"New" iPad 3 "back" covers

teepeeayy

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Bought Targus Vuscape: Love it

I just got the Targus Vuscape from BB. Love it! No issues with the magnet not putting the New Ipad to sleep. I like how it fits in, the edges are flexible, but when you shake it, the Ipad doesn't go anywhere, its very secure. I like the multiple viewing angles too. Simple in design.

CrzyP

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I ended up ordering one of these, the Incipio Smart Feather case for the new iPad. It's pretty much perfect for what I want, with the exception of it having an extra magnet in the back for holding the smart cover in place when folded back. However, I think I'm just going to buy a small rare earth magnet and superglue it to the case for this purpose.

So are you saying it does not have the magnet on the back to secure the smart cover flat to the back?

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
So are you saying it does not have the magnet on the back to secure the smart cover flat to the back?
Correct, it does not have a magnet on the back to hold the smart cover in place, which is something I wanted. However, I really like the case otherwise, and I have an order on the way from J&K for a nice strong magnet to glue onto the back for it. Should work perfectly.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Amazon has shipping dates on the Belkin snapshield for new ipad. Black or Clear. Estimated arrival date: April 13, 2012 - April 18, 2012 on my preorder now.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Amazon has shipping dates on the Belkin snapshield for new ipad. Black or Clear. Estimated arrival date: April 13, 2012 - April 18, 2012 on my preorder now.

I bought Belkin snap shield in clear for new iPad at best buy tonight. They had about 50 in stock. Guy said they just got them in.

Reactions: cardfan

teejaywhy

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a clear iPad 2 back cover from Amazon for less than $5 including shipping. It arrived yesterday and fits great. I am using it with my SmartCover until I figure out exactly how I will use my new iPad.

Sent from my *new* iPad using Tapatalk HD

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I used the Belkin snap on for the back of my 2; had to buy a second one as as first cracked horribly despite normal use. My second one has a crack on the lower left side; cracked within 2 weeks of use; very annoying as I really like the concept of the back shield and the look of the Belkin one. I'm using it on my new iPad until I get a back shield made specifically for it. The fit of this one is a little loose on the new iPad. I also use a smart cover.

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Just got my Incipio Smart Feather back case in yesterday. It fits perfectly, and the iridescent grey color goes great with my dark grey smart cover. I also really like how it locks the smart cover in place so my six-year-old can't accidentally pull it it off during use. Once I get my magnets in and mod this thing it'll be perfect.

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Yup just make sure you get the right one. They have on that says for the 2 and one that says 3rd generation. The packaging is completely redesigned.

Thanks for the heads-up. Rode up to my nearest BB and the had 'em in stock for the new iPad. I am happy now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
You will get regret if you buy an iPad 2 smart cover for New iPad 3, for ipad 2 smart cover will not work on iPad 3, the auto sleep/wake up function is not work...we test this and it don't work..

Hmm, not exactly. With third party smart covers, yes, there have been some issues with some of them not working. However, the official Apple smart covers work just fine with no problem on the new iPad.

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
So I got my magnets in today. You know, it was a great idea in theory, but in execution... not so much. At least, not in the way I managed to execute it.

Protip - If you get too much superglue on your case, DO NOT TRY TO GET IT OFF WITH ACETONE! It will eat the finish right off of your case. That said, though there are now a few cosmetic blemishes on my case, the magnets work perfectly to hold the smart cover in place where it needs to be, so functionally it's exactly what I wanted.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Yup just make sure you get the right one. They have on that says for the 2 and one that says 3rd generation. The packaging is completely redesigned.

So i got one yesterday, made sure it said 3rd generation on it, and it seemed to fit ok. After using the ipad tonight though for an hour or so, the sides of the ipad got kind of annoying. Sharp edges from the belkin case basically. Especially if held in landscape.

It doesn't feel at all like the ipad 2 did with that belkin case. It's been a month or so since i sold it so hard to remember. But i don't remember sharp edges or it being this uncomfortable especially held in landscape view. Maybe i got a bad case or something.. I feel like i'm using a giant palm pre. Got ridges in my palms.

Anyone else having problems with this?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
So i got one yesterday, made sure it said 3rd generation on it, and it seemed to fit ok. After using the ipad tonight though for an hour or so, the sides of the ipad got kind of annoying. Sharp edges from the belkin case basically. Especially if held in landscape.

It doesn't feel at all like the ipad 2 did with that belkin case. It's been a month or so since i sold it so hard to remember. But i don't remember sharp edges or it being this uncomfortable especially held in landscape view. Maybe i got a bad case or something.. I feel like i'm using a giant palm pre. Got ridges in my palms.

Anyone else having problems with this?

I agree. After 2 days of use, I'm not liking it. I will keep it until hopefully the Incase snap comes out and then I'll return it.

ChemEngr

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any advice on what back covers would work with the Apple leather smart cover?

Thanks

Search for Luvvitt on Amazon (make sure it says compatible with iPad3). They are pricey @ $30, but well worth the money. It fits BOTH iPad 2 & 3 just fine - it is of a flexible plastic material but very durable. It was so good, I ordered 3 more for other iPads in the household. The best design I've seen that works with smartcovers.

You will get regret if you buy an iPad 2 smart cover for New iPad 3, for ipad 2 smart cover will not work on iPad 3, the auto sleep/wake up function is not work...we test this and it don't work..

The official Apple iPad2 smartcovers work just fine on new iPad. We have 3.

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I got my Incipio Smart Feather case today. So far I am loving it. No, it doesn't have magnets, but I will get one with magnets when they come out. For now this case is perfect, and it wasn't that expensive either.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

You are only 50% correct. I have a smart cover from the iPad 2 and mine works fine on the iPad 3. If your smart cover from the 2 was purchased earlier rather than later, you may have the magnet issue. Apple changed this sometime during the year.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77