08-09-2012 08:00 PM
    Just who did they survey - Kindle owners?

Polls are not taken to reflect general opinion. They are taken to MANIPULATE opinion.
    KCMike likes this.
    08-09-2012 08:07 PM

Polls are not taken to reflect general opinion. They are taken to MANIPULATE opinion.
    Read the article and you would know who did the poll and who was polled. Just because you buy every apple product doesn't mean others feel the same. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
    08-09-2012 10:46 PM
    Read the article and you would know who did the poll and who was polled. Just because you buy every apple product doesn't mean others feel the same. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
    unbunch yourself. The poll was taken in an extremely biased audience, and to conclude a potential iPad mini is pointless is folly. It may be pointless to the biased people surveyed, it's not pointless at all to consumers at large.

read: Why Apple would release a 7-inch iPad | iMore.com
    08-09-2012 11:12 PM
    I'm with you, Keith. The iPad mini, at least in my opinion, will be a hit. Why? It will be an iPad that is smaller in size and cheaper to own, not to mention that it will be the next hot thing on the market when released. With the success of the Kindle Fire and the Nook color, there is a market for a smaller version of the iPad and if it is Apple's desire to knock off the competition then it is only logical that it introduces a smaller version of an already coveted device into the market where the going trend is around 7 or so inches. Is it possible that my opinion misses the mark? Of course, it's possible. Will current iPad owners buy the iPad mini? Some of them will. Will the me first crowd buy it? Many of them most certainly will. Heck, I'm even considering buying one for my youngest son so he can stop playing games on mine. Still, we will know soon enough if the poll the OP referenced is accurate or not.
    08-09-2012 11:32 PM
    If they make one it will sell, but I would not say it will be a hit. If they sell more than 5-6 million a year I would be extremely surprised.

The only way to make it cheaper is to strip out features. They won't compromise margins just to sell a product into that market, so $349 is much more likely than $299
    Premium1 likes this.
    08-10-2012 02:56 AM
    The poll was flawed for lots of reasons. The big one was that almost 80% of them were iphone owners. It also asked which one they would prefer, an iphone 5 or mini ipad. Of course phones are more of a need. And probably the biggest flaw, no one knows what either product will look like or what features they'll have.
    08-10-2012 11:01 AM
    I have the original iPad and still really love it (but will soon be getting "The New iPad"), but I also own a BlackBerry Playbook and love it also, the size is so portable. If I am out running around I grab the Playbook because it is so easy to carry. I would love an iPad mini, especially if it is as thin as an iPad. It would be the perfect carry around most of the time device.
    08-10-2012 10:48 PM
    Im gonna skip the iPhone 5 for the mini because the damn 5 looks the same as the iPhone 4,4s nothing new to me plus I like the size factor of a smaller 7"'tab over here big 9.7".
    08-11-2012 12:56 PM
    As a middle school principal, I am very interested in this device. The size and price could be perfect for a school setting. I have an iPad 2 and a Nook Color. Obviously, both are quite portable, but the Nook is a little easier to handle size wise and would take up less room on a desk.
    08-11-2012 01:40 PM
    I'm more interested in a maxi pad (horrible name but I couldn't help it) i.e. 13-14" would open up a whole new world to the iPad regarding productivity apps.
    08-11-2012 04:02 PM

Exactly as sad as that is.
    08-11-2012 04:05 PM
    The poll was flawed for lots of reasons. The big one was that almost 80% of them were iphone owners. It also asked which one they would prefer, an iphone 5 or mini ipad. Of course phones are more of a need. And probably the biggest flaw, no one knows what either product will look like or what features they'll have.
    Also, it's a poll taken of avid members of a coupon site for cripes sake. These people are going to be "cost & savings oriented" to put it politely, or "cheap" to put it in plain English.
    08-11-2012 04:51 PM
    If its at the 199 price point il buy it. I have 2 android tablet users in my house an I just don't like the feel of it. I'm not sure why but apps crash, it slows down and battery life isn't the best.

Sent from my Jailbroken Facebook Machine using Tapatalk
    08-11-2012 04:57 PM
    The question is not do people want the ipad mini. The real question is do people really want nooks,nexus 7's and kindle's. If they don't and the ipad mini does end up in the 200ish price range watch as their sales literally come to a halt.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-11-2012 04:58 PM
    If they make one it will sell, but I would not say it will be a hit. If they sell more than 5-6 million a year I would be extremely surprised.

The only way to make it cheaper is to strip out features. They won't compromise margins just to sell a product into that market, so $349 is much more likely than $299
    If you could buy a $349 iPad mini that is missing something that the regular iPad has (retina display, multicore processor, front facing camera or whatever) or paying $349 for a brand new fully functional iPad 2? Which do you get? I'd get the iPad 2, personally. Unless you are dead set on a 7" form factor, why would you get the mini? IMO, for the mini to be successful, it will have to have something that the iPad and iPhone or iPod touch don't or be incredibly reasonably priced.
    Premium1 likes this.
    08-11-2012 10:14 PM
    Well I just grabbed an ipad 3 today. Not waiting for this mini. If it turns out to be 200ish I could see me gifting my dearest with it around xmas time.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    08-12-2012 12:19 AM
    If you could buy a $349 iPad mini that is missing something that the regular iPad has (retina display, multicore processor, front facing camera or whatever) or paying $349 for a brand new fully functional iPad 2? Which do you get? I'd get the iPad 2, personally. Unless you are dead set on a 7" form factor, why would you get the mini? IMO, for the mini to be successful, it will have to have something that the iPad and iPhone or iPod touch don't or be incredibly reasonably priced.
    I agree with this. Personally, I like the full sized iPads. I just got the new iPad and it is a perfect complement to my iPhone. I can see where there would be a market for the 7 inch iPad though. I would definitely get one for my kid if it is reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    08-12-2012 08:00 AM
    I'm more interested in a maxi pad (horrible name but I couldn't help it) i.e. 13-14" would open up a whole new world to the iPad regarding productivity apps.
    If you're interested in a 13" device, the MacBook Air would be a better choice.
    08-12-2012 12:37 PM
    Right. Given the choice between an iPad "Mini" and my old LG flip phone I'd take my old LG flip phone, not to mention the iPhone "5." I need a phone, as most people do. It doesn't mean I wouldn't want an iPad "Mini," or both, or that just because I don't need it there isn't a huge market for it.

There are so many things with that article / poll it's ridiculous.
    08-12-2012 01:17 PM
    Your point is well taken, but are you speaking as a techy or as Joe Consumer? Far too many people buy certain brands for status purposes. Take the car that looks like an over-sized baby carriage, for example. A lot of people think the size of the current iPad is too large. I don't and many of the people who peruse this forum don't either, but I doubt we represent the majority. There is a market for it. Now to answer your question: If the specs were the same or even the same as the new iPad, I would get the iPad 2 because of its size.
    08-12-2012 01:35 PM
    Lol it all boils down to people being cheapstakes as some has mentioned.

Some may say that it is perfect size. Please kindly go kill yourself if you were to argue it's the perfect size for purses.
    That means your trying to say that Apple will create something specifically for females. Not only is that business model dumb, it's a significantly niche market.
    PLUS. Go compare reading on the iPad and an 7" inch on say. books. Most would ditch the 7" inch. That's the reality. I'll say the 10" is the perfect size.

If there's one reason Apple is creating iPad Mini. It is created with the less developed countries in mind. Since they ain't rich. They have no choice but to buy the cheaper range stuff. But then again. With the iPad and iPad being so cheap. what's the use for iPad Mini.
    I seriously see it as a waste of resources.
    I'm thinking you misspelled your last name and left out an R.
    09-01-2012 10:35 AM
    This reminds me of the same talk before the original iPad was released. Everyone wondered why they would need a "Tablet" device, what would they do with it, why they would spend more money for a "bigger iPhone". Now after 3 generations it has defined what is currently a tablet and many people use them daily without any thought of what it's needed for. I'm just saying once it is debuted and we know what it looks like, how it feels and how much it costs then we'll know the real impact it makes. I own a 3rd generation iPad which I use every day but if there was an iPad Mini I would buy it in addition to not instead of, why? Simple because when I travel an hour to and from work I carry my 15" MBP along with my lunch, books etc. So an iPad Mini would allow me to do the things I do with my iPad now and it would save on the size and weight of my backpack. When I get home and I'm travelling, going to the coffee shop my wife could use the Mini while I use the big boy. It allows for more usage and for some people it will be an either or case but Apple wants that to be either or both Apple devices not either an iPad or some other 7" tablet.
    10-10-2012 03:52 PM
    I would buy one. I'd considered the 3, but in my case, I couldn't really justify the price/productive usage ratio, so I went with a MBP instead. A 'mini', as it has been dubbed, would work better for me; plus, it'd be more portable.
    10-10-2012 04:06 PM
    I for one am eagerly awaiting the ipad mini. I currently use a Blackberry Playbook and absolutely love it. I tried the 10 inch Galaxy and couldn't stand it mainly because of the size and weight. With the playbook, I can sit it front of the tv and surf the internet to my hearts content while holding it in one hand and never having the sense of this heavy awkward device in my hands like I did with the Galaxy. I am sure the regular sized ipads are the same. The playbook also fits easily in my coat pocket and always goes to the coffee shops with me. Hopefully, there will be many like me and the mini will be a huge success.
    10-14-2012 08:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD