iphone 4 cases DO NOT FIT the 4s

Sylvrr

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
ive been reading up on it more and it looks like here are the key differences ive found:

*due to the proximity sensor change with the i4 black vs. white, there are larger cut outs in the front so that a single case can accommodate both the black and white 4s. cases that are fully open in the front will have no issue with the front of the 4s. any case that works for a black i4 will work for a black i4s, as well as any case that works for both colors i4 will work for both 4s.

*updates to the quality of the camera and its sensitivity creates degraded images (even if ever so slightly) when the back of the case surrounds the camera and flash openings like tunnels as seen on the old i4 otterbox cases and the seidio. cases that have a larger opening that does not perfectly surround the camera or flash will have no issues with the front of the 4s.

again this is just what ive read, but it makes sense. you just need to be aware of white iphone compatibility, but you can use the old cases that surround the camera if image quality is not a tremendous deal breaker for you.

gmz73

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
The white phone is ever so slightly larger than the black one, I can't tell you why this is but it is larger

The only case that I couldn't use on my white iPhone was the Incase slider. It was really tough to slide the top part of the case on so I didn't bother because it seemed like I wouldn't be able to take it off. The otterbox defender I already had works fine on the white phone. It is just the smallest fraction thicker than the black iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StevenJ_AK

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I just want to clear up the fact of why the white iPhone4 and otter box don't mix well.

Its NOT because the huge .2mm thickness difference, because the white iPhone fits fine in any otter box no matter when it was manufactured, but it is because the Proximity sensor.

The White iPhones proximity sensor will not work if the plastic is covering it from the otter box, simple fix, remove the small portion of plastic that covers it and amazingly it works just fine. But, as of lately Otterbox started making cases that are 100% compatible with the white iPhone and they did this by printing a black hourglass shape line on that piece of plastic and it fixes the need for removing the plastic. It even comes with a new sticker right on the box that says "Compatible with white Iphone4" If you don't believe me go check out any website on google or just go to walmart and look at the boxes, newer ones will say compatible and you'll see the new line on the plastic, old ones will not.

Also, a hard plastic case (no matter the manufacture) will NOT scrap the paint off of the iPhone, ITS NOT PAINTED!!! probably one of the biggest misconceptions about the white iPhone, it cannot fade, it will never get dirty. In fact the white iPhone always looks cleaner! You can never see a fingerprint on my white iPhone but my daughters black one and my wifes black one always need wiped down. The white one does not show fingerprints at all, its amazing!

Tanker57

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Verizon iPhone 4 Otterbox case for my new black 4S. I guess we will find out. My wife got a white 4S so we will try hers first to check he proximity sensor issue.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I just want to clear up the fact of why the white iPhone4 and otter box don't mix well.

Its NOT because the huge .2mm thickness difference, because the white iPhone fits fine in any otter box no matter when it was manufactured, but it is because the Proximity sensor.

The White iPhones proximity sensor will not work if the plastic is covering it from the otter box, simple fix, remove the small portion of plastic that covers it and amazingly it works just fine. But, as of lately Otterbox started making cases that are 100% compatible with the white iPhone and they did this by printing a black hourglass shape line on that piece of plastic and it fixes the need for removing the plastic. It even comes with a new sticker right on the box that says "Compatible with white Iphone4" If you don't believe me go check out any website on google or just go to walmart and look at the boxes, newer ones will say compatible and you'll see the new line on the plastic, old ones will not.

Also, a hard plastic case (no matter the manufacture) will NOT scrap the paint off of the iPhone, ITS NOT PAINTED!!! probably one of the biggest misconceptions about the white iPhone, it cannot fade, it will never get dirty. In fact the white iPhone always looks cleaner! You can never see a fingerprint on my white iPhone but my daughters black one and my wifes black one always need wiped down. The white one does not show fingerprints at all, its amazing!

Sometimes the white turns a yellowish tint though.

pokey318

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I ordered an iskin case for my new 4s right here on TIPB for a ridiculously low price! I have the same case for my 3G and wanted the same case for the new phone. Retail price is $29.99 and I was able to get it for $6.95; shipping was about $6, but still much cheaper than buying retail.

I am assuming this case will fit the new phone as everything I have heard and read said the cases for the 4 will fit the 4s.

I am thrilled to find this site and forum!

gmz73

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site

You know what you are right on this and I forgot to mention that. I did remove the small piece of plastic around the proximity sensor. The pink otterbox I got on amazon about a month ago also had a black piece on the part covering the proximity sensor. I think I saved it and will try to post a pic of it so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blwatson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Many different websites including SGP, Case-Mate, and Speck all have a "4S" section. I went ahead and ordered a case from SGP in anticipation of my 4S.

From what I have seen the 4S and the 4 look to be identical, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Is this just for the OB defender? Looks like the commuter wouldn't be affected since ot doesn't overlap tje front of the phone, right?

On the website it says the commuter isn't compatible but it doesn't cover prox sensor. Not sure what prob with otterbox unless they are lookin to sell more cases

Reactions: zee921

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
So before I knew about the proximity sensor location change, I ordered an Otterbox Defender for 4, cheap, from Overstock. If I just use this case occasionally, provided it fits _on_ the phone, since I never make phone calls anyway, will the proximity sensor being covered up really affect me? Or should I just return it unopened. This would not be my everyday case; I like the Speck Pixelskins for that, since I can change them to match my scrubs at work.

ProMed

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Otterbox is now showing an iPhone 4S Commuter case in stock.

When I ordered the grey/yellow Commuter for the 4s, on Fri 10/7, that color was showing as in-stock then. Guessing that grey/yellow is not one of their most popular color combos.

If you compare the Otterbox Commuter for the 4 & the one for the 4s, there are at least a couple differences I noticed. The top & bottom "lips" of the hard plastic shell are now larger. They extend farther out over the left/ right corners and also comes out over the front edge at the top.

Both of those changes help address complaints some guys had discussed regarding the Commuter for the 4. The most obvious difference is that the back camera opening is much larger, which I assume is to help reduce flash reflection back into the larger aperture that is now on the 4s?

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
To not confuse people by the thread title and a manufacturer like otterbox who has 1 or 2 cases that don't fit the iphone4s.

99% of Iphone4 cases will fit the Iphone4S. Because Otterbox makes a full device case that covers everything except the 3.5 screen itself it will not fit or else it will block the prox. sensor. The other 99% of Iphone4 cases out there will fit the Iphone4S. And only 2 or 3 total cases out there that do not fit the white Iphone4 because the white Iphone is a tad wider than the black version. I've been using standard iphone4 cases on my white iphone4 and they just fit tighter than a black iphone4. Hope this helps. And people aren't scared away in buying a case that only says iphone4. It will fit on your Iphone4S also.

Josh

Eli4S

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I hope best buy will have the Zagg invisiSHEILD for the 4S on launch day, as I will be using that for my iPhone. I used it for my evo (front and back coverage btw) and I feel it's the best, it gives you such a good feel of your phone and you don't have to worry if you drop it or smudges and scratches... obviously it wouldn't be as good if you dropped it, but I rarely have dropped my phone, especially on anything rough (knock on wood)

Todd M

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I hope best buy will have the Zagg invisiSHEILD for the 4S on launch day, as I will be using that for my iPhone. I used it for my evo (front and back coverage btw) and I feel it's the best, it gives you such a good feel of your phone and you don't have to worry if you drop it or smudges and scratches... obviously it wouldn't be as good if you dropped it, but I rarely have dropped my phone, especially on anything rough (knock on wood)

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Invisible Shield for the 4 will work for the 4S.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73