It looks like my dream case may finally become a reality: FreedomPops New iPhone Case Promises Users Free Wireless Data | TechCrunch

Essentially, it's a case that doubles as a WiFi hotspot for your iPhone4/4S, providing you with mobile data on the go. The BEST part, though, is that the first gigabyte is said to be FREE (you do provide a deposit for the case, but that's it until you go over the limit). From the article:

As I understand it, each FreedomPop iPhone case user will have free access to a 1GB data plan right off the bat. Thats the only plan that FreedomPop will offer for the sleeve, though their overage fees seem strangely familiar: each MB over the limit will cost a penny, which means every gigabyte over the limit is $10. Thats not to say that FreedomPop users can ditch their carriers entirely the case alone isnt enough to let users place voice calls, and major carriers generally wont let you buy a smartphone without a data plan to go with it.

There are still some costs involved though, specifically a deposit that each user has to shell out for a WiMax-friendly iPhone case of their own. My source tells me that the deposit will be under $100, and will be fully refundable to customers if they ever choose to discontinue their service so long as the sleeve is still in good condition.

Users will also be running on ClearWires 4G network, and while that isnt as fast as AT&T or Verizon LTE, its often more than enough to give 3G networks a run for their money (depending on their location, anyway). Their reliance on ClearWire could prove to be a bit of a stumbling block since it doesnt have the biggest footprint, but FreedomPop is currently in talks with other major wireless providers about the possibility of branching out.

Here's to hoping! I would drop my seldom used plan in a heartbeat if I could get this working...the few times I use my phone for calling, I could just use Talkatone/Google Voice and be happy with it.
    03-21-2012 09:05 PM
    I was reading about this yesterday. The data they give you will be gone in a heartbeat. Not to mention you could only use it if you're in a WiMax city. (Ever been in one?)
    03-22-2012 06:33 AM
    I'm hoping this last part will pan out:

Their reliance on ClearWire could prove to be a bit of a stumbling block since it doesnt have the biggest footprint, but FreedomPop is currently in talks with other major wireless providers about the possibility of branching out.

I definitely could get by on a gig/month though. I'm on wifi most of the day, so my usage stats are no problem. And even if I did go over, I'd have to be SEVEN gigs over the limit to match what I'm paying AT&T each month. It's crazy: my phone bill is more than my electric bill.
    03-22-2012 09:26 AM
    I use Clear's apollo modem as an hotspot. It has actually replaced my home Internet. It works great and despite the bad reviews on Clear I have great coverage. I get 8mb to 11mb download speed and 1.5 upload which is what they promise. It is truly unlimited I have used over 200,000gb without getting throttled. I would still buy this case so I wouldn't have to take two devices with me. Especially since I very seldom use my phone's data when I am out. But for those rare times this is perfect.
    Last edited by jeans94621; 03-22-2012 at 10:33 AM.
    03-22-2012 10:28 AM
    my dream case would also need the look...
    03-22-2012 03:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD