View Poll Results: Do you care about NFC?

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • No thanks, Minority Report

51 40.80%
  • Yeah, It'd make my life complete

27 21.60%
  • Maybe I would in the next 2 years

42 33.60%
  • Tim Cook says I don't need it... so I don't

5 4.00%
    iPhone 5 not having NFC is a lot like when the iPhone 4S didn't have LTE. A lot of people were disappointed. Although for a lot of people LTE wasn't/still isn't available in their area, they just like to brag that they have x feature.

I live in NYC and yeah there's NFC, however, even for paying for things, it's not as fail proof as just using my credit card. However that's just me, for other people maybe it's more important. I wouldn't get all banged out of shape over one minor feature however.
    09-13-2012 11:37 AM
    NFC is not a mess, quite the opposite.

I use it virtually every day, and in more and more locations all the time.

I'm very disappointed the iPhone 5 did not include NFC.
    Where do you use it, typically?

The article is 3 months old and most of the arguments are invalid. Its unreal how fast things chnage in the tech world Google Wallet now accepts and links to ANY credit card. The proliferation of NFC chips on Android / WP devices is gaining traction.

Just like Kilo said, that PayPass logo is found more and more places ... Heck I pay at the water / soda machine by just touching the phone. Money comes right out of my checking account instantly. Pretty amazing never having to dig out my wallet to grab a card to swipe.
    You aren't ever worried about hidden fees, errors, or the like?

I have a hard time keeping up with my money as it is, what with all of the direct bank drafts, debit transactions, etc. I could be getting billed $20/mo for something right now and not even know about it.

If it weren't for my daily balance being texted to me, I'd never be able to know when something odd came out.
    09-13-2012 11:42 AM
    It does not bother me that it is not in the new iPhone but it would have been nice. I have a Nexus and when I used it, I was using NFC daily. It is really a handy thing to have.
    09-13-2012 11:47 AM
    I live in a small town in Wisconsin....we are probably soooooooo far away from getting NFC technology around here, I don't care that the iPhone 5 doesn't have it!!
    09-13-2012 11:50 AM
    NFC won't be popular until Apple adapts it. Google was prob banking on it.
    09-13-2012 12:08 PM
    While I use NFC for purchasing things, I use it more ofter with NFC Tags that I preprogrammed to carry out tasks.

i.e. I have a NFC tag on my car dock. When I place my S3 in the dock, the NFC tag makes my phone turn on bluetooth, turn on GPS, turn wifi off and launch the Amazon Cloud Player.

I have a NFC tag at work the puts my phone in vibrate mode and turn wifi on and GPS off.

I have a NFC tag on my nightstand charging dock that disables notifications and launch my alarm/clock app.
    Last edited by kilofox; 09-13-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    09-13-2012 12:12 PM
    While I did use NFC for purchasing things, I use it more ofter with NFC Tags that I preprogrammed to carry out tasks.

i.e. I have a NFC tag on my car dock. When I place my S3 in the dock, the NFC tag makes my phone turn on bluetooth, turn on GPS, turn wifi off and launch the Amazon Cloud Player.

I have a NFC tag at work the puts my phone in vibrate mode and turn wifi on and GPS off.

I have a NFC tag on my nightstand charging dock that disables notifications and launch my alarm/clock app.
    Ok.... those are really cool things. I wouldn't have a freaking clue how to make that happen, but yeah, that is why geeks rule the earth.

Edit: Is this you??? lol
    Weekend Project: Make Your Own NFC Tags
    Last edited by jrsharp70; 09-13-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    09-13-2012 12:15 PM
    just get one of those and put a paypass credit card in it - you can just tap the phone and it goes through - on transactions below EUR 20 (my bank actually offers an NFC case for 4 and 4S and app that allows 20+ transactions but it is those coffees and water etc small sums that are perfect for tap and go). Add a EUR 50 note under the credit card for the taxi and you can go out on Friday night with just phone and keys in the pocket. - I know it is not very high tech but works nicely:-)
    09-13-2012 12:48 PM
    I don't see NFC as being critical today, the industry needs to come together and agree on a standard payment system that will use NFC instead of fighting each other for dominance where their is none to be had. Maybe in a few years, maybe Apple can provide a solution that doesn't require it at all.

Of course if they do it should be an open standard and not patented so we can all get to one consistent standard.
    09-13-2012 01:38 PM
    That said...the tech is new, unpolished and NOT wide spread...it's getting there, but it's simply not there yet. Next year, it'll be significantly improved. To the point of a need for it on all devices? Maybe, i would have said the same thing last year when the 4S was released...but it just didn't progress as fast as one would have thought (i think primarily because of security features). Next year? Here's hoping.
    I don't get people saying NFC is new. It is new to PHONES, but it is not new. Walk into any 7-Eleven, they have a NFC terminal. I see quite a few drive-thru's with NFC terminals. Los Angeles Metro just announced that they stopped issuing paper tickets. Only TAP Card are supported. Guess how TAP Cards work? NFC!

My only problem with NFC is that only one of my cards has it and it is not my debit card. Plastic cards can be skimmed. NFC on a phone is more secure because you have to auth the transaction! That is *better* than plastic.

NFC is also useful for things like changing profiles on the phone. Or setting up ad-hoc networking with another phone to transfer large amounts of data, etc. If the iPhone5 had NFC I am sure we'd be talking about all the cool possibilities that NFC offers.
    09-13-2012 02:27 PM
    I don't see NFC as being critical today, the industry needs to come together and agree on a standard payment system that will use NFC instead of fighting each other for dominance where their is none to be had. Maybe in a few years, maybe Apple can provide a solution that doesn't require it at all.

Of course if they do it should be an open standard and not patented so we can all get to one consistent standard.
    NFC itself isn't the fight. The fight is over the app and who handles the app to financial center transport. Google has their Wallet app and for some reason the *carriers* want to get into the picture with this "Isis" thing. The actual NFC part is just NFC and already defined by an ISO standard.
    09-13-2012 02:39 PM
    Personally, I don't. Had it on my Nexus and got it now on my GSG3 and never used it and the thought hasn't crossed my mind.
    09-13-2012 03:21 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD