I put my 4S in my 4's Kensington PowerGuard charging case, and it shows the "plug" icon instead of the "lightning" icon. Any idea what could be causing this? How can the charger tell the difference between the two different models?
    10-17-2011 01:10 PM
    I have two after-market USB extensions which go from AC to the iPhone white USB charger- just the white cord. Both work with my 3GS. The 4S did not like the one in the living room, but is okay with the one in the bedroom. I was able to unplug the white AC adaptor from the end of the white USB cord and plug the 12' extension into that and the 4S will now use the extension in the living room.

So- the phone can not work with one accessory, and work with an identical accessory. I've heard this about car chargers, too. It might not be the brand, but the individual charger.
    10-17-2011 01:25 PM
    Interesting idea. I actually happen to have a second one of these cases in storage. I'll pull out the spare and see if that one works.
    10-17-2011 01:46 PM
    EDIT! I was wrong. The USB in the bedroom has the white Apple charger cube attached to the 12' cord. I checked when I got home.
    10-17-2011 08:29 PM
    It seems to be working now, at least about 90% of the time.
    10-23-2011 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD