Best Case Scenario

AlanG4s

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I am a bit late to this iPhone 4S case party so please forgive me (yes, I did search) for asking what I am sure has been asked over and over...

Part of the appeal for having an iPhone (for some of us) is letting others know you have an iPhone. All you have to do is look at how people list all their devices to know how much "stuff" seems to matter to some people and how they may think you may be impressed by it. I admit I enjoy the false illusion of status that having an iPhone creates in the minds of people who look at outside world things and draw conclusions. Who am I to correct someone who thinks I am spoiled or otherwise above the fray when I slip my iPhone out of my pocket and make sure they notice... yes, its an iPhone?

For this reason I feel it is such a shame to have to protect my phone with a case that completely obliterates the fact that I have an iPhone. I mean really, everyone has a phone and most of them can text and talk. But who among them can press a button and say, "who's your daddy" and have a female respond, "You are, now can we get back to work" and not have to explain to the wife who the skank was on my phone?

I don't really have time to look at every case mentioned in the many pages here to find something that protects and at the same time doesn't completely take away the advantage that a big lump in my jeans creates (I keep my phone in my left front pocket) especially when I slip it out and show it off. Nice plastic box you have there is not the response I am looking for. Oh, you have an iPhone is more to my liking.

:confused: What I am asking (finally) is what case out there protects and at the same time doesn't completely cover my iPhone so it is no longer recognizable? I'm seeking advice from an actual user of a case who doesn't want to cover up the fact that they have an iPhone. It should have a screen protector and back protector if open. I am not interested in a skin. It can be any material (aluminum, polycarbonate, jell, whatever) as long as it doesn't grab all the lint in my pocket and is easy to clean.

I am currently waiting on an Otterbox Reflex case to arrive in the mail but that seems a little extreme. In over 10 years I have dropped my phone maybe 3 times, two out of those three I used my foot to prevent a full on drop, and the other time I was sitting on the toilet and it didn't fall very far.

I keep my phone in my front pants pocket dangerously close to my n*tsack and don't want those to fall off so a case that can contain any potentially harmful seepage would be nice. Does such a case exist? I have no plans to have more kids but that doesn't mean I want to shoot radiation bombs either.

This raises another question, can said radiation bombs harm the receiver of such bombs? Is there research I can read?

This raises another question - where is the best, safest place for a man to carry a phone?

Oh, I have a black 4S and I'm not too fond of two tone color in a case but if it works it works.

Thanks in advance!

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I am a bit late to this iPhone 4S case party so please forgive me (yes, I did search) for asking what I am sure has been asked over and over...

Part of the appeal for having an iPhone (for some of us) is letting others know you have an iPhone. All you have to do is look at how people list all their devices to know how much "stuff" seems to matter to some people and how they may think you may be impressed by it. I admit I enjoy the false illusion of status that having an iPhone creates in the minds of people who look at outside world things and draw conclusions. Who am I to correct someone who thinks I am spoiled or otherwise above the fray when I slip my iPhone out of my pocket and make sure they notice... yes, its an iPhone?

For this reason I feel it is such a shame to have to protect my phone with a case that completely obliterates the fact that I have an iPhone. I mean really, everyone has a phone and most of them can text and talk. But who among them can press a button and say, "who's your daddy" and have a female respond, "You are, now can we get back to work" and not have to explain to the wife who the skank was on my phone?

I don't really have time to look at every case mentioned in the many pages here to find something that protects and at the same time doesn't completely take away the advantage that a big lump in my jeans creates (I keep my phone in my left front pocket) especially when I slip it out and show it off. Nice plastic box you have there is not the response I am looking for. Oh, you have an iPhone is more to my liking.

:confused: What I am asking (finally) is what case out there protects and at the same time doesn't completely cover my iPhone so it is no longer recognizable? I'm seeking advice from an actual user of a case who doesn't want to cover up the fact that they have an iPhone. It should have a screen protector and back protector if open. I am not interested in a skin. It can be any material (aluminum, polycarbonate, jell, whatever) as long as it doesn't grab all the lint in my pocket and is easy to clean.

I am currently waiting on an Otterbox Reflex case to arrive in the mail but that seems a little extreme. In over 10 years I have dropped my phone maybe 3 times, two out of those three I used my foot to prevent a full on drop, and the other time I was sitting on the toilet and it didn't fall very far.

I keep my phone in my front pants pocket dangerously close to my n*tsack and don't want those to fall off so a case that can contain any potentially harmful seepage would be nice. Does such a case exist? I have no plans to have more kids but that doesn't mean I want to shoot radiation bombs either.

This raises another question, can said radiation bombs harm the receiver of such bombs? Is there research I can read?

This raises another question - where is the best, safest place for a man to carry a phone?

Oh, I have a black 4S and I'm not too fond of two tone color in a case but if it works it works.

Thanks in advance!
I have zero to add besides the uproar of laughter the bolded part got from me.

vn906c

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I suggest the Incipio NGP case. Its a TPU material type case that has the benefits of a hard case for protection but wont damage the phone like some other hard cases. Doesnt catch lint at all, slick enough to go in and out of your pocket easily, but grippy enough to have a firm hold of your phone. Also, they way its designed, it is very screen protector friendly. I have gone through many cases over the years and this most definitely the best case Ive ever owned. Great price too, only $20! Check it out!

prophecyc2

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Sir, there is NO other case on the market besides the Snap Case by Incase that I would recommend to you. It's very low profile, fits great and comes in a clear color that will allow you to essentially show off your entire phone while offering an amount of protection you would feel comfortable with if you dropped it next time you are on the throne.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
TiPb advertises the "Pong" case to protect your "n*tsack" issues, but for minimal coverage, my preference has always been the Case-Mate Barely There. ;)

Btw, I had to read parts of your post to the hubby to explain my laughter! :D

AlanG4s

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I just got my new Speck Candy Shell Satin case. I love it . I also use the Otterbox Commuter case. It is awesome too.

Hey hoosieriphone - I've had my otterbox reflex case on a day so far and I'm thinking it isn't as extreme as I thought. I feel safer any way. It was a very snug fit the first time I tried to get in on but it's on.

Just checked out the Speck Candy shell satin case and it looks pretty sharp. I'm not crazy about two colors but the white/red might look pretty sweet on a black 4S. Thanks!

AlanG4s

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Sir, there is NO other case on the market besides the Snap Case by Incase that I would recommend to you...

Nice prophecyc2 - I had to look hard at the pictures to even tell it was there. Shows off the phone just the way I envision it coming out of my pocket. Not a bad price, even cheaper on Amazon. This one looks worthy.

Since the last throne drop I started pulling the bath mat under my feet so at least I have a small amount of protection while seated surfing. Old dogs can learn new tricks!

Thanks!

AlanG4s

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
TiPb advertises the "Pong" case to protect your "n*tsack" issues, but for minimal coverage, my preference has always been the Case-Mate Barely There. ;)

Thanks Brindawithanl - I looked into Pong, proven to reduce SAR up to 95% below FCC limits. Now I need to find out if FCC limits say it's acceptable for one to fall off since I have two?? I did like the Leather Touch Pong cases - it's not something I see very often which would add some wow factor.

Then, as I was looking at the Barely There cases I thought "more of the same" until I got to the Barely There 2 Series and thought YES some style. Again, the distressed brown leather unit caught my eye because it reminded me of a flask I once had (also kept in the front pocket for bulge appeal) that sadly :( got run over after a drunken night of "look what I can do". I lost a pair of sunglasses that night too. Apparently I can't do as much as I thought I could do at night wearing sunglasses.

Anyway, thanks for the input. These are on my YES list.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a couple that I really like however if the phone didn't slide all over my seat I would not have a case on it but...

So my 2 favorite are the Magpul Case and I just got a new one I found at Best Buy yesterday. It's a white InCase Slider with black around where the silver is on the phone. Never thought I'd have a white cover but think it looks really cool.

AlanG4s

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a couple that I really like however if the phone didn't slide all over my seat I would not have a case on it but...

So my 2 favorite are the Magpul Case and I just got a new one I found at Best Buy yesterday. It's a white InCase Slider with black around where the silver is on the phone. Never thought I'd have a white cover but think it looks really cool.

bgl321 - that Magpul case looks like some serious coverage and would come in handy in the spring when I'm out geocaching. Not so sure it fits the profile of daily use.

If I were to pick one Incase slider that I did like it would be the chrome. It goes with the shiny wheels on my hummer and one can never have too much chrome. Plus, it would get noticed as I took it out. Perhaps mistaken for a giant lighter or camera but noticed just the same.

Thanks!

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:
Reactions: AlanG4s

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I have an iSkin and I find it very practical and visually appealing. It's see-through and clear so you can still see the phone underneath. It's smooth so you can move it around easily in your hand and it's light.

AlanG4s

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I also must recommend the Twelve South BookBook if you're partial to leather.

Since I am partial to front pocket phone, and since the word book naturally follows pocket, and since I love leather and have to carry credit cards and money also, this BookBook looks amazing. I can almost smell the leather already. Nice find. I just... wait for it... bookmarked the page. Good place for the contact cards too. Oh, and the iPhone gets to stay as naked as it arrived (front and back protectors, yes) and can be shown in all it's leather bound glory.

Thank you, thank you BrindawithanI

One more question if I could... I've been looking at this BookBook and I think I want it. My only concern would be if the leather that holds the phone in place softened and loosened over time? Soft and loose has it's place but not if it's holding my valuables. Any experience with this issue?

I have an iSkin and I find it very practical and visually appealing. It's see-through and clear so you can still see the phone underneath. It's smooth so you can move it around easily in your hand and it's light.

leharris22 - I admit as soon as I saw the word "skin" I thought skin and didn't think I'd like this but you took the time to reply so I took the time to look into this. I do believe I like the looks of this case. It hardly adds any size to the iPhone (good), looks nice (good), dock friendly (good)... not too shabby. In fact, I think I kind of dig this too.

My plan is to invest in one new case a month or something like that. I like to switch things up and enjoy variety so as long as there is no case-on/case-off damage risk I can see myself testing all the cases mentioned in this thread and using whatever floats my boat at the moment I decide to pick up head outside, lump in jeans, smile on my face.

Thank you leharris22

PS: they were right, this is an amazing community. Thank you everyone!

Last edited:

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Someone already mentioned the Otterbox Commuter, and I saw you bought the Reflex, so those would be my top two. Aside from those, Incipio makes the Stowaway, a matte finish acrylic case with a spot to keep your DL and debit/credit card. Not too bulky, and practical.

EDIT: a link for you! http://www.myincipio.com/iPhone-4-4S-Cases-Accessories/Incipio-iPhone-4-4S-Stowaway-Credit-Card-Hard-Shell-Case-with-Silicone-Core.asp

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!

Last edited:

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
One more question if I could... I've been looking at this BookBook and I think I want it. My only concern would be if the leather that holds the phone in place softened and loosened over time? Soft and loose has it's place but not if it's holding my valuables. Any experience with this issue?

You're welcome! :) I've had mine for a couple of months and haven't had any issues with the leather that holds the phone softening at all. It fits fairly snug. One thing that you might not like is the fact that there's no camera cutout in the case so you have to slide it up to take a pic. I actually prefer it the way it is so it looks totally like a book. As great as it looks, the pictures don't really do it justice. It's made really well and the company has outstanding customer service.

Edit: they sell the BookBook at Apple stores if you prefer test driving it, however, when ordering from Twelve South you get free shipping and no tax. I received it in 2 days when I ordered mine.

You might want to check this one out too:

Case for iPhone 4/4S by PQ | The Little Black Book

Last edited:

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm rocking the Otterbox Reflex myself. Bought an Incipio Feather today but took it back about 45 mins later. Nothing compares to the feel of the Reflex.

Gotta say though...I just checked out the iSkin sight and I'm digging the Solo Vu and Claro!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AlanG4s

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
...Incipio makes the Stowaway, a matte finish acrylic case with a spot to keep your DL and debit/credit card. Not too bulky, and practical.

I think my wife likes the kickstand on the Stowaway more than I do. I'm a hands on kind of guy who probably should learn to keep the hands to myself more than I do but that's another forum. No, it's not too bulky but for that level of heft I would opt for the leather BookBook mentioned earlier.

I am enjoying the Otterbox Reflex case. It was a bit snug to get on at first which caused issues with the screen protector that I never did seem to get on very well. Overall I'm happy.

Thanks laelipoo, and thanks for the link!

...You might want to check this one out too: Case for iPhone 4/4S by PQ | The Little Black Book

Thanks again BrindawithanI, you've been a big help! I saw on Gizmodo (I think) a guy had modified a BookBook and cut a neat hole in the back so the camera could be used with the unit in place. I'm not that skilled with leather, and already having the thing open to take a picture it seems minor to slide it up. I don't see modifications in my future.

The Little Black Book didn't grab me like the BookBook has. I like the worn leather and the color and I'm pretty sure it will be my first next case unless I win one of the awesome contests they are running here! Fingers crossed.

I'm rocking the Otterbox Reflex myself. Bought an Incipio Feather today but took it back about 45 mins later. Nothing compares to the feel of the Reflex. Gotta say though...I just checked out the iSkin sight and I'm digging the Solo Vu and Claro!!!

Thanks mistah_mumford, I agree the Reflex has a nice feel to it. It gives me a sense of security and I'm not so "new born baby" with my phone.

I think the Incipio Feather also wouldn't work for me. I actually like the rectangle, straight lines of the iPhone 4S and don't want to add curve to it. That would remind me too much of the Palm Pre I just changed from.

The iSkin Claro, all clear, looks great for a night out when that iPhone comes creeping out of my pocket and I see eyes light up as they check out what kind of device I'm rocking. Hey, it can happen.

Thanks again for the input!

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again BrindawithanI, you've been a big help! I saw on Gizmodo (I think) a guy had modified a BookBook and cut a neat hole in the back so the camera could be used with the unit in place. I'm not that skilled with leather, and already having the thing open to take a picture it seems minor to slide it up. I don't see modifications in my future.

The Little Black Book didn't grab me like the BookBook has. I like the worn leather and the color and I'm pretty sure it will be my first next case unless I win one of the awesome contests they are running here! Fingers crossed.

No problem! I'm in complete agreement with you on the Little Black Book. If the BookBook didn't exist, I'd be all about it. Between the two though, no contest! Good luck in your quest!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner