Cases for iPhone 4S

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
^^ yep! I'd be phoneless if it weren't for my Mophie! Met a 70 year old with a black iPhone/ Mophie at a party yesterday. Gotta love it when the older crowd has it "going on" with their electronics! I'm not saying its altogether unusual, but it is with the folks I know. ;)

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Brinda, how much time do you get out of the Mophie with heavy use? I was doing a lot of texting, emailing and calling today and I killed my battery by 5:00. I might be getting the new iPhone (contingent on these new Verizon data share plans) and think I might opt for a Mophie. Also, is it easy to take the case off (for docking)?

Also, how do you go about charging it? Can you charge the case and phone separately? Sorry for the onslaught of questions, I've always wondered about how these things worked.

(Pink, or anyone else with a Mophie, feel free to chime in!)

Last edited:

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Brinda, how much time do you get out of the Mophie with heavy use? I was doing a lot of texting, emailing and calling today and I killed my battery by 5:00. I might be getting the new iPhone (contingent on these new Verizon data share plans) and think I might opt for a Mophie. Also, is it easy to take the case off (for docking)?

Also, how do you go about charging it? Can you charge the case and phone separately? Sorry for the onslaught of questions, I've always wondered about how these things worked.

(Pink, or anyone else with a Mophie, feel free to chime in!)

iLive,

The Air charges back to 100% from about 20% with a little left over. It is really easy to take off/put on, just be gentle with the top. It comes with a micro USB that charges both the case and phone and while they are charging at the same time, the phone tops off first, IMO. And you can absolutely charge them separately. I'm getting 2 days before having to plug it in again. I love it!

I'd have probably gone with the plus but I went for form over function. :eek:

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
iLive,

The Air charges back to 100% from about 20% with a little left over. It is really easy to take off/put on, just be gentle with the top. It comes with a micro USB that charges both the case and phone and while they are charging at the same time, the phone tops off first, IMO. And you can absolutely charge them separately. I'm getting 2 days before having to plug it in again. I love it!

I'd have probably gone with the plus but I went for form over function. :eek:

:) iLive, this is how i use my MP Plus also - Its a 'slider' type of case, so your phone will easily slide in/out with no effort really. Because the inside of the Mophie is a matte black with a 'velvety' type texture to it, your phone, sides & back will NOT get scratched up. I also use it to charge up when i'm at 20%, ive never let my phone go lower than that, although i prob do have enough if i were to let it run down to 10% but i dont. After charging up from the Mophie I also have some left over as well. The only difference between the Air & the Plus - the Air is a 1500mAh & thinner, whereas the Plus is 2000 mAh & thicker. I normally use my Mophie to charge my phone up after 2 days and then remove it to plug the Mophie in seperatly to have it charged back up and ready to go again. But, like Brinda pointed out, you could leave the case on your phone and charge both up together - the iPhone will charge first, then the Mophie will.

Another way to use the Mophie is to have your phone at 100%, and instead of letting the battery run down till you need the Mophie, you can turn the Mophie ON and use it all up first, then it will 'jump' to your phone battery. I've never done this so I cant say how long the Mophie lasts doing it that way.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Brinda and Pink!! I had no idea that the Mophie "charged" the iPhone. I always assumed that the iPhone took the battery from the case first then worked off the internal battery. Really interesting!! I'm definitely going to think about getting one for either my 4S or the new iPhone (if that works out).

PS - Pink, I got my GGB case today. I'll get some pictures up by the end of the week!

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
If you use your juice pack first and then your battery I get about 12 hours out of the plus. Doing this makes it last longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If you use your juice pack first and then your battery I get about 12 hours out of the plus. Doing this makes it last longer.

Whoa, you get 12 hours out of JUST the juice pack!? I don't think I would ever have to worry about running out of battery again...

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Yup. That's using it first. If you se the iPhone first then charge it off the mophie you don't get as long. Also that's the plus with a 2000 ma battery.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Zerog, you blew my mind with that usage! I can't believe it!! I use my phone constantly (I'm finishing up my Master's and do freelance marketing work). Between client emails/calls, texting, social media and keep up with friends, I'm charging my phone up by 5. The Mophie sounds like just what I need!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

edd

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Case Mate makes a "Barely There" case, the quality is good and they are pretty cheap on Amazon (Amazon.com: Case-Mate Barely There Slim Case for iPhone 4 / 4S: Cell Phones & Accessories). Are you set on plastic? They also make a "Barely There Brushed Aluminum" case too. A buddy of mine has it and he really likes it (Amazon.com: Case-Mate CM014540 Barely There Brushed Aluminum Case for iPhone 4 / 4S: Cell Phones & Accessories). He has the black one. The sides feel a little cheap but the back looks great! I'd recommend that!

I have that exact brushed aluminum case. Its nice enough and looks good but I tried to take it off my phone for the first time and it cracked effortlessly. I contacted the Amazon seller and they are sending me a free replacement so that's cool.

Another issue is that the barely there case is a bit slippery. I've almost dropped it several times. I finally decided to take it off (then I broke it) and put my inCase one back on for now. A little thicker for better protection but certainly better grip thanks to the rubber edges.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Edd, he offered to sell me his case but wouldn't let me put it on the phone because it was so hard to get off. I passed on that deal haha.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I decided to try this today. Unplugged my phone at 6:30 am. It's 4:50 pm and I'm at 100% with 2 of 4 lights showing on the Mophie. This is much better than the other way! Thank you zerog!

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I can't get over these juice pack battery stories!! I have an iHome clock radio, so if I scooped a Mophie up, I'd have to take the case off each night (unless it has a dock connector on the bottom). That would be amazing - using my Mophie with the iHome. I'd be in heaven!

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't get over these juice pack battery stories!! I have an iHome clock radio, so if I scooped a Mophie up, I'd have to take the case off each night (unless it has a dock connector on the bottom). That would be amazing - using my Mophie with the iHome. I'd be in heaven!

You would have to take it off, but it's really easy to do. I finally ran through the Mophie battery and am now at 91% on my phone battery. I easily got 13/14 hours out of it. Using the phone battery first, I'd be at 20% by 4:00 pm and have to switch on the Mophie.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Oh well of I can heavily use my phone and make it through a full day, it's worth the investment!! Sorry for the million question about this. Are there any parts that could wear out from taking the case off daily? The rubber edging on my CandyShell Flip started to come off from taking the phone in and out so much.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine since just after Memorial Day and it's showing no signs of wear at all. The front and back are a satin finish (except white, which is smooth like CS) and the Air has a silver band which is smooth. I slide my red one all over my desk and there are no scratches. Candyshells seem to scratch just by breathing on them. If you pick one up from Target, you have 90 days to return it. My Target people opened the box and put it on my phone so I could see it first hand, even though I told them I wanted red and was ordering it somewhere else. The only thing I was concerned about was the top piece because I saw a YouTube video where someone pinched it too hard while removing it and it cracked. It doesn't require that much effort, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Questions are what forums are for, btw! ;)

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
You would have to take it off, but it's really easy to do. I finally ran through the Mophie battery and am now at 91% on my phone battery. I easily got 13/14 hours out of it. Using the phone battery first, I'd be at 20% by 4:00 pm and have to switch on the Mophie.
Wow - you got 13/14 hrs out of your Air? thats great - i wonder what your usage could've been out of that total time too. :)

So i've never tried that method with my JP Plus, but i think i may give that a shot and see how i make out battery wise myself now:)

I've had mine since just after Memorial Day and it's showing no signs of wear at all. The front and back are a satin finish (except white, which is smooth like CS) and the Air has a silver band which is smooth. I slide my red one all over my desk and there are no scratches. Candyshells seem to scratch just by breathing on them. If you pick one up from Target, you have 90 days to return it. My Target people opened the box and put it on my phone so I could see it first hand, even though I told them I wanted red and was ordering it somewhere else. The only thing I was concerned about was the top piece because I saw a YouTube video where someone pinched it too hard while removing it and it cracked. It doesn't require that much effort, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Questions are what forums are for, btw! ;)
Also to add, i've had mine since mid April and it shows no signs of wear at all, and like Brinda, sometimes putting my phone down on the dr table or kitchen counter it slides across also. I tell ya, the Mophie case is made very well indeed, your right, the candyshells scratch soooo easily - its does get annoying considering how much we've paid for them!! I got rid of quiet a few of mine, and the few i have left i barely use anymore. BTW, the new $3 pink polka dotted case i got using it for the past week or so, the back has hardly ANY wear on it at all - its more resistant than a Speck candyshell is as far as physical wear goes:eek:

Does the Mophie have a built in screen protector? I can't stand those DIY SPs.
Laura, the Mophies do NOT have built in sp's. its a 2 part case that your phone slides into.:) heres a link to the site to check'em out.
Mophie Juice Pack Plus

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Wow - you got 13/14 hrs out of your Air? thats great - i wonder what your usage could've been out of that total time too. :)

So i've never tried that method with my JP Plus, but i think i may give that a shot and see how i make out battery wise myself now:)

Yes ma'am! I would guess that my total usage was 3/4 hours during that time. Keep in mind that I get horrible battery life @ work because of the lousy congested AT&T network where I work. My phone is always trying to connect so it's usually at 20% or less at the end of the work day with about an hour of use. :(

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes ma'am! I would guess that my total usage was 3/4 hours during that time. Keep in mind that I get horrible battery life @ work because of the lousy congested AT&T network where I work. My phone is always trying to connect so it's usually at 20% or less at the end of the work day with about an hour of use. :(

:)thats not bad at all then - as i do recall you saying your signal at work is not the greatest.

Also, I was bummed out the other night - i was using my Mophie and needed to snap a pic - keep in mind it was about 9pm - so i needed to use the flash :( the Mophie washed out the pic with the flash - i had to slide my phone up from the cases built in camera slot and THEN take my pic which came out perfectly after doing so. This was the first time i've had to use my flash with my phone in the Mophie and that just sucked BTW. So be on alert for this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711