Cases for iPhone 4S

coastalmama

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I got a grey/white Otterbox Defender 4s and while the look is everything I wanted, the worksmanship and customer service is not there. :( My bottom flap does not stay shut which was evident when I took it out of the package. Also the headphone hole does not line up with the hole cutout, it is reversed, so the hole is worthless, you have to lift up the flap entirely to plug in headphones. Pretty crappy build quality for a $50 case! And after calling and talking to customer service they will not outright replace the case, say they will only replace the outside rubber, of which they have none of so I have to wait with my new case taped up until they get replacement pieces to ship me out one. Very disappointing.Wanted to share in case anyone else was debating the Defender 4s. I'm now looking for my next case to go to.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I got a grey/white Otterbox Defender 4s and while the look is everything I wanted, the worksmanship and customer service is not there. :( My bottom flap does not stay shut which was evident when I took it out of the package. Also the headphone hole does not line up with the hole cutout, it is reversed, so the hole is worthless, you have to lift up the flap entirely to plug in headphones. Pretty crappy build quality for a $50 case! And after calling and talking to customer service they will not outright replace the case, say they will only replace the outside rubber, of which they have none of so I have to wait with my new case taped up until they get replacement pieces to ship me out one. Very disappointing.Wanted to share in case anyone else was debating the Defender 4s. I'm now looking for my next case to go to.

weird that you had that issue.. I have owned about 4 defenders on different model phones over the time and only had a problem with one of them and when i did have a problem they sent me out a new one right away and didnt even take the old one back..

djg21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The BASIC cases will work fine.

However, the more secure cases like the Otterboxes may not. In fact, for many of their popular iPhone 4 cases, they have in bold print "Will NOT work on a 4S".

(No reason why, but they made sure they posted it with their items to avoid any issues with unhappy customers...)

So, if you're looking for one of those expensive cases, make sure you read the fine print.

But if you just get a cheap, rubber case with a slap-on screen protector, it'll probably be fine.

The Otterbox Defender for the iPhone 4 fits the 4s fine, The only difference is the cutout window around the camera lenses which are more opened, apparently to allow for easier access and cleaning. I have used both.

I do like the 4s case better as the rubber/external rbber case seems to be a lot denser and stiffer, and stays on the internal frame better. I found that this makes the button on the case that depresses the home button on the phone to work better.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The Otterbox Defender for the iPhone 4 fits the 4s fine, The only difference is the cutout window around the camera lenses which are more opened, apparently to allow for easier access and cleaning. I have used both.

I do like the 4s case better as the rubber/external rbber case seems to be a lot denser and stiffer, and stays on the internal frame better. I found that this makes the button on the case that depresses the home button on the phone to work better.

But the commuter case the silicone cutout for the silent toggle is much bigger die to thy moved it ever so slightly down on the device

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

The hole isn't for the headphones, it's for the noise-cancelling mic. That's why it's on the other side.

As for the flap, try folding it over, then pushing it in. It usually seats fine when I do that, just have to get the edge under the plastic.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Costalmama: That hole near the headphone jack isn't for headphones, it's to leave the microphone open so when you record video the sound isn't muffled. I think all OtterBox cases have flaps that physically cover the headphone jack. I have the same case/color and mines the same way!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

hunoosh

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea I agree the OB defender is bulky but I have to admit I love the pink/white one of it:) but idt id ever use it

I have the OB Commuter and love it so far. My daughter uses the Defender and yes it is so bulky. Not my style but SHE definitely needs that bulk. She's a clutz. I'm just happy that she likes it too because she usually swaps cases constantly. But it's been a month and she's kept it on. It's pink/white as well. I wish OB would sell just the rubber inner part for the Commuter, in different colors. Maybe a light pink to go with the dark pink hard outer case. Idk but the white rubber on this thing is not going to stay white forever.

hurdleman48

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I used to put OB Defenders on my Blackberries but decided to go with a Lifeproof case for my 4s. I've found that for me all the silicone on the exterior made it a pain to pull the phone from my pocket. The Lifeproof case only has it on the rim on the front, so it fits my preference more

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the OB Commuter and love it so far. My daughter uses the Defender and yes it is so bulky. Not my style but SHE definitely needs that bulk. She's a clutz. I'm just happy that she likes it too because she usually swaps cases constantly. But it's been a month and she's kept it on. It's pink/white as well. I wish OB would sell just the rubber inner part for the Commuter, in different colors. Maybe a light pink to go with the dark pink hard outer case. Idk but the white rubber on this thing is not going to stay white forever.

That's great that she keeps it on to protect her iPhone :)

As for the silicone inner part, I agree with you for hoping they'd sell colors separate. I have an incipio silicrylic which is the same I believe, has the silicone inner with a plastic covering, and I'd LOVE to be able to get a white inner with a baby pink covering. Or even an all white inner/covering. I just think the white looks soo crisp and clean:) I do have an all white cover I ordered thru accessory geeks, and I know I'm gonna be wiping that sucker down almost every day just to keep it looking good. Oh well !! :)

hunoosh

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Well after having the Commuter pink over white rubber for a wk or so, the white isn't a whole lot noticably dirty. However, it is getting dirty and yellowish tinge. It's not really noticable until you take the hard pink cover off and look at the white rubber. I washed it with just soap and water and that seemed to help very little. I looked on the OB site and there is a lil hope for eventually getting replacement parts. The Q&A section answers a question about it saying they've gotten many requests and are looking in to it. If they'd just hurry already!

hunoosh

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
That's great that she keeps it on to protect her iPhone :)

As for the silicone inner part, I agree with you for hoping they'd sell colors separate. I have an incipio silicrylic which is the same I believe, has the silicone inner with a plastic covering, and I'd LOVE to be able to get a white inner with a baby pink covering. Or even an all white inner/covering. I just think the white looks soo crisp and clean:) I do have an all white cover I ordered thru accessory geeks, and I know I'm gonna be wiping that sucker down almost every day just to keep it looking good. Oh well !! :)

I noticed the Incipio has a small surrounding the camera. Have you noticed any issues with the flash. All the other cases are being upgraded to have the larger cutout area. I like this case and they're on sale for $20.99 but I don't know about the camera cutout.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the Incipio has a small surrounding the camera. Have you noticed any issues with the flash. All the other cases are being upgraded to have the larger cutout area. I like this case and they're on sale for $20.99 but I don't know about the camera cutout.

Hi hunoosh, sorry just saw your post today. As for the cut out, I have to be honest I only used the case for about a week to change to my HK pink one:eek: but when I did use it I don't recall any issues taking pix with it.

My daughters white 4S is coming tomorrow and she's swiping the incipio from me, and she loves to take pix so I can update my post and LYK how her pix come out with the case on;):)

On another note, my SwitchEasy case in milk white is on backorder and they don't know an estimated date so I'll be canceling that order for now:(

Last edited:
Reactions: hunoosh

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I had the otterbox commuter case but ended up swapping it for a Speck case which I found was really nice since I liked the 1 piece case. Ended up ordering a Speck case which holds 3 cards. It's slightly larger and bulkier than my other speck and otterbox but I like that I can carry my cc, drivers license, and gym membership with me all the time.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I had the otterbox commuter case but ended up swapping it for a Speck case which I found was really nice since I liked the 1 piece case. Ended up ordering a Speck case which holds 3 cards. It's slightly larger and bulkier than my other speck and otterbox but I like that I can carry my cc, drivers license, and gym membership with me all the time.

I was just reading some threads on MacRumors that some people really like the Speck cases. I think I'm gonna check out the Burton series of the Speck & possibly get one of those.

That one you have sounds nice also, that would come in handy for me as well to hold a dl & debit card:)

hunoosh

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Maybe my problem isn't the cases but the color. Lol. I am waiting for the Speck cases to be in stock so I can venture on to newer and exciting colors :)

7f01dad0.jpg

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner