Apple is sending me this item
    Olloclip Quick-Connect Lens Solution for iPhone 4S/4 - Apple Store (U.S.)

because of all the drama going on with my 4s situation. I thought it looked kind of cool, but I had never seen any reviews on here so I was curious if anyone owned it?
    01-02-2012 12:25 AM
    It does look very cool. The only person I'm familiar with that has one is the one that was for sale in the Marketplace forum a while back. I've read some good reviews on it though.
    01-02-2012 06:43 AM
    When she said "pick any accessory up to $100" I was just initially going to get cases or something I know I'd use, or speakers or something, but this popped up like a week ago again and I started reading and looking at youtube reviews and it looked neat. The photojojo stuff is always out of stock so I figured this was a good start anyway. I kind of want to find a glif or something so I can tripod with it too. I say this like Ill use it constantly.

I DO wish it would work with cases but Ill survive. I see their reasoning for it being how it is.

Ill have to do a review when I get and play with it a little.
    01-02-2012 12:22 PM
    I got the Olloclip today via FedEx. It was my were sorry you had so much drama with this iPhone 4s situation offering from Apple, for which I am immensely appreciative... That whole thing is a different story for a different day. But I have had 6 of the phones. SIX. I dunno where to go with that but this ones working. And I dont actually think its a problem on Apples end. Anyway...its appearing to be fixed so there we go.

I got this thing delivered today and when I got home I tested it out right when I opened the package after work tonight, thankfully the weather ROCKS today and it was sunny so I could get a few pics in real fast. Its tiny, It's a neat little thing, but the only lens I bothered with for the most part was the macro. I did a few wide angle but since my backyard and house are far from picturesque I didnt bother with that a lot! Maybe Ill go to the park this weekend or something and look for a photo op.

Anyway, I took a bunch of pics of my engagement ring because it was the first thing I thought of that might be neat for a closeup esp since my engagement ring stone is a unique branded cut and has a neat pattern. The lighting wasnt fantastic at this hour (430cst) so theyre not ideal but maybe Ill mess with it this weekend in better daylight. Not really intending to be a showoff so please don't be offended.

I also got a shot of my eye--and for the record I do not wear colored contacts (though some mornings i really wish I did bec I drop them in my white sink a little more often than I should admit). Thats my real eye color, though it is admittedly greener today than normal as I have on a green sweater, then some grass/weeds, and some of the wood on my deck in back. By the time I got done with the grass and my ring, my weird neighbor dude was outside tinkering with something in his yard and I was on the path to escape undetected. In part because for some reason the idea of this guy seeing me take ring photos was embarrassing, even though the idea of anyone seeing it any other time doesnt seem to bother me. But I digress...

The official website, olloclip(TM), describes the lenses as such:
    The Fisheye lens captures approximately a 180 Degree field-of-view and produces some striking images.

The Wide-Angle lens is great for when you need that extra field of view, approximately double that of the normal iPhone.

The Macro lens applies roughly a 10X multiplier and allows you to focus the iPhone within 12-15mm of the subject. The Macro lens is cleverly concealed within the olloclip and can be accessed by unscrewing the Wide-Angle lens that is normally attached to it.

With the Macro you REALLY do get RIGHT on the item. Like barely a half inch away. The phone tends to figure out the focusing pretty well though, and while it took a minute to get the thing ON the phone, especially since I was trying to get it on over a screen protector which this little thing promptly ruined and lifted, and about two more seconds to screw the wide-angle attachment back off the phone, I got it figured out pretty much instantly. It would be pretty cool at a sporting event or on a vacation to get a nice pic.

All you really do is slip it on over a naked iPhone 4/4s on the corner. Its just a plastic part with the lens on either side, it kind of straddles the power button (unless youre using the front camera anyway.)

Its a REALLY fun little thing though, I probably would buy it, though knowing its a waste of a Zagg...eh not a positive. But the photos you can get with this, esp in the macro area...DOPE.

The biggest, and, besides price ($69.99), only, CON I will say about it is, to me, a huge negative and kind of an epic fail in my opinion: It will rip your screen protector right off your screen. So if you use Zaggs or anything of the sort, don't get this unless you're eager to reapply a new one. I am replacing mine tomorrow night anyway, but just an FYI. I have concerns about it scratching the glass on the phone, but the company claims that isnt likely. It needs to fit snugly, I get that. But its still annoying. I have not tested out anything PhotoJojo (because its ALWAYS sold out!) but those appear to connect via magnet OR adhesive something, which also doesnt appeal to me. But for someone who isnt worried about ruining a screen protector, this is a cool little gizmo.

So here's the pics you're probably dying to see.

The only editing I did to these was cropping for size. I did not color correct, contrast, anything. Just cropped to be reasonable for web viewing. I hope that the crispness doesnt go away with the upload...

The following pics are with the Macro Lens:

(ps, ew my stone is dirty. and apparently i need some really good eye cream...wow.)

ETA:

UPDATE: On a whim since I need to reapply a Zagg this weekend, I tried it with a PowerSupport one that they sell at the Apple store (antiglare, not my favorite screen protector though) and it DID work with that. It didn't seem to jack it up either. Just wanted to point that out.
    Last edited by ame; 01-05-2012 at 09:37 PM.
    01-05-2012 08:17 PM
    And a couple with the Wide-Angle:

I have no desire to really mess with fisheye, I just am not interested in it!
    Last edited by ame; 01-05-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    01-05-2012 08:19 PM
    All I can say is WOW. Nicely written review, and the pix look amazing !! (even if your ring does need to be cleaned lol & my Grandmothers eyes were that green too ) this attachment does indeed seem really nice to use - I think it's a great little gadget - but idt I'd ever use something like this especially if needing to remove your case to use it is required, on top of having to worry about possibly ripping the screen protector. I'm just not that steady lol.

Good luck and enjoy your gift for all of your troubles you had with your past (6) iPhones. that was really nice of Apple to do for you !! Thanks for sharing with us !!
    01-05-2012 08:55 PM
    Thanks!!! Normally I thought they were...less vibrant or something. But I don't tend to stare at them much, only when Im spackling around them.

I do not like that the screen protector is whacked but maybe Ill try a thinner one sometime and see how that works, like one of those power supports or something.

Either way, super cool.
    01-05-2012 08:59 PM
    And a couple with the Wide-Angle:

I have no desire to really mess with fisheye, I just am not interested in it!
    All pics don't show and say error ? Is it just me ?

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    01-05-2012 09:46 PM
    i see them, like you have to click them to see but they're there for me.
    01-05-2012 10:06 PM
    Idk must be me lol

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    01-05-2012 10:39 PM
    Hmm. Maybe it's tapatalk? I think this iMore change is going to be a bit of a bugger for a while til all the kinks get worked out with files being renamed and redirected.
    01-05-2012 10:48 PM
    ame - could you do a photo with and without the clip on the same subject? Reason I ask is I recently took a photo of a ring with no extra lens (with my 4, before getting the 4s) and I thought it was pretty good for a closeup.
    01-06-2012 06:54 AM
    Hmm. Maybe it's tapatalk? I think this iMore change is going to be a bit of a bugger for a while til all the kinks get worked out with files being renamed and redirected.
    I agree it's tapatalk also--I had issues with it viewing attachments last week around New Yrs. I kept getting "error" popping up on the screen instead of the pix.

@Alli, gorgeous ring !!
    01-06-2012 07:23 AM
    ame - could you do a photo with and without the clip on the same subject? Reason I ask is I recently took a photo of a ring with no extra lens (with my 4, before getting the 4s) and I thought it was pretty good for a closeup.
    THAT is cool.

I will take a pic of my rings with the lens on and without. Ill try to do that tonight when I get home if I have enough light, otherwise tomorrow. I need a new hobby, I take a lot of pics of my rings. I did gemology school (that was kind of a fun thing to obtain, but hard!) and I am really into diamonds so, I take a lot of pics of them, and I enjoy them immensely. It does take amazing shots without the lens though, I've gotten a few cool ones of it without the lens in the past.

I got this one a few weeks ago sans Olloclip:
    It's cropped down and I had to knock down resolution to get it to post.
    01-06-2012 09:58 AM
    Geology, eh? Any tips on how I can sell that beaut in my picture? Recently appraised at around 8 grand so I'm not selling it on eBay!

I'll look forward to seeing your comparison pics. I also have a new lens coming and anxious to try it. I just love macro shots.
    01-06-2012 01:14 PM
    Well my best advice is honestly not to if you love it because you won't see anywhere near what your appraisal states the value would be. But NOT ebay!

Do you have a grading report from a lab like GIA or AGS or EGL? Appraisal value is for insurance and for a retail replacement should be it lost, stolen or irreparably damaged. Resale appraisals are a different animal. You might want to see if you can find an appraiser that is able to provide a resale value.

Diamonds are not generally very good investments unless they are significant provenance. They VERY rarely will resale anywhere near what was paid within recent years, even now with the cost of diamonds going WAY up in the last year, though that was mostly in rough and melee sized cut (little ones like in pave) and less in cut stones.

The best you can get financially is typically when you consign it. You can talk to a jeweler like Good Old Gold (goodoldgold.com on Long Island, NYC) or Pearlmans Jewelers (pearlmansjewelers.com I think, I think in Michigan) who both will do consignment, but it's not fast and no guarantee on cost/returns. You'd have to shop around jewelers with the report (which will need to be pretty recent, i.e. within the last calendar year, and the best resale is a GIA report) and see what kind of offer you will get. The biggest issue is that unless it's a sought after combination of size, color, clarity and cut quality, the jeweler can usually get one brand new with a newer report by going to their supplier for less than they could resell your stone for to another customer, so they're not as likely to buy from the private seller (you). If it's a unique antique cut it might have more bearing on the market--and if so, Jewels by Erica Grace (jewelsbyericagrace.com and in Seattle I think) would be a perfect place to contact for consignment as that is their primary market.
    Last edited by ame; 01-06-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    01-06-2012 01:29 PM
    Ok per the request, here are a few more photos:

This first set is my shoes, in order L to R
    Regular Camera, Wide Angle, Fisheye. No zoom was used. Just native how it was.
    01-06-2012 05:57 PM
    And my hand:

Native with no zoom, Macro, Macro, Wide Angle, Fisheye

And it's only slightly less gross today, I tried to wipe it down with alcohol before hand but I didn't want to lose the sun so I didn't clean it.
    01-06-2012 05:59 PM
    the fisheye lens is definately interesting looking lol.
    01-06-2012 06:38 PM
    Yea I have no interest in it but a few people asked about it. I only have intentions of using maybe wide angle and probably mostly macro.
    01-06-2012 06:48 PM
    Thanks ame. Now to sit back and wait for my macro lens to arrive.
    01-07-2012 11:00 AM
    Yea I have no interest in it but a few people asked about it. I only have intentions of using maybe wide angle and probably mostly macro.
    I think the macro lens will be great for shooting stuff like flowers, trees, leaves etc
    01-07-2012 12:03 PM
    Sure thing Alli!

I think the Macro is cool. Obviously I like itfor stones.
    01-07-2012 01:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD