"New" iPad 3 "back" covers

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Keep an eye out a few weeks after launch. I'm sure companies like Speck will make back only covers that will work with the smartcover (there's a bunch out there for the iPad 2, guessing they will make versions for the new one).

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if the Speck SmartShell for iPad 2 will fit on this? I have a smart cover already, so I'd like a back cover that has a little magnet on the back to hold the cover in place when it's folded back. Are there any other back covers that will do the trick?

seabrook

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a XCase TPU snap-on case that accommodates smart covers from XGear on Ebay for $16.29 that works fine. Shipped from California it took only two days to arrive in Maryland.

Last edited:

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I ended up ordering one of these, the Incipio Smart Feather case for the new iPad. It's pretty much perfect for what I want, with the exception of it having an extra magnet in the back for holding the smart cover in place when folded back. However, I think I'm just going to buy a small rare earth magnet and superglue it to the case for this purpose.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The iPad 2 version works well on the 3 also. So that's always an option. Of course one designed exactly for the 3 would be better. :)

I loaned mine to a buddy to test on his 3rd gen iPad... it fit with a little "persuasion" and then it happened... one of the little tabs on the back cover snapped off... now it won't stay on my iPad2 or his 3rd gen iPad. #fail

dbdynsty25

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I loaned mine to a buddy to test on his 3rd gen iPad... it fit with a little "persuasion" and then it happened... one of the little tabs on the back cover snapped off... now it won't stay on my iPad2 or his 3rd gen iPad. #fail

Yes, that would be a fail. Most of the reviews on the Belkin case say it's not very durable, so I suppose if you needed that persuasion, it was bound to fail. Mine snapped on pretty well. Obviously there must be a bit of a variance when it comes to the production of the Belkins, even if it's minuscule.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
That is the one I just bought today and have no issues with it and I am running a smart cover also.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaMFtalk

That is a great case, ordered mine this morning. Also the plastic resists dulling unlike a lot of other plastic covers.

mjsavage

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the case mate barley there back cover for the iPad 2 on my new iPad and it works great with the smart over No problems with it fixing.

Enforcer#IM

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
There is a back cover that works with the smart cover. It assists by locking down the smart cover to prevent it from coming off. iMore either mentioned it on a podcast or on the web. I just can not remember what the name of the cover was. A little help please for this old man.

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
There is a back cover that works with the smart cover. It assists by locking down the smart cover to prevent it from coming off. iMore either mentioned it on a podcast or on the web. I just can not remember what the name of the cover was. A little help please for this old man.
It's probably the Incipio Smart Feather. I linked to it in my post up above.

Reactions: Enforcer#IM