I consider the iMore gang to be among the best in the business- top notch. So, when they raved on the podcast about the Jambox, I put it on my wish list. Today, I was in Seattle, so went to an Apple store and bought one. Got it hooked up, used it, it was great. Perfect as a conference call device.

Then, I tried to update the software, per the Jambox website, and the darn thing bricked!

I went to the forums for help, and learned that this is not unusual, and is one of several terminal issues that turn the Jambox into a paperweight.

Shame on me, I bought it solely on the advice of iMore, without my usual rigorous research.

Does anyone here have the same experience?
    08-07-2012 01:55 AM
    I consider the iMore gang to be among the best in the business- top notch. So, when they raved on the podcast about the Jambox, I put it on my wish list. Today, I was in Seattle, so went to an Apple store and bought one. Got it hooked up, used it, it was great. Perfect as a conference call device.

Then, I tried to update the software, per the Jambox website, and the darn thing bricked!

I went to the forums for help, and learned that this is not unusual, and is one of several terminal issues that turn the Jambox into a paperweight.

Shame on me, I bought it solely on the advice of iMore, without my usual rigorous research.

Does anyone here have the same experience?
    So you're upset about a review of a product you admittedly liked, because you got a faulty product? Have it replaced, I'm positive that the manufacturer will be only too happy to replace your defective product at no charge.
    08-07-2012 02:38 AM
    Yeah, no prob. Good insight, I never thought of returning it. In all my 60 years, I have never seen a product not work, and have to be returned. So your insight is a real help.

But the point is, I love iMore so much, I take their advice without cross checking, and while a few iPhone apps are one thing, this is a $200 piece of kit, so I should have done my usual research. I feel like a schmuk, and feel let down by iMore- the Jambox forums are full of complaints about the darn thing bricking with any software update- many more than an odd occurance. You would think the great people at iMore would have done a software update? If so, they were luckier than I.

Returning this is a drive of 5 hours total, so while its easy to say, its costly to do.
    08-07-2012 04:17 PM
    this is a $200 piece of kit

Maybe it's just me... but I ignore reviews when I'm spending this much money and practice due diligence... which you say you usually do, but didn't just this once - and the #fail someone else's fault. Sorry. Not buying it.
    08-07-2012 04:26 PM
    Oh kch50428, Did I blame someone else? I thought I just expressed disappointment that for once I had acted on the advice of one source, and it was a mistake. Note, my post says: "I acted"- my responsibility for my actions. Totally my fault. "the #fail someone else's fault" comes from you, not me. But, I reserve the right to be disappointed in iMore, and point out when they fall short, as a supporter, customer, and reader.

One should always be circumspect about reviews. Sadly, even with iMore. Who I still love as entertainment. All the podcasts, forums, news feeds, tweets. If you think I am selling you something, you inferred meaning that was not implied. Or implied meaning that was not inferred. One of those.
    08-07-2012 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD