griffin survivor - awesome

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hilol, you convinced me to stop at Walmart tomorrow to take a look. I just got my OB Defender out tonight and the bottom cover for the dock connector is all warped (the dock connector cover and the whole front that cover the home button is all warped and bubbles) - if I don't like the Survivor, I'll probably be hitting up OB CS soon!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Though I took my Survivor back, it's roughly the same size as an Otterbox and you will need a dock extender to dock on any iHome. I tried docking mine with the Survivor on and it wouldn't fit. Had to use my dock extender to dock it to my iHome.

Thanks, Laura! Where did you get your extender and how much was it? There are a ton on Amazon anywhere from $5 - $30 a piece. I feel like they should be relatively cheap ($5-$10) because, com'on, it's a little plastic extender haha.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Laura! Where did you get your extender and how much was it? There are a ton on Amazon anywhere from $5 - $30 a piece. I feel like they should be relatively cheap ($5-$10) because, com'on, it's a little plastic extender haha.

You're welcome. I bought a CableJive dockstubz extender. It was a little more expensive, but all the reviews on Amazon gave it 4 or 5 stars, whereas the cheaper ones all had 2 or 3 stars and would break after a week or so of use.

I've got one at home and one at work since I've got docks in both places and both are holding up well. On CableJive's website, they're about $24 a piece and on Amazon, the cheapies are $15 a piece, so for the extra few dollars, I opted for quality over price.

itechyou

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
These cases definitely take a beating. I have one on my 4s and it popped off my four-wheeler while I was trail riding and there was no damage after flying off and bouncing down a 20 foot hill

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
itechyou: Have you ever had a problem with the port covers ripping off? I looked at one of these today (they were at Walmart like hilol said) and the port covers just seemed so thin and chintzy to me. I feel like they could easily rip off taking the phone out of my pocket.

Does anyone have any recommendations for another "rugged" case? I have a defender, but my silicone is warped/stretched out. Not sure if there are any other options out there other than OB, LP and Griffin.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
...Does anyone have any recommendations for another "rugged" case? I have a defender, but my silicone is warped/stretched out. Not sure if there are any other options out there other than OB, LP and Griffin.

You can look at the Ballistic HC It pretty big with the Silicon on but you can take the Silicon off and still have very good protection. That what my son does. He likes the OBD but uses the Ballistic mostly because w/o the silicon he can slip it in and out of his pocket easily.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I have a defender, but my silicone is warped/stretched out. Not sure if there are any other options out there other than OB, LP and Griffin.

iLive, suggestion: for your OB, call OB customer service & explain to them the issue(s) with your defender - their CS is awesome & should send you a replacement with no problems. A while back(maybe in Feb?), i had to request a replacement because the white silicone outter on one of mine was starting to yellow - they sent me a replacement & i didn't have to return the 'defective' one, although i did offer to:) It took about 2 weeks to receive the replacement, so in that time, you could weigh out your options of what you'd like to get for another rugged style case:)

Reactions: iLive an iLife

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Pink, that's exactly what I did. I just got off the phone with Otterbox and they are sending out a replacement for me. The girl I spoke with was really nice and said I should have it next week. I think I'll probably just stick with this - the devil you know is better than the one you don't! If I can save a few bones, I might as well. :roll eyes:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
iLive, thats good to hear - OB does have great cust serv when it comes to warranty issues;) and honestly, out of all my cases i use, the defender is indeed one of my faves with specks cs right there with'em!!

I'm acutally going to hold off on the griffin survivor myself because i really want the new Studio series defender in the 'celestial' print - its so pretty and girly:)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I am NOT so patiently waiting on the new Armor Series from OtterBox. It's their new "protect you from everything" case. It's their answer to LifeProof.:p

it appears to seal like a LP, BUT the Armor case has a 10 ft./30 minute limit, where as the LP has no time limit but can go no deeper than 6.6 ft.

they sure are taking longer than expected to release this case too...last email i rec'd it was sup'd to be ready by June 24th.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
The boys and I do a lot of outdoor stuff. Camping, Fishing, Football, Baseball, etc. I mainly want case that is waterproof, drop proof,and Dustproof. How deep in water it can go does not bother me too much. If I am 10ft underwater for more ethan 10 mins., I promise you my phone is the last worry I will have!! :D

We were looking at the LP but when we heard OB was coming out with this case, we decided to wait and see. I actually G+ OtterBox they other day and asked about the delay and they said they were going to have an announcement this week. We will see. :roll eyes:

Another reason I am hesitant about any case right now is that my contract is up this November and the iP5 should be out then. I don't want spend $80+ on a case and it not fit the new phone. That would stink! I'll just keep my Defender on for now and wait and see what happens.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
iLive, thats good to hear - OB does have great cust serv when it comes to warranty issues;) and honestly, out of all my cases i use, the defender is indeed one of my faves with specks cs right there with'em!!

I'm acutally going to hold off on the griffin survivor myself because i really want the new Studio series defender in the 'celestial' print - its so pretty and girly:)

Their customer service is outstanding. I was so shocked and surprised by how quick and friendly they are. I absolutely love Amazon and that's the main reason - their customer service can't be beat. After my experience today, I might have to throw Life Proof to the curb and go with an Armor case when the time comes.

PS - When I was looking up the phone number for OtterBox on their site, I saw all those new defenders. Definitely girly, but a nice addition to their lineup nevertheless.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The boys and I do a lot of outdoor stuff. Camping, Fishing, Football, Baseball, etc. I mainly want case that is waterproof, drop proof,and Dustproof. How deep in water it can go does not bother me too much. If I am 10ft underwater for more ethan 10 mins., I promise you my phone is the last worry I will have!! :D

We were looking at the LP but when we heard OB was coming out with this case, we decided to wait and see. I actually G+ OtterBox they other day and asked about the delay and they said they were going to have an announcement this week. We will see. :roll eyes:

Another reason I am hesitant about any case right now is that my contract is up this November and the iP5 should be out then. I don't want spend $80+ on a case and it not fit the new phone. That would stink! I'll just keep my Defender on for now and wait and see what happens.
:)OK, i just wanted to point out the depth/time limit out to you just in case its something that could have effected you using the case or not. As far as your contract, if its going to be up soon, and the iP5 drops soon, then yes, i would hold off as well instead of spending the $80 in this phone now;)

Their customer service is outstanding. I was so shocked and surprised by how quick and friendly they are. I absolutely love Amazon and that's the main reason - their customer service can't be beat. After my experience today, I might have to throw Life Proof to the curb and go with an Armor case when the time comes.

PS - When I was looking up the phone number for OtterBox on their site, I saw all those new defenders. Definitely girly, but a nice addition to their lineup nevertheless.
i've been waiting for the Armor to come out as well because i'd like to take a look at it too;):)

(and YES, all those new defenders are DEFINATELY a great addition to the line - us girls...well me at least, like to have girly colors, but adding a frilly print to it is a plus indeed:D )

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I've been getting A LOT of emails from OtterBox. I think I've received 8 or 9 in the last 24. I had several "incident" number (all of them were different). Apparently when I called in yesterday, the rep made a mistake and somehow my warranty replacement order was multiplied. I called today to straighten it out. I had 4 cases in their system to be sent out (2 black and 2 glacier). That was the vibe I was getting since all the numbers were different. I'm glad I caught them before they were sent out. I appreciate them sending out the replacement as it is - didn't want to take advantage of their policy. That's how people ruin a good thing!

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
So I've been getting A LOT of emails from OtterBox. I think I've received 8 or 9 in the last 24. I had several "incident" number (all of them were different). Apparently when I called in yesterday, the rep made a mistake and somehow my warranty replacement order was multiplied. I called today to straighten it out. I had 4 cases in their system to be sent out (2 black and 2 glacier). That was the vibe I was getting since all the numbers were different. I'm glad I caught them before they were sent out. I appreciate them sending out the replacement as it is - didn't want to take advantage of their policy. That's how people ruin a good thing!
OMG :eek: not just 1 replacement but 4 !! LOL. I'm glad to hear that you called in (as i wouldve too) to straighten that mess out so that you receive the 1 replacement that is actually due to you:)

some people would've unfortunately seen an opportunity to take advantage, and either give them away to friends, or sell them to make a few bucks - and your right, thats how a good thing can be ruined!!

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
You can look at the Ballistic HC It pretty big with the Silicon on but you can take the Silicon off and still have very good protection. That what my son does. He likes the OBD but uses the Ballistic mostly because w/o the silicon he can slip it in and out of his pocket easily.

+1 on the Ballistics. I have two and love using them. Still can't dock the iPhone without the CableJive thingie, but at least when you take the cases off repeatedly, the silicone doesn't stretch out. My only complaint is the camera lens cover gets grimy quickly and it's a PITA to clean properly. My photos look grainy if I don't keep the lens cover clean.

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
:)SO i caved in on Sunday & bought a Griffin Survivor in pink/white. Here's my take on it:

First off, i got my griffin from Amazon in the 'warehouse deals' section of Amazon & it was labeled as "used - like new condition" but in original packagin - I paid ONLY $17 for it plus $5 in shipping = $22.33 to be exact. When i opened everything up, NOTHING was missing or damaged and there was not one mark on the case - its brand new!! I ordered it Sunday & i got it Tues.

So, as far as the case goes - the shell of it has a screen protector built in like the ob BUT in addition - there is also screen protection over the ear piece - it does NOT interfere with hearing callers & the proximity sensor works fine too. Every thing is covered with little door tabs, including the camera. The tab also covers over the headphone hole, but it does not seem to interfere with the little hole (voice thingy) next to it - i used my phone on speaker earlier and the caller heard me just fine. Overall, i really love the way the silicone outter sits on the shell - it doesnt peel back or stretch out, like the ob def's can.

Now, the ONLY 2 things i noticed with this case: 1) it seems a teeny bit bigger than the ob defender but i didn't compare them, and the outter case is definately meatier too. 2) on the face of the phone, where you would type in portrait mode - the way the shell sits up taller than the ob does it can get in the way a bit when texting, typing an email etc. I've been using my phone a decent amount this morn till now & its hasnt really gotten to me.

Overall this case seals more than an OB does & even though its not waterproof, I really think i MIGHT have finally found "the" case....imagine that?!?! LOL!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR