4/4s screen...do I need a screen protector?

go88mph

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I am moving from an EVO 4G to the 4S and was wondering if I should get/use a screen protector? The EVO's Gorilla Glass screen didn't need one, after one year of abuse there isn't a mark on it (other than fingerprints). Any iphone 4 owners have an opinion that could help? Anyone know what the 4s screen is made out of?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Also gorilla glass. I always put one on my phones. Its worth the loss in screen resolution to not have to worry about any accidents or forgetfulness. My husband took his off and within 24 hours his screen is so bad I can barely read on it. His keys and some change in his pocket went to town.

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
In all my spare time thinking about that moment I actually own my 4s, I thought of screen protectors. Should I get the invis-shield like I currently have on my charge? Or maybe try something else? The invisa-shield definitely protects but it does take away some of the "pop" from the display. So I wonder what others are using and if there is any sacrifice of clarity for protection or can you have it both ways? If so which product offers the best of both worlds?
Funny, I was actually planning to start a thread like this, so perfect timing
Count

IndoX

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Ghost armor works really well and it doesn't peel. I've had mine on my blackberry for over a year and a half and you still can't tell there is even a screen protector there. Invis-shield is good too, but it gives your phone that gloss like effect so you can clearly tell a protector is there (and is also peels from would I've heard).

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Personally I have never needed one, you can take your keys and run them across the screen of the device. But everyone's opinion will differ.

I actually think though that the back is more susceptible to scratches. What I did is I left the original plastic on the back, and I cut off a corner for the camera (and cut off the tab at the bottom).

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah the good thing about invisa shield is it's lifetime warranty. There is a kiosk at our mall and the guy apply's it for you and if ever it gets scratched or have any imperfections he will change it or fix it. I think its like $5. If he replaces it. That's why I use him because I don't have to fuss with trying to get bubbles from under my screen protector.
Hmmmm... I wonder if I take my charge protector back to him if he would exchange it for the iPhone? Hmmmm, nothing fails but a try.

Count

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
What I did is I left the original plastic on the back, and I cut off a corner for the camera (and cut off the tab at the bottom).
Oh no your one of those people. Your lucky I cannot get my hands on your phone cause that thing would be peeled off. My wife likes doing that and she gets mad with me, but that stuff drives me crazy. I Peel everything off the second I get my hands on it.

Count

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah the good thing about invisa shield is it's lifetime warranty. There is a kiosk at our mall and the guy apply's it for you and if ever it gets scratched or have any imperfections he will change it or fix it. I think its like $5. If he replaces it. That's why I use him because I don't have to fuss with trying to get bubbles from under my screen protector.
Hmmmm... I wonder if I take my charge protector back to him if he would exchange it for the iPhone? Hmmmm, nothing fails but a try.

Count

that's what I am gonna do.. I put the screen protector on my iPod Touch 4G and there is a bubble in it. I suck at it so I would rather have someone else do it.

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Invis-shield is good too, but it gives your phone that gloss like effect so you can clearly tell a protector is there (and is also peels from would I've heard).
Very true. It is definitely noticeable. Doesn't really Peel though. It just kind off shifts and gets wrinkles from time to time. Which I have gotten used to. That's where the warranty kicks in. If I ever I find myself in the mall I just mosey on by the kiosk and dude straightens it out for me.
The ghost armour sounds like it might be up my alley though. Hardly noticeable yet protective. Do you get it at brick and mortar or online?

Count

Last edited:

robes1

May 31, 2009
Visit site
If you get something that sticks up a few centimeters above the screen around the edges you'll be fine. I got my iPhone on the very first day that the iPhone was available on AT&T. Never used a screen protector. Never one scratch after several drops on concrete. The screen is a thing of beauty! Why make it dull and harder to see? It's the first phone that I've accidentally put into my pocket with quarters and other change that didn't have any marks or scratches when I slowly pulled it out in fear. Now worries. Enjoy your phone. And the screen.

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If you get something that sticks up a few centimeters above the screen around the edges you'll be fine. I got my iPhone on the very first day that the iPhone was available on AT&T. Never used a screen protector. Never one scratch after several drops on concrete. The screen is a thing of beauty! Why make it dull and harder to see? It's the first phone that I've accidentally put into my pocket with quarters and other change that didn't have any marks or scratches when I slowly pulled it out in fear. Now worries. Enjoy your phone. And the screen.

Am I hearing you say the screen is scratch proof/resistant?
Because I don't accidentally slip my phone in my pocket with change. My phone lives in my pocket with whatever else is in there. Hell I'm liable to pull a bullfrog out of that sucker like Dennis the menace. So i want to make sure I'm understanding you right.

Count

j0hnnyv#IM

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I bailed on zagg invisashield are 2 of them peeling up within 2 weeks on my iphone 4. not to mention it makes the screen a lot darker and really kills the beautiful retina display. I went to the powersupport HD screen protector from apple store for $15 bux and it will NEVER peel and it does not take away even close to as much of the retina display. zagg can have their lifetime warranty on the product, I used it once and will never buy those again. I just loaded up on crystal clear screen protectors on ebay that are only like qty 6 for $2 and are great.

go88mph

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
my wife tried Best Skins Ever on her EVO and iPad and loved them at first on the EVO (got a warranty replacement and never put a skin on the new one) but never got the bubbles to go away on the iPad.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I always use the verizon screen protectors( i know many people say they suck) but for me they work fine and can get someone to put one on in store for me if need be.

SMELTN

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the invisishield on my 3gs, but after swapping over to my Captivate I didn't use a screen protector and it looks perfect. I keep it in a leather case so I think just getting a case to cover the back will be fine..

My wife has the invisishield and I just hate how it takes some of the pop off the screen as well.

IndoX

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Very true. It is definitely noticeable. Doesn't really Peel though. It just kind off shifts and gets wrinkles from time to time. Which I have gotten used to. That's where the warranty kicks in. If I ever I find myself in the mall I just mosey on by the kiosk and dude straightens it out for me.
The ghost armour sounds like it might be up my alley though. Hardly noticeable yet protective. Do you get it at brick and mortar or online?

Count
I have never had my ghost armor screen protector shift or wrinkle. The issue is you get a fog like effect for the first 48-72 hours and then that completely disappears and you can't even tell it's there. When you first feel it, it may not seems quite as sturdy as invis-shield but it's just as protective. I peeled off my ghost armor this morning after 1.5 years of having it on and the screen is perfection.

You can easily get it online for the same price as invis-shield with a lifetime warranty as well. Or you can get it at any kiosk near your location. Go on their main website and see if there is something near you! They're having a sale for 9.99 for iPhone 4S protectors online, but I'd rather go and have someone do it for me in person.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My wife doesn't have one on her 4 and she just tosses it in her purse. After several months the screen is still perfect. I'm not putting one on my 4S. My OG Droid has lead a rough life and the screen is still fine. Gorilla Glass is tough stuff.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Uselessbass

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I have never used a screen protector on my 4 and I bought when it launched its been with me in all kind of environments from sand on the screen to dust on the screen I'm so confident I won't scratch it I even clean it up with my tshirt sometimes lol but I can't stand screen protectors just my opinion like everybody else on here

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
OK so I'm sensing two camps here. Those who use protection and those who don't. I'm just used to using protection because its all I have ever done with all my devices. I try and take care of them. But maybe the protection is not warranted with the 4s or 4. I was reading up on gorilla glass and apparantly it is very hard to damage. I also read that the i4 does not use "gorilla glass" but something like it. Read a complaint of a guy who dropped his i4 and shattered the glass. Just different things to think about. I think I may see how things go before making a decision on weather to use protection or not. Probably will end up using something just because of my rough nature on phones.

Count

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR