evolution. Nothing wrong with it, sure, but when they show this next year with the iPhone 5s, you can't say they invented it. Because they will be copying the million Android devices and WP devices doing these things.

Heck, the whole Nexus Q is a cool idea. That's innovation.

jeffgus

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Old news... Google Wallet now allows any CC to be added into the system. In fact, they are discontinuing the use of their Google card that came preloaded in the Wallet app. I just used Wallet with my debit card number today at a 7-Eleven. Pretty darn cool. NFC is more secure than standard mag stripe cards.

I don't think it's Google's fault that carriers are trying to not be dumb pipes and get into the payment picture. There are ways to load Google Wallet on to Verizon phones. ;)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's an infant tech...bottom line. When it get's on it's feet and it's readily available in a more wide spread nature, I'll consider it a more pressing option, right now, i personally don't have a need for it...that's not to say everyone should feel the same, but I'm not making decisions on new phones based on the inclusion of NFC or not.

Gus2259

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Not so useful where I live

In most of the stores were I live NFC or even passport really wouldn't be that valuable feature. The reason is most of the card readers require a card oriented swipe and not just a hold of a card close to the reader. The exception I can think of is Exxon gas stations where they do have the tap n go and some McDonald's which have a fast pass.

If the stores would change the readers then I really would like to have both these features.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I think people don't understand what NFC is. Sure, it has a feature to pay for things, but remember WebOS and tap to share? Being able to move a web page, games, or any saved data from just tapping phone to another device. Imagine being able to tap your iPhone to your iMac, with iTunes up, and instantly your iPhone 5 syncing. No connection required. Imagine having a movie on your iPhone and tapping your iPad, or even your Apple TV, and bam, that movie ... Right where you stoped watching it ... Is now on the big screen.

Apple had a chance. They could have shown innovation. They choose evolution. Nothing wrong with it, sure, but when they show this next year with the iPhone 5s, you can't say they invented it. Because they will be copying the million Android devices and WP devices doing these things.

Heck, the whole Nexus Q is a cool idea. That's innovation.

NFC isn't innovation. It's simply a matter of adopting it. Why bother with tap to share when you got icloud? Why have it if the passbook app does what Apple wants at this point?

I usually don't like seeing people downplay something that's not added (or taken away) but this isn't one of them.

flyersfan76

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of uses for NFC and payment is just 1 little feature. Access to private fueling facilities, buildings, etc.

The problem is their haven't been a lot of developers making apps for it.

1 company did it for the Blackberry and it was really cool. Turning profiles off and on depending on where you were.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of uses for NFC and payment is just 1 little feature. Access to private fueling facilities, buildings, etc.

The problem is their haven't been a lot of developers making apps for it.

1 company did it for the Blackberry and it was really cool. Turning profiles off and on depending on where you were.

I believe you, but still, those things do not interest me at this time. ;)

jefftam68

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
HID, the company that makes proximity security cards just announced they will be supporting Blackberry's NFC. I suspect they don't want to touch Android yet since the security on those is scary. But I'm sure they will also take on Windows Phone 8. Every other platform has NFC, too bad Apple skipped it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal