I ordered an iskin case for my new 4s right here on TIPB for a ridiculously low price! I have the same case for my 3G and wanted the same case for the new phone. Retail price is $29.99 and I was able to get it for $6.95; shipping was about $6, but still much cheaper than buying retail.

I am assuming this case will fit the new phone as everything I have heard and read said the cases for the 4 will fit the 4s.

I am thrilled to find this site and forum!
    10-09-2011 04:57 PM
    I just want to clear up the fact of why the white iPhone4 and otter box don't mix well.

Its NOT because the huge .2mm thickness difference, because the white iPhone fits fine in any otter box no matter when it was manufactured, but it is because the Proximity sensor.

The White iPhones proximity sensor will not work if the plastic is covering it from the otter box, simple fix, remove the small portion of plastic that covers it and amazingly it works just fine. But, as of lately Otterbox started making cases that are 100% compatible with the white iPhone and they did this by printing a black hourglass shape line on that piece of plastic and it fixes the need for removing the plastic. It even comes with a new sticker right on the box that says "Compatible with white Iphone4" If you don't believe me go check out any website on google or just go to walmart and look at the boxes, newer ones will say compatible and you'll see the new line on the plastic, old ones will not.

Also, a hard plastic case (no matter the manufacture) will NOT scrap the paint off of the iPhone, ITS NOT PAINTED!!! probably one of the biggest misconceptions about the white iPhone, it cannot fade, it will never get dirty. In fact the white iPhone always looks cleaner! You can never see a fingerprint on my white iPhone but my daughters black one and my wifes black one always need wiped down. The white one does not show fingerprints at all, its amazing!
    You know what you are right on this and I forgot to mention that. I did remove the small piece of plastic around the proximity sensor. The pink otterbox I got on amazon about a month ago also had a black piece on the part covering the proximity sensor. I think I saved it and will try to post a pic of it so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-09-2011 04:57 PM
    Many different websites including SGP, Case-Mate, and Speck all have a "4S" section. I went ahead and ordered a case from SGP in anticipation of my 4S.

From what I have seen the 4S and the 4 look to be identical, I guess we will just have to wait and see.
    10-09-2011 05:05 PM
    Is this just for the OB defender? Looks like the commuter wouldn't be affected since ot doesn't overlap tje front of the phone, right?
    On the website it says the commuter isn't compatible but it doesn't cover prox sensor. Not sure what prob with otterbox unless they are lookin to sell more cases
    zee921 likes this.
    10-09-2011 05:34 PM
    I just read an illustrative blog about the difference of iPhone 4 and 4s cases. Very helpful!

How to Choose Cases for iPhone 4s and iPhone 4 i collect gadget
    10-09-2011 05:40 PM
    So before I knew about the proximity sensor location change, I ordered an Otterbox Defender for 4, cheap, from Overstock. If I just use this case occasionally, provided it fits _on_ the phone, since I never make phone calls anyway, will the proximity sensor being covered up really affect me? Or should I just return it unopened. This would not be my everyday case; I like the Speck Pixelskins for that, since I can change them to match my scrubs at work.
    10-09-2011 05:46 PM
    I just read an illustrative blog about the difference of iPhone 4 and 4s cases. Very helpful!

]
    Excellent info, thanks for that link!!
    10-09-2011 06:12 PM
    Otterbox is now showing an iPhone 4S Commuter case in stock.
    10-09-2011 06:15 PM
    Otterbox is now showing an iPhone 4S Commuter case in stock.
    When I ordered the grey/yellow Commuter for the 4s, on Fri 10/7, that color was showing as in-stock then. Guessing that grey/yellow is not one of their most popular color combos.

If you compare the Otterbox Commuter for the 4 & the one for the 4s, there are at least a couple differences I noticed. The top & bottom "lips" of the hard plastic shell are now larger. They extend farther out over the left/ right corners and also comes out over the front edge at the top.

Both of those changes help address complaints some guys had discussed regarding the Commuter for the 4. The most obvious difference is that the back camera opening is much larger, which I assume is to help reduce flash reflection back into the larger aperture that is now on the 4s?
    10-09-2011 07:05 PM

How to Choose Cases for iPhone 4s and iPhone 4 i collect gadget
    Great article, thanks for the link.
    10-09-2011 08:24 PM
    To not confuse people by the thread title and a manufacturer like otterbox who has 1 or 2 cases that don't fit the iphone4s.

99% of Iphone4 cases will fit the Iphone4S. Because Otterbox makes a full device case that covers everything except the 3.5 screen itself it will not fit or else it will block the prox. sensor. The other 99% of Iphone4 cases out there will fit the Iphone4S. And only 2 or 3 total cases out there that do not fit the white Iphone4 because the white Iphone is a tad wider than the black version. I've been using standard iphone4 cases on my white iphone4 and they just fit tighter than a black iphone4. Hope this helps. And people aren't scared away in buying a case that only says iphone4. It will fit on your Iphone4S also.

Josh
    10-09-2011 08:44 PM
    I hope best buy will have the Zagg invisiSHEILD for the 4S on launch day, as I will be using that for my iPhone. I used it for my evo (front and back coverage btw) and I feel it's the best, it gives you such a good feel of your phone and you don't have to worry if you drop it or smudges and scratches... obviously it wouldn't be as good if you dropped it, but I rarely have dropped my phone, especially on anything rough (knock on wood)
    10-09-2011 08:47 PM
    ordered an Otterbox Defender "for 4S" today so I'm good...
    10-09-2011 08:48 PM
    I hope best buy will have the Zagg invisiSHEILD for the 4S on launch day, as I will be using that for my iPhone. I used it for my evo (front and back coverage btw) and I feel it's the best, it gives you such a good feel of your phone and you don't have to worry if you drop it or smudges and scratches... obviously it wouldn't be as good if you dropped it, but I rarely have dropped my phone, especially on anything rough (knock on wood)
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the Invisible Shield for the 4 will work for the 4S.
    10-09-2011 09:24 PM
    Just ordered commuter case for 4S, just curious when it will actually arrive.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.257841,-94.350362
    10-09-2011 09:53 PM
    To not confuse people by the thread title and a manufacturer like otterbox who has 1 or 2 cases that don't fit the iphone4s.

99% of Iphone4 cases will fit the Iphone4S. Because Otterbox makes a full device case that covers everything except the 3.5 screen itself it will not fit or else it will block the prox. sensor. The other 99% of Iphone4 cases out there will fit the Iphone4S.
    The Otterbox Commuter I ordered only covers the sides and back, not the prox. sensor, but they clearly made changes.

From Otterbox:
    The cases for the iPhone 4 are not compatible with iPhone 4S due to a change in the location of the devices proximity sensor and camera lens.
    So.. did they increase the back camera opening size because of the larger aperture in the 4S or just for better pictures? Either way, if buying another 4S case I would want to avoid all those with the small camera openings. That is many of them.

Commuter

Reflex

Defender:
    10-09-2011 09:58 PM
    Just ordered commuter case for 4S, just curious when it will actually arrive.
    Cool, I ordered one two days ago but no idea when it will arrive for either of us. Mine is still processing. Which color did you decide on?

I went with the grey/yellow for my white 4S, should be a little unique. For me at least!

10-09-2011 10:02 PM
    That's very strange, because if you go to otterboxes website and click on their 4S case, it is said to be compatible with both the 4 and 4S. If you go to the apple website and click through cases they've all been updated to show compatibility with the 4S.
    10-10-2011 12:10 AM
    That's very strange, because if you go to otterboxes website and click on their 4S case, it is said to be compatible with both the 4 and 4S. If you go to the apple website and click through cases they've all been updated to show compatibility with the 4S.
    Otterbox cases have been updated so that's why they will work with both the 4&4s
    10-10-2011 12:22 AM
    I have an otterbox commuter on a white 4. It fits. My husbands defender doesn't line up the same. The 4 is .3 mm thicker I believe because if UV anti yellowing treatment and paint coats. Some snap on cases work, others don't. IFrogz silicone cases don't fit properly. I have learned to try the case before buying whenever possible.
    10-10-2011 12:23 AM
    iphone 4 cases don't fit the 4s,and the 4s case is coming..
    10-10-2011 01:18 AM
    I have tons of 4 cases and am hoping to use them with 4S!
    10-10-2011 02:24 AM
    If you are back on the Otterbox site, you will notice that none of the cases with the older small camera opening are for both the 4 & 4S. All of the cases labeled as 4/4S have the new larger camera opening.

For the iPhone 4, Otterbox has had to design cases that are compatible with either AT&T or Verizon designs, with their different button placements, as well as the slightly larger White model. With the 4S, it has been said that the button placements are the same as the iPhone 4 Verizon design. I haven't read anywhere yet that has confirmed if both the White & Black 4S models have the exact same dimensions yet or not.

Separate from that, the 4S has a larger aperture than the 4. I'm not sure if the larger camera openings on all their 4S cases is for that larger aperture or just to help prevent reflection of the flash.

Otterbox says on their site that, compared to the 4, the 4S has had a "change in the location of the devices proximity sensor and camera lens". I would love to know exactly what the changes are they are referring to.

Of course I could be totally wrong! We will know for sure soon after everyone starts getting the phones.
    10-10-2011 02:41 AM
    10-10-2011 12:32 PM
    My question is whether the Otterbox Universal Defender that I ordered on Amazon will work... It's supposed to work on the Verizon iPhone 4, and everything seems to be saying that the iPhone 4Sis configured like the Verizon iPhone 4. Oh, well - it has already shipped, so I'll just have to wait and see.
    10-10-2011 04:29 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD