My question is whether the Otterbox Universal Defender that I ordered on Amazon will work... It's supposed to work on the Verizon iPhone 4, and everything seems to be saying that the iPhone 4Sis configured like the Verizon iPhone 4. Oh, well - it has already shipped, so I'll just have to wait and see.
    That's the story that's circulating. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to get a case and try it. We should know for sure by Friday.
    10-10-2011 04:34 PM
    I hope we are all just speculating about whether the 4 case will fit the 4s. I have asked this question at 2 different Apple stores as well as called a couple of manufactures. While the volume buttons seem to be a bit off on the Verizon and AT&T iPhone 4, every person says the covers are universal. I have a new iskin silicone cover that I hope to use on my AT&T 4s, but it does have 2 separate raised areas for the volume buttons and one opening for the silent switch. IF what some people are saying, that the Verizon covers will not fit AT&T phones and the same for AT&T covers on Verizon phones, and the 4s is designed like the Verizon phone, then my cover should not fit my new phone. I am hoping that is not the case, but as someone said above, we will know when our phones arrive on Friday.

Seems to me that Apple would know if these phones have the bottom placement enough different that it would make a difference which case you purchased. I just want to make sure I have a case to put on the phone immediately! I guess I could take this cover by the AT&T store as well as the Verizon store and try it on both phones. If it fits both, I will assume it will fit the 4s I am willing to have several cases at my house for the day the phone arrives as long as they are returnable. My phone is not leaving the house naked!
    10-10-2011 04:57 PM
    From the Q+A section on the Otterbox Website:

Each case series created for the iPhone 4S is compatible with both the White and Black versions of the iPhone 4 from Verizon and AT&T.
    Hope that's actually true, because the new colors on the 4S cases are awesome!

HOWEVER, it looks like cases for the iPhone 4 are NOT compatible with the 4S. I guess it must have to do with the camera opening, as someone else mentioned. So that's why OB hasn't consolidated both product pages into one "Cases for iPhone 4/4S" page.
    Last edited by homerjsimpson; 10-11-2011 at 12:46 PM.
    10-11-2011 12:42 PM
    I want the Seidio CONVERT Combo case. If anyone has or knows if this case fit, please tell. I NEED IT.
    10-11-2011 01:13 PM
    The Otterbox Commuter I ordered only covers the sides and back, not the prox. sensor, but they clearly made changes.

From Otterbox:

So.. did they increase the back camera opening size because of the larger aperture in the 4S or just for better pictures? Either way, if buying another 4S case I would want to avoid all those with the small camera openings. That is many of them.

Commuter
    Click to view quoted imageClick to view quoted image

Reflex

Defender:

Otterbox reflex iphone 4 camera opening seems to inline with newer design, but slightly smaller. I am hoping that the iphone 4 relex case will work for my 4s ( offcourse i ordered a case before i saw the thread )
    10-11-2011 02:17 PM
    I want the Seidio CONVERT Combo case. If anyone has or knows if this case fit, please tell. I NEED IT.
    I have the Convert case (bought it on sale at the TiPb Store when it was called the Rugged) and it will fit the 4S. The only issue will be the space for the mute switch. That is basically a hole in the rubber shell but it looks to be too high from what I'm reading.

For me it isn't too big of a deal. I use the Surface case part of the combo 95% of the time and only the extra protection for when I'm skiing or biking. And even if the mute switch is off it isn't enough to make me buy a new one.

If I was in your position I would wait a little or contact Seidio to see if they will change out the rubber part if it's off.
    10-11-2011 02:28 PM
    I have the Convert case (bought it on sale at the TiPb Store when it was called the Rugged) and it will fit the 4S. The only issue will be the space for the mute switch. That is basically a hole in the rubber shell but it looks to be too high from what I'm reading.

For me it isn't too big of a deal. I use the Surface case part of the combo 95% of the time and only the extra protection for when I'm skiing or biking. And even if the mute switch is off it isn't enough to make me buy a new one.

If I was in your position I would wait a little or contact Seidio to see if they will change out the rubber part if it's off.
    I have to wait until December 1st to get the phone since that is when my upgrade becomes available. Maybe by then the mute switch opening will be changed, but that's not a deal breaker for me. You've confirmed that it fits the phone. it offers the protection I need for it. That's all I care about. Thank you for that info.
    10-11-2011 03:14 PM
    My plan is to buy a cheap case ($10ish) that says it will work with the 4S and cross my fingers. I want to wait a month or two before buying a nice one so that I can make sure it is designed to be on the 4S. I am hoping to get an Element Vapor case of some sort.
    10-11-2011 06:42 PM
    10-11-2011 11:50 PM
    What about the silent switch on the side of the 4S? Is it in the same position as the Verizon iPhone 4 or is it like the AT&T iPhone 4? I have an original Bumper case and am wondering if it will fit the 4S.
    10-12-2011 11:54 AM
    What about the silent switch on the side of the 4S? Is it in the same position as the Verizon iPhone 4 or is it like the AT&T iPhone 4? I have an original Bumper case and am wondering if it will fit the 4S.
    Verizon iPhone 4.
    10-12-2011 12:33 PM
    I think the smart thing to do is to only purchase those cases that specifically say "iPhone 4S".
    10-12-2011 01:02 PM
    It is my understanding that only cases for the iPhone 4 that either say universal, or fit the Verizon and AT&T iPhone 4 with indeed fit the iPhone 4s. Many of the manufactures redesigned their cases to fit both phones once the Verizon model came out. Because of the slight shift in the silent switch and volume buttons on the Verizon phone, covers made to fit the AT&T model will not work, unless the side is opened and was not made with two separate little button covers.

I have been to numerous stores as well as called a few manufacturers; if the case is universal it will fit. Most likely the AT&T stores have all the left over models that were made for their phone, although I have seen some that look like new models due to their color. AT&T repackages their cases, so you have no idea if it is a newer universal case. The Apple stores here swear all their cases are universal for the iPhone 4 and they fit both the AT&T and Verizon phone. Assuming the 4s is the same fit as the Verizon 4, we should be good to go!

To be on the safe side, I have purchased a few different silicone cases; one from Verizon, one from At&T, and one at the Apple store; my phone is going to be dressed the first time it heads outside.
    I will returns those that don't fit and keep, at least temporarily, one that does fit. If a case made for the 4s comes out before my drop dead return date, I will buy it instead.
    10-12-2011 03:52 PM
    Got my 4S, so now I know. It's just what I figured.

I have a bumper (that I don't use because it doesn't fit accessories) and a clear Belkin snap-on case that Apple gave me during Antennagate. These both have cutouts for the mute switch which do not line up with the 4S. You can get the 4S into them, but the bottom of the switch is covered a bit, and the case is slightly bent. Fortunately, TiPB is giving me a new case, just for posting here!

I also have a wallet case, which leaves the left edge completely uncovered, so it's no problem.

My only other iPhone 4 case is from Powermat, which I use with their wireless charger. I am happy to say that this fits the 4S just fine. The volume-down button touches the bottom of the cutout, which is about a millimeter away on the iPhone 4, but it's not a problem and the 4S charges when I place it on the mat. This is a good thing, since I already bought another one so I can charge both phones.
    10-14-2011 02:35 PM
    I suspect that the Otterbox cases aren't compatible because they are full-device cases. The majority of the cases are "back and sides" only, and the buggest issue will be whether or not the case lines up with the iPhone 4S' buttons.
    Just to confirm, I have 5 cases that I used on my iPhone 4. All of them fit perfectly on my iPhone 4S. These are cases from Speck, Skullcandy and CaseMate. Booyah!
    10-14-2011 03:18 PM
    Just to confirm, I have 5 cases that I used on my iPhone 4. All of them fit perfectly on my iPhone 4S. These are cases from Speck, Skullcandy and CaseMate. Booyah!
    Looked online at lifeproof. Their cases are also compatible with the 4 and 4s
    10-14-2011 03:46 PM
    I had an AT&T case from Speck (PixelSkin HD). I bought a new PixelSkin HD at Apple because of the compatibility of the mute switch. Guess what they are the same. They both touch the mute switch. I called Speck to see if maybe I got an old case and they said that's the way it's supposed to be. I guess the new case is going back.
    10-14-2011 06:20 PM
    I had an Otterbox commuter for my 4, and I'm happy to report, it fits my 4S, even though otterbox's website says it won't.
    10-14-2011 07:19 PM
    I had an Otterbox commuter for my 4, and I'm happy to report, it fits my 4S, even though otterbox's website says it won't.
    How do the pics come out? I heard the stronger camera needs a wider opening.
    10-14-2011 07:24 PM
    Yeah, both my Speck and OtterBox commuter case fit on my 4S as well.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    10-14-2011 08:22 PM
    My casemate pop doesn't fit right. It looks like the volume up is off just a touch causing the case to bulge out in that area and not making a tight fit. It fits my wifes iPhone 4 perfectly.
    10-14-2011 08:58 PM
    Yeah, both my Speck and OtterBox commuter case fit on my 4S as well.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    How are the pictures with the commuter on 4s?
    10-14-2011 10:17 PM
    I'm looking at that one hard now.
    10-15-2011 08:36 PM
    I bought the Otterbox Defender cheap on Overstock before it was reported that it didn't fit the 4S. So it's on the phone, it fits perfectly, it does not interfere with the camera flash and I can still activate Siri by bringing the phone up to my ear.
    10-15-2011 09:24 PM
    My pics come out fine with the Commuter case on my 4S. I actually posted one on the thread for pics with iPhone 4S.
    10-15-2011 10:06 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD