griffin survivor - awesome

hilol

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, i love otterbox defenders. They look great, last a long time. But, i think ive found something better. The griffin survivor, is $35-40 depending on where you get it, and i think it's tougher than the defender. With the price of a commuter, this case seems so much better. The screen protector is a lot better, but the only downfall i've had withthe case is, that its hard to choose a letter on either edge of the keyboard. other than that, it's great! i got the the white silicone/black plastic version and so far it's not showing any damage. My friend used onefor when she went to senior week, she dropped her phone soo manytimes, but, not a scratchon the phone. yet, the girl she went with had an obx defender and she dropped it facedown, waist length, on the sidewalk andthe screen shattered. kinda disappointing? anyway, i think everyone should have a griffin survivor, it might not be the best looking case out there, but it sure gets the job done, and gets it done well!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
:eek: OMG I just went onto the griffin website and watched the video demonstration they have for the case. That guy put the phone through so much it was painful to watch:eek: LOL

hilol

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
see!! isn't it cool, pink?? and they have girly colors. i definitely think you should add one or two to your case collection!!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
see!! isn't it cool, pink?? and they have girly colors. i definitely think you should add one or two to your case collection!!

Lol. Just what I need another case lmao. But hey I may consider the pink/white one tho. I did order a defender style case from EBay for 6 bucks in pink silicone/white shell as OB does not have this combo avail for the 4S. So if that works out il be happy with it but if not, I'll look into investing in this one:)

How long have you had this case for? I'd like to know how it wears with time and what kind of abuse you put on it. Lol.

hilol

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for 24 hours -- but I have a friend who's had hers for 3 months and it looks perfectly normal, the silicone is just shiny from being used I gues. She loves it and doesn't consider even getting a new case!!

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
:eek: OMG I just went onto the griffin website and watched the video demonstration they have for the case. That guy put the phone through so much it was painful to watch:eek: LOL

Holy crap :eek:

I definitely cringed while watching that video... I've got to hand it to Griffin though, they made a great case!! Granted, it's not completely water proof but that coverage is still really impressive. I keep longing for a Lifeproof, as Pink know haha, but I think this might be a better bet! I don't really need total waterproof, just water resistant (for rain and such). How difficult is it getting this case on and off?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for 24 hours -- but I have a friend who's had hers for 3 months and it looks perfectly normal, the silicone is just shiny from being used I gues. She loves it and doesn't consider even getting a new case!!

ok, well i've really been considering getting this case in the pink/white of course:D lol

I do have a few questions for either you hilol, or your friend - i've read some reviews regarding this case with the white iPhone - claiming that the camera flash washes out the pix & that it affects the front proximity sensor & front facing camera function. could you confirm if tany of hese are an issue at all - i would really appreciate it:) Idk if either of you have the white iphone, but if so it would be great to find out about these 3 things.

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Holy crap :eek:

I definitely cringed while watching that video... I've got to hand it to Griffin though, they made a great case!! Granted, it's not completely water proof but that coverage is still really impressive. I keep longing for a Lifeproof, as Pink know haha, but I think this might be a better bet! I don't really need total waterproof, just water resistant (for rain and such). How difficult is it getting this case on and off?

it does indeed look like an awesome case;) i've been looking into getting one myself - reading some reviews here and there:) It also appears to assemble like an otterbox defender does by inserting the phone into the plastic shell and snapping that shut & then simply putting the fitted silicone casing over it into place. It does show the guy taking it off in the vid, but ya gotta really pay attention closely to 'see' it being taken off:)

edit: also, iLive, in the very beginning few seconds of the vid it does show the guy putting the case on too:)

Last edited:

hilol

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Pink, I have not had a picture wash out, neither has a friend. I just asked about her front facing camera and proximity sensor, and she's had neither problems. Taking the case on and off is so easy. 10x easier than an otterbox IMO. Hope this helped you out and pushes you to getting the case. Btw, me and my friend have both cut off the camera flap thing. It's so annoying and doesn't stay in the little hole - so if I were you, id just cut it off, it'll work out better for you!

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Pink, I have not had a picture wash out, neither has a friend. I just asked about her front facing camera and proximity sensor, and she's had neither problems. Taking the case on and off is so easy. 10x easier than an otterbox IMO. Hope this helped you out and pushes you to getting the case. Btw, me and my friend have both cut off the camera flap thing. It's so annoying and doesn't stay in the little hole - so if I were you, id just cut it off, it'll work out better for you!

Thanks hilol for the info. In fact I just called a Target store near me & they have it in the pink/black-not my first color choice but at least I can go and check out the case in hand so il know for sure if I like it or not:) if I do, I'll just get the pink/white from online. Now what I don't understand is Target has them for $40 whereas as the Griffin site has them for $49.99 SO, if I do wind up liking the pink black I may just get it & save the $10 bucks. We'll see how it goes!

As for that little camera flap your talking about, I did read a few reviews that like you & your friend, they cut it off completely without any issues - so if I get the case, I'll consider that option as well.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
well.....that trip was a wasted trip. Target had the case, but i wasn't able to open the package to actually look at and feel the case, and possibly try it on. Also, the rep i spoke to on the phone made a mistake, the pink/black was for the latest gen itouch, so they only had the all black for the 4/4S:(

I did find the pink/white on Amazon for about $37 i think it was. So idk, maybe i'll order it. In the meantime i am waiting for my knock off OB defender to come from Ebay - it shipped from China on 7/2 so hopefully it'll be here soon:) If i don't like it, i can push that aside for the $6 i spent on it, and move on to try the Griffin then:)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Is the Griffin about the same size as the OB?

Just from looking at the Griffin Survivor through the packaging, it does appear to be about the same size as an OB defender, if not maybe just a tiny bit bigger but not by much. The outter silicone design is more rugged looking though, giving it a 'meatier' appearance compared to the defender:)

Reactions: cyberpaw

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Pink - you are so knowledgable about cases for iPhone. Do you think if I picked up the Survivor with a dock extender I could dock it in my iHome? The iHome I have works with my CandyShell, so it's already pretty deep.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried really hard to like the Griffin Survivor, but one thing made me return it. The belt clip didn't cover the entire face of the phone like the Defender does. I doubt I'll ever own a case that doesn't have a built in screen protector, but to me at least, the Survivor belt clip just looked way too flimsy to hold my phone in place, especially when I'm doing something other than sitting down. The case fit my phone fine and I liked it, but the belt clip sucked. I couldn't take the risk of something hitting the screen where the belt clip didn't protect it.

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Just from looking at the Griffin Survivor through the packaging, it does appear to be about the same size as an OB defender, if not maybe just a tiny bit bigger but not by much. The outter silicone design is more rugged looking though, giving it a 'meatier' appearance compared to the defender:)

Though I took my Survivor back, it's roughly the same size as an Otterbox and you will need a dock extender to dock on any iHome. I tried docking mine with the Survivor on and it wouldn't fit. Had to use my dock extender to dock it to my iHome.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Pink - you are so knowledgable about cases for iPhone. Do you think if I picked up the Survivor with a dock extender I could dock it in my iHome? The iHome I have works with my CandyShell, so it's already pretty deep.
Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
Though I took my Survivor back, it's roughly the same size as an Otterbox and you will need a dock extender to dock on any iHome. I tried docking mine with the Survivor on and it wouldn't fit. Had to use my dock extender to dock it to my iHome.
iLive, I see Laura addressed the answer to your needing a dock extender for your iHome in this post above^ :)thx for that info Laura!

I tried really hard to like the Griffin Survivor, but one thing made me return it. The belt clip didn't cover the entire face of the phone like the Defender does. I doubt I'll ever own a case that doesn't have a built in screen protector, but to me at least, the Survivor belt clip just looked way too flimsy to hold my phone in place, especially when I'm doing something other than sitting down. The case fit my phone fine and I liked it, but the belt clip sucked. I couldn't take the risk of something hitting the screen where the belt clip didn't protect it.
Thx for your input on this Laura:) I don't need/use the belt clip for any of my OB defender cases, so I won't be using it for the survivor case either. But I did also read in quite a few of the reviews of people complaining about the flimsy belt clip too.

Now as for the iHome, I wound up just giving it to my daughter as she definitely gets use out of it/enjoys it more than I ever would of:) so I don't need to worry about docking it with the case either;)

hilol

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Pink, do you have a Walmart anywhere near you? Every Walmart in my area has every color available for this case for 35 dollars, if you don't mind me asking, where do you live? Anyway, Walmart should have every color. The meatier appearance might be scary at first (lol) but after holding the phone in it and living with it for 2 days or so, you'll definitely love the feeling of it. I sure do!! I hope you consider/get this case, pink! I know you'll love it. And for the belt clip, it sucks. I walked out of Walmart and threw it in the trash can on my way out ..✌ belt clip!!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR