New OtterBox Commuter Cases (4S)

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone!!

So I have been sporting an OtterBox Defender in Gray/White for the last few months. Since the weather is warming up, I'd like to switch and use something lighter. I was thinking about picking up a Commuter case but I'm a little worried about the quality of the new cases. A friend of mine ordered the Gray/Yellow Commuter and got incredibly dirty in less than a week (I've also read a few reviews online about people purchasing the Commuter cases only to have them completely filthy in a few days). Does anyone here have experience with the new style of Commuter? Which color combination do you have? Does it get dirty easily? Thoughts? Also, does the plastic shell fit correctly with the silicone? Any feedback here is appreciated!

Thanks!!

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The reflex is pretty nice, doesn't attract any dirt but has a tendency to scratch the antenna if you put in on and take it off a lot.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes the new style commuters get dirty easily and it's cuz the went To a stiffer silicone ... I have quit using them altogether and have since moved in to the Candyshell and Candyshell Flip - great cases

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback everyone! If I went with the Commuter, I'd pick up the all black one anyway... I think I might stop at Verizon this afternoon...

Cleveland, I was thinking about a CandyShell... I have the flip now and it's gotten really scuffed up on the back (and I baby my phone)... I'll investigate this afternoon and possibly research a little more...

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to post some updated feedback... I stopped in my local Verizon store... They have a box of cases that are already opened for people to try... I looked at 3 different OtterBox Commuter cases and none of them would fit on my iPhone right... I actually ordered one months ago (when I first bought the phone) and there was a small lip on the side that wouldn't sit flush (I ended up returning it)... The cases I tried today wouldn't even fit on the iPhone at all. The entire right side bulged up and the polycarbonate plastic didn't even fit against the back of the phone. It was very strange.

I may look into a new CandyShell. Any other recommendations? I have to admit, I am really disappointed...

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to find one i like better than the Candyshell. I wish they'd make a matte version of all the colors.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I have the navy blue and black and a royal blue and white. I mix and match the colors. The white will stay clean as long as you wipe it down every other day or so

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I tried the hot pink & white commuter(last month). I loved it at first-then after a day I just didn't care for the way the case felt or how my phone felt inside the case....if that makes any sense. Lol.I returned it.

the Speck candy shell cases are really nice- I'd recommend them if that's the type of case your looking for:)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I tried the hot pink & white commuter(last month). I loved it at first-then after a day I just didn't care for the way the case felt or how my phone felt inside the case....if that makes any sense. Lol.I returned it.

the Speck candy shell cases are really nice- I'd recommend them if that's the type of case your looking for:)

wow really? I love the way the Commuter feels in hand. Its my favorite case. My 2nd would be the Candyshell Flip. My only complaint is it scratches so freaking easy. The regular Candyshell is a pain to take off so I don't even use it anymore.

CavemanOOGA

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site

Did the exact same thing. I picked up a 4S for my girlfriend after I got one, and I decided to get us some cases while we were there. She went with a Speck Candyshell case, and I went with the Commuter. After I put both of ours on, I was just far too impressed with how much more sleek hers looked and felt. Where as my Commuter actually felt a little awkward to me...

Top that off with the fact that it was just one of the more underwhelming Commuter series cases I have used, on terms of quality.

So, we left the store for literally an hours, and I came back to swap it out for one like hers. I like it far better!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
wow really? I love the way the Commuter feels in hand. Its my favorite case. My 2nd would be the Candyshell Flip. My only complaint is it scratches so freaking easy. The regular Candyshell is a pain to take off so I don't even use it anymore.

Yea. Idk I also didn't like the way to top piece sat 'into' the silicone shell. It never went into place completely in some spots & I wonder if it's because I have the white 4S, supposedly a tad bigger than the black4S. Idk. So that's why I returned mine.

As for the cs's, as many times I would change them on a daily basis I mastered how to take them on and off without struggling. Now that I haven't used them since my LP, idk now lol. I'd probably spaz out :p LOL.

With all this cs talk, I'm missing mine:eek: I might just take the LP off today for the day & use one.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yea. Idk I also didn't like the way to top piece sat 'into' the silicone shell. It never went into place completely in some spots & I wonder if it's because I have the white 4S, supposedly a tad bigger than the black4S. Idk. So that's why I returned mine.

As for the cs's, as many times I would change them on a daily basis I mastered how to take them on and off without struggling. Now that I haven't used them since my LP, idk now lol. I'd probably spaz out :p LOL.

With all this cs talk, I'm missing mine:eek: I might just take the LP off today for the day & use one.

Mine is a white 4S and I have 2 Commuters. Everything fits into place on mine. Maybe you had a bad skin.

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Mine is a white 4S and I have 2 Commuters. Everything hits into place on mine. Maybe you had a bad skin.

ya know Garz, i honestly didn't even think of that. I just fig'd because i had the white 4S those few mm's in size made a diff the way the cover fit. But overall i wasn't crazy about the feel of the case anyway, but thanks for pointing that out in case someone else may have the same issue of the top piece not sitting right as well-they could exchange it:)

jobosumm

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Teal otter box commuter yesterday. It fits everywhere just fine. No gaps or bulging or things not sitting right. I like the feel of it. I also have 2 candyshell cases that have been my primary cases till now. (Along with a dozen other cases) ---- Haven't tried the flip (yet). It can be challenging getting the phone out of the cs, but you get use to it. They do tend to scratch easy (the satin might be better? Idk I don't have one)

anon(73368)

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

Agreed about the way the top piece fits ober the insert. I've went through 3 black ones and all 3 are terrible. You litteraly have to play with it for minutes to get the to sides to fit right. Now I also have a envy green which the insert is stiffer silicone than my black ones that fits better. Also bought my wife a teal one that fits the same as the envy green. Another thing i dont like is how loose the insert fits toward the top of the phone. Its a dust collector lol! I highly recommend the speck candyshell. the back does get minor scuffs/scratches but its really not to bad. The speck fits the phone alot better than the commuter and lookls better also jmo. Its actually easy to get off you start at the volume control side and it pops right off. Its my favorite case as of now.:cool:

Last edited:

lynellej1

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
i like all of the otterbox cases. they have saved my phone from soooo many disasters.

you hear about this liquipel stuff?? i hear its amazing (and no i dont work for them)

:D

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Agreed about the way the top piece fits ober the insert. I've went through 3 black ones and all 3 are terrible. You litteraly have to play with it for minutes to get the to sides to fit right. Now I also have a envy green which the insert is stiffer silicone than my black ones that fits better. Also bought my wife a teal one that fits the same as the envy green. Another thing i dont like is how loose the insert fits toward the top of the phone. Its a dust collector lol! I highly recommend the speck candyshell. the back does get minor scuffs/scratches but its really not to bad. The speck fits the phone alot better than the commuter and lookls better also jmo. Its actually easy to get off you start at the volume control side and it pops right off. Its my favorite case as of now.:cool:

Out of alllll of the many many cases i've bought & used(& a few i returned), i am a Speck candyshell kinda girl & i love my LP as well. i broke down yest and took off the LP to use my RadBerry purple cs:)