Which really offers better protection? Reflex of Commuter?

tkwolf

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading countless posts to see which one offers a better protection from drops.
I actually own both the reflex and the commuter but cannot decide on which protects my 4s more.

The commuter has two layers but both seem quite thin.
The reflex only has one layer but a really sturdy casing.

Anyone?

particularly on drops.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've always opted for the Commuter case - I really like the 2 layers of protection. The Reflex case has the specially designed corners to absorb impact. I'd guess their protection is about the same.

I was interested in the Reflex case awhile back but I read a ton of reviews saying the case scratched the iPhone's antenna band. For that reason, I've always steered clear of that case.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I used both of these cases on my iPhone 4S and the Commuter case definitely offered more protection than the Reflex case.

tkwolf

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I've always opted for the Commuter case - I really like the 2 layers of protection. The Reflex case has the specially designed corners to absorb impact. I'd guess their protection is about the same.

I was interested in the Reflex case awhile back but I read a ton of reviews saying the case scratched the iPhone's antenna band. For that reason, I've always steered clear of that case.

I'm currently using the commuter because of how soft the buttons are compared to the reflex and most people have suggested that the commuter offers a way better protection, although im not entirely sure if this is totally true.

I used both of these cases on my iPhone 4S and the Commuter case definitely offered more protection than the Reflex case.

In terms of drops? I know the commuter protects the headphone jack, the charging port etc but my main concern is the drop resistance. How well do both protect the iPhone from drops?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using the commuter because of how soft the buttons are compared to the reflex and most people have suggested that the commuter offers a way better protection, although im not entirely sure if this is totally true.

In terms of drops? I know the commuter protects the headphone jack, the charging port etc but my main concern is the drop resistance. How well do both protect the iPhone from drops?

In terms of drops, both cases will offer the iPhone great protection. I did like how the Reflex case offered a little extra buffer space in the corners, however, the Reflex case that I had developed a problem where the rubber began to peel in more than a few places after only 4 months. This is something that never happened with my commuter case. It could of been a defective case and OB did offer a replacement but I decided at the time not to try another one.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

tkwolf

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
In terms of drops, both cases will offer the iPhone great protection. I did like how the Reflex case offered a little extra buffer space in the corners, however, the Reflex case that I had developed a problem where the rubber began to peel in more than a few places after only 4 months. This is something that never happened with my commuter case. It could of been a defective case and OB did offer a replacement but I decided at the time not to try another one.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Interesting, I've switched to the reflex a day or two ago because I've read and heard on reviews that the reflex case offers a better protection for the reason that it has an "air space" in between which greatly minimizes drop shocks. I've also emailed otterbox they told me this:

"here's our descriptions for the Commuter and the Reflex. Personally, I haven't been able to test them in a drop test, but I'm sure there are plenty of tests on Youtube. Looking at our descriptions, we seem to be saying the Reflex series is more resistant to drops. Hope this helps!

The OtterBox Commuter Series is a slim and tough protective case made of a durable silicone mid-layer and a one-piece, custom-molded polycarbonate shell. Its smooth finish allows it to slide easily in and out of pockets and does not require a holster. This case provides added protection against scratches, bumps and shocks.
The OtterBox Reflex Series is ready to respond in any situation - users can dock or even drop without worry. The case is compact and lightweight, incorporating revolutionary, rule-defying technology. Surrounding each device with a cushion of air, the Reflex Series flexes upon impact and rebounds to its original form. Focused on protecting the occupant, just like the crumple zone of a car, this case not only takes a hit but recoils and springs back, ready to protect again and again.

gogorocky

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I can only speak for my own experience; I do not deny or discount (nor elevate) others' experiences with the case.

With that said, I'm so far very pleased with my LifeProof case (gen 2). My first copy had some dust caught in the glue around the seals of the proximity sensor; the replacement from Best Buy also has this to a minor degree, but I don't think it's worth taking back a second time.

The only other minor issue that I have is that there is a bulge on the top (the top of the case isn't a straight line when the phone is viewed face-on). For $80 (plus $30 for the holster), this thing should be perfect. Both the first and second copies from Best Buy exhibit this issue; after looking at it closely, it seems to come from the seal around the noise-canceling mic and thus may just be an unfortunate reality of the existing design.

It took forever and a half, a pair of rubber gloves, and judicious amounts of compressed air to get the phone in the case without dust getting in between the screen and the front plate, but that applies to any screen protector.

Once installed, the so-called pillow effect is there, though eventually you get used to it (mostly). I prefer my phone naked, but as I do a lot of hiking in canyons, some protection is warranted. While the screen protector of the case itself is crystal clear and the design makes it look like there's no case on the front plate, the slight pillowing will never let you forget that the phone isn't naked. On account of the noise your finger makes when tapping on the pillowing plastic, I turned off the keyboard click sounds as they were redundant.

So far there have been no sound issues with my copy. I love how it turns the entire back of the phone into a speaker...it sounds better than without the case. Sound quality for calls and recording are unaffected.

The holster (a separate $30 purchase) is very sturdy. Note that it will not allow you to open the charging port door while the phone is in the holster. I find it a bit much for everyday usage; the case itself is non-bulky enough to be comfortably carried in a pants pocket. The holster shines when out hiking, especially its ability to lock the phone in (no accidental releasing of the catch) and the ability to put the phone facing inwards. The belt clip spring is quite firm and takes some effort to get on and off your belt, so I don't worry about it getting accidentally wrangled off (had that happen before with other holsters).

As an anecdote about Customer Service, they were very helpful and very quick to respond when I called them about the wrong mount being sent when I first ordered the holster (they put the bike mount in instead). CS emailed me the RMA number and return shipping label, and then shipped me the correct item the same day.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the case. As a very OCDish person and someone who prefers the phone naked, the slight deformity at the top of the case and the pillowing effect are annoying (especially for the premium price tag), but when I get engrossed in actually using the phone for functional purposes in everyday business these things are less obvious. For the protection with the minimal bulk and almost-nude look of the front, though, it's a pretty damn good buy. Making a better speaker for speakerphone and playing music is nice bonus.

hoosieriphone

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
My reflex case scratched the heck out of the band around the phone. I too wish they would come out with a belt clip for the Commuter case.

catalypse

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I too wish they would come out with a belt clip for the Commuter case.

or maybe sell separate holster for the Commuter, say under $20.

I'm also thinking about buying this Crack Defender...

White-Iphone-4-Case-With-Holster-Belt-Clip.jpg

Belt Clip Holster Iphone 4 Case With Kickstand for $12.99... what do you guys think?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My reflex case scratched the heck out of the band around the phone. I too wish they would come out with a belt clip for the Commuter case.

I was wondering if the band would eventually get scratched from the Relex case. Something I don't have to worry about using the commuter case. A belt clip is something I don't have a need for much anymore, but it would be nice if they made one for the people who do like to use it.