Cases for iPhone 4S

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
How does the lifeproof compare in size to the otterbox defender?
Also what it the texture of the lifeproof case - slippery or not?

It's nothing like the defender in terms of bulk. It's closer to the commuter but sleeker.
As far as texture not slippery at all.

cyberpaw

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
It's nothing like the defender in terms of bulk. It's closer to the commuter but sleeker.
As far as texture not slippery at all.

Thanks.
I bought the Defender, but I really don't like the bulk and weight of it all.. I got the glacier and it really looks nice, but I can hardly get it in and out of my pocket and don't like the clip, which I use all the time After having it on for 2 or so days it came off and I put Incipio back on..

So a followup question: how is the weight of the Lifeproof? I cannot find any specs on its size or weight.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
hmmm....yea if they did the grippy ones with the white, you have a good point. I also wonder if that would attrack more surface dirt too....but as anal as i am about keeping my phone/cover clean, i wouldnt let it get any marks on it if i can help it:)

Speck seems to deliver quickly. I ordered mine on Tues and had it in Fridays mail:)

As for the candy shell, i'm totally crazy about it, but i am concerned about it possibly getting scratched up and most of all, i can confirm that it is 'slippery' feeling. Thats the ONLY thing i dont like about it. I'm thinking about putting something on the back or sides, perhaps, to give it grip. I'm just not sure what though. I could apply a Zagg, but i don't want to spend that kind of money just to put it on a cover, ya know?

SO, if anyone has any ideas for me on what i could apply for some 'grip' i open to them:)

I was tempted to try the dark grey CandyShell Satin but I really love the flip style so I'll consider it if they come out with a black or dark grey satin flip although I don't really have an issue with the slipperiness factor since I use a lanyard with all my cases. I am terrible about dropping things out of my hands and actually misplacing my phone unless it is literally attached to me. So lanyards are my phone's best friends!

Nerdy, I know. But whatever...they just work. ;)

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
If u like grippy u really need to check the casemate pop ones!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

These look great! When I first got my phone I saw the Casemate Pop at the store and almost got one instead of the candyshell because they also had a black one with grey trim and I really liked the grippy sides. The only reason I passed on it at the time was because that one was made for the 4 and not the 4s (smaller camera hole). Looks like the ones on the site have the bigger camera hole and according to the reviews, the front also has a raised lip to protect the screen if it is laying face-down. :)

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
i have to admit, i was extremely impressed watching the vid demo's they have for the cases, but $80 is a heavy price tag IMO for a case, for me right now anyway.

I LOVE them and the white one has my eye and I'm thinking about getting someone a 4S for Christmas, and she'd love a case in pink and waterproof to 6.6 feet was it ? She would definitely love that lol

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Let's hope Santa has plenty in stock.

Let's hope so !! :)

How does the lifeproof compare in size to the otterbox defender?
Also what it the texture of the lifeproof case - slippery or not?

You should read the review that Alli wrote. She posted a link to it in her above post#73. There's also a video that you can watch as well that shows the case in action etc.

:eek:reading her review and watching the video(again) is what convinced me to want to get this case now:)

You can also go directly to their website and see vids on it as well
Home page :: LifeProof Cases

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I was tempted to try the dark grey CandyShell Satin but I really love the flip style so I'll consider it if they come out with a black or dark grey satin flip although I don't really have an issue with the slipperiness factor since I use a lanyard with all my cases. I am terrible about dropping things out of my hands and actually misplacing my phone unless it is literally attached to me. So lanyards are my phone's best friends!

Nerdy, I know. But whatever...they just work. ;)

I don't think having a lanyard for your phone is nerdy at all:) he11, I used to misplace my blackberry allllll the time:p I'd have to call the damn thing to find it lol. Thankfully I don't have that prob with my 4S !!

And if that works having a lanyard for you, then who really cares what other peeps think:) I know I certainly would not!!

I LOVE them and the white one has my eye and I'm thinking about getting someone a 4S for Christmas, and she'd love a case in pink and waterproof to 6.6 feet was it ? She would definitely love that lol
ooooh she must be someone special to be buying a 4S for PLUS a really nice case to go with !! ;):)

I have to admit, when I first looked at the LP cases I was like :eek: at the price lol. BUT overall after reading Alli's review etc. I thought a little more about it. It makes perfect sense to protect your investment that you value and use everyday:) I'm hoping Santa comes thru for me:D lol

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Let's hope so !! :)

You should read the review that Alli wrote. She posted a link to it in her above post#73. There's also a video that you can watch as well that shows the case in action etc.

:eek:reading her review and watching the video(again) is what convinced me to want to get this case now:)

You can also go directly to their website and see vids on it as well
Home page :: LifeProof Cases

Definitely, since the first part is a direct comparison to the Otterbox.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.
I bought the Defender, but I really don't like the bulk and weight of it all.. I got the glacier and it really looks nice, but I can hardly get it in and out of my pocket and don't like the clip, which I use all the time After having it on for 2 or so days it came off and I put Incipio back on..

So a followup question: how is the weight of the Lifeproof? I cannot find any specs on its size or weight.

So I just weighed my phone on a postage scale and with case it's 6.2 ounces. Hope that helps

Reactions: cyberpaw

jjcasillas15

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been using a black ElementCase ION 4. Love it! It's the "perfect" case I've been looking for. Provides my phone with good protection and looks really good. Doesn't add any bulk. Really happy with it!!

Elainece

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Taking a little time to figure out which Verizon iPhone 4 case is going to be best for you will definitely save you time, money and a few headaches in the long run. As simple as that may sound, you will still need to "pick out" a case. I

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've got a red Element Case Vapor Comp. looks good on the white phone. its pricey, but I figured that most people buy multiple cases and end up spending the same amount in the end.

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, just just got my Speck CandyShell Satin in and it's pretty nice.

I purchased a Body Glove snap-on case with my iPhone 4 when I got it and it was OK, but the bulk drove me crazy. It also had a soft rubber coating, and while it felt more secure in my hands it was a pain in the ass to take it out of my pockets. I ended up near an Apple Store one day and decided to stop in to see what other types of cases they had and I purchased a bumper. I really liked that it made the phone a little more grippy while not doubling the actual size of the phone, and I have been only using the bumper since then.

Unfortunately, after five months the bumper had started to stretch out near the top of the phone, and I had only removed it three or four times. It was driving me nuts so I decided to do a little research on new cases (paying $30 plus tax for a bumper every few months seemed like a waste, and I wanted to get some extra protection for the phone). I finally settled on the CandyShell Satin from Speck.

It's actually pretty sleek, and doesn't add that much bulk to the phone. It fits very snugly, and it doesn't appear that dust will be able to work its way under the rubber lip on the front of the case. My guess is that that is how the regular CandyShells fit as well. I purchased the dark grey/light grey one.

As far as the finish goes, it is definitely still a hard case, but it feels soft; it's kind of hard to describe. It does provide a little grip, but I don't have any problem pulling the phone out of my jeans pocket. If anyone already has a CandyShell, I can tell you that setting the phone down on its face provides much more grip than when you set it down with its face up. There is a little resistance face up when you try to slide the phone across a glass table, but it will still slide.

On the corners there are a couple of areas with rough edges, basically right where the soft rubber that surrounds the face of the phone meets with the hard outer shell. It's not sharp enough to cut you or anything, but it is somewhat noticeable. I haven't decided if I will mess around with sanding it down, since I'm not sure how the satin finish will react yet to sandpaper or a nail file. I'll probably be able to live with it.

One thing to mention is that the Satin finish definitely seems to attract dust. If you set it down on a dusty surface or put it in your pocket the dust or lint will stick to the back a little; however, I haven't had any problems wiping it clean. The finish also doesn't seem to pick up fingerprints, which is a plus. I would guess that the dust/lint issue is probably only a problem with the black case, and I wouldn't anticipate a problem with a lighter color.

So anyway, on day one I can say that I like the CandyShell Satin quite a bit, and I don't anticipate going back to a bumper. I may try a hard CandyShell or a CandyShell flip to change it up once in a while, but I have a feeling I'll be using this case for a while.

I'll take some pics later and add them to this post in case anyone is interested to see how it really looks. Unfortunately, since I got my iPhone it's the only camera I've been using, so my digital camera's battery is dead. Once I charge it up I'll snap some photos and try to attach them.

EDIT: Here are a few pics.

Last edited:

christyr143

Jul 24, 2008
Visit site
^ Thanks for that review! I love the candyshell and can't wait to try the satin. I'm waiting for them to come out with a pink or purple or something before I order one though.

Sent via smoke signals

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
SOOOOOO.....I decided NOT to wait for Santa to bring me a white life proof case:D I went and got one at BestBuy today. I just unpacked everything and I'm about to give it the seal of approval test by sticking it in a pot of water.....obviously before I install it on my iPhone.

As of right now while it's sitting in water I can say I'm not very crazy about the way the top left "screw cap" looks for the earbud jack. It kinda sticks out a bit lol.

Well I'll see how it goes and if I like the case overall after I install it on my iPhone.

Ok alls good-inside is dry as a bone !!

EDIT: ok, just to add a bit more about the case as of now. Playing music is a tad muffled but not terrible. My tx ringtone is def a lot more muffled than normal, but it's in a sealed unit so I would've expected this. My hearing is not so great so this may not be good for me. If I have my phone in my bag I prob won't hear it now. I'll have to test that out, as well as testing how the ringer itself sounds volume wise.

As far as the touch screen, it's buggin me a little bit that you have to tap a bit harder to get it to respond, and sometimes it's taken me 2 or 3 times for it to respond. Prior to the cover being on, this issue didn't exsist. I suppose I'll get used to that change.

I know how well my phone will be protected with this cover, but I'm just not so sure if it's for "me" I know it seems like I'm b!tchin about it, but these are just a couple of things that I'm noticing off hand:) and on the other hand i do think the product is a brilliant design. so, sorry if I sound negative:eek:

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I actually found the volume to be quite a bit louder in the LP case.

Definitely do the trick of pressing the case against your chest (or thigh) while pressing the back to push out the remaining bit of air.

SOOOOOO.....I decided NOT to wait for Santa to bring me a white life proof case:D I went and got one at BestBuy today. I just unpacked everything and I'm about to give it the seal of approval test by sticking it in a pot of water.....obviously before I install it on my iPhone.

As of right now while it's sitting in water I can say I'm not very crazy about the way the top left "screw cap" looks for the earbud jack. It kinda sticks out a bit lol.

Well I'll see how it goes and if I like the case overall after I install it on my iPhone.

Ok alls good-inside is dry as a bone !!

EDIT: ok, just to add a bit more about the case as of now. Playing music is a tad muffled but not terrible. My tx ringtone is def a lot more muffled than normal, but it's in a sealed unit so I would've expected this. My hearing is not so great so this may not be good for me. If I have my phone in my bag I prob won't hear it now. I'll have to test that out, as well as testing how the ringer itself sounds volume wise.

As far as the touch screen, it's buggin me a little bit that you have to tap a bit harder to get it to respond, and sometimes it's taken me 2 or 3 times for it to respond. Prior to the cover being on, this issue didn't exsist. I suppose I'll get used to that change.

I know how well my phone will be protected with this cover, but I'm just not so sure if it's for "me" I know it seems like I'm b!tchin about it, but these are just a couple of things that I'm noticing off hand:) and on the other hand i do think the product is a brilliant design. so, sorry if I sound negative:eek:

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner