• Screen protector only:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No protection at all:

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I missed the specs for the new iPad. Anyone know if the iPad 2 cases will fit the new iPad 3?

All iPad 3 owners, how will you protect your new iPad 3 when you get it?

irie

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Some cases may fit, others may not. I think it is .6mm thicker.
Smart covers should fit fine due to it just covering the screen.

I will be getting screen protector and a generic Smart cover case with a back cover.

Eventually I am going to get a case with a keyboard but I wanna wait until they get a little smaller.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
just checked on the apple site and the smart covers say they are compatible with the iPad 2 and later so that one should fit- I hope so cause I just ordered the blue one from amazon- Now I just need something for the back- I am thinking invisahield or something similar

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I'll only be using a case so I can have a stand. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably keep it naked.

iSRS

iOS & macOS Champion, Trusted Member
Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
From what I am reading, third party "Smart Cover" like cases do not trigger the screen off/on function. I guess Apple moved the magnets. Anyone know for sure? Traveling cross country in 10 days and would like a decent case prior.

decarlo4

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the Targus folio case for the new iPad and it triggers the sleep function for the screen.

Sent from my "new" iPad using Tapatalk

seabrook

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I bought a non-Apple smart cover on Ebay for $15 delivered. No problems, both in appearance and on/off operation. I then added a snap-on TPU back protector for smart covers by XGear again on Ebay for $16 delivered. Done!

Last edited:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I ordered from amazon. Got two apple smart covers. Both open box. A navy leather for $24 and the pastel blue for $20. I'm going with icarbon skin for back

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the Targus Vuscape (specifically for the 3rd gen) today at BB. I'll be trying it out when I get home tonight and will report back. Hearing conflicting reports of the "Smart Cover" like functions working, but wonder if those having the intermittent issues actually got one designed for the iPad 2 unknowingly.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the Targus Vuscape (specifically for the 3rd gen) today at BB. I'll be trying it out when I get home tonight and will report back. Hearing conflicting reports of the "Smart Cover" like functions working, but wonder if those having the intermittent issues actually got one designed for the iPad 2 unknowingly.

Well, I can confirm this one (link below) does indeed fit and the "Smart Cover" like function works without issue. My Best Buy had both the one for the iPad 2 and the new iPad side by side, so there could be some confusion. They are different skus and model numbers, so it is more than just an additional label with the same product.

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...174%253B%2B%283rd%2BGeneration&token=KgfTFYyW

decarlo4

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

I have that case and it works just fine for me.

iSRS

Champion
Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have that case and it works just fine for me.

Yeah, I am pretty impressed with it. Read some reviews on best buy or amazon, people complaining about the typing angle, and not being firm enough, but I have no issues.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner