Cases for iPhone 4S

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
well...i rec'd my DIY case from CaseMate today. I'm pretty disappointed for 2 reasons. 1) the way CaseMate set the image. if you look at the sides of my phone, the dots are stretched out - it looks terrible:( and 2) the color pink it came out was not the same color as the image i used - it came out darker and kinda coral colored, although it is still pink. (the dots on the back look fine tho)

(see my attached image for the stretched dots on the side i'm talking about-it happened on both sides)

If anyone decides to go this route with CaseMate using the DIY, be careful what image you choose. I knew there were no refunds, BUT I had faith the case would come out better looking!! I'm really disappointed, $40, I chose the tough case style, which overall I do like the style of the case itself. I've already emailed CaseMate about this. I dont expect perfection but the color wasnt close and the stretched dots.....:(

Last edited:

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The color is still nice, but I bet you were disappointed when it wasn't what you wanted. I'd definitely be angry too - the "dots" (er, ovals) look really strange on the side. I can only imagine how strange the circles on the back vs ovals on the side look. Maybe Case Mate will give you a coupon code or something for your defect?

So I just got an email from Speck. I entered into their "make your spark" contest this past weekend. I threw together an EXTREMELY lame "spark" (their logo). It was just paint on a palette in the shape of their logo. TBH, I just threw something together quick and kind of sloppy because they were giving away 15% off coupons to anyone who submitted a spark. Well I got an email today and apparently my spark was ranked as one of the top 75 and I won a free Golden Gate Bridge CandyShell Flip case!! My birthday is on Sunday, so I guess this is an early gift haha!

Reactions: ThePinkChameleon

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Pink, "no refunds" is BS! Those are NOT dots! I get why they have that policy. It's for people who pick something that they just end up not liking because they don't know how to design something. Did I mention that those are NOT dots. That's THEIR bad, not yours.

So I just got an email from Speck. *I entered into their "make your spark" contest this past weekend. *I threw together an EXTREMELY lame "spark" (their logo). *It was just paint on a palette in the shape of their logo. *TBH, I just threw something together quick and kind of sloppy because they were giving away 15% off coupons to anyone who submitted a spark. *Well I got an email today and apparently my spark was ranked as one of the top 75 and I won a free Golden Gate Bridge CandyShell Flip case!! *My birthday is on Sunday, so I guess this is an early gift haha!

NICE! Congrats!

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Pink, "no refunds" is BS! Those are NOT dots! I get why they have that policy. It's for people who pick something that they just end up not liking because they don't know how to design something. Did I mention that those are NOT dots. That's THEIR bad, not yours.

Agreed. Pink should be able to get a full refund based on the fact that it looks like false advertising.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
:)Ty ladies & gentlemen for your support. I'm actually pretty upset by this, and in addition to my email I sent off to Case Mate last night, I will be putting in a phone call as well - either this weekend if they have hours avail or on Monday morning. I'm going to try to get a refund just based on the fact that I'm completely dis-satisfied & I will gladly send this case back to them!! the strange thing is the dots on the back are as they should be, but it appears as if they stretched the image I used to fit the sides of the phone, hence causing the dots to become oval:rolleyes: un-fokking-believable!!

He11, I would've been better off buying the Kate Spade pink with white polka dotted silicone case from the Apple store for $35 instead !! at least all the dots are as they should be!!

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The color is still nice, but I bet you were disappointed when it wasn't what you wanted. I'd definitely be angry too - the "dots" (er, ovals) look really strange on the side. I can only imagine how strange the circles on the back vs ovals on the side look. Maybe Case Mate will give you a coupon code or something for your defect?

So I just got an email from Speck. I entered into their "make your spark" contest this past weekend. I threw together an EXTREMELY lame "spark" (their logo). It was just paint on a palette in the shape of their logo. TBH, I just threw something together quick and kind of sloppy because they were giving away 15% off coupons to anyone who submitted a spark. Well I got an email today and apparently my spark was ranked as one of the top 75 and I won a free Golden Gate Bridge CandyShell Flip case!! My birthday is on Sunday, so I guess this is an early gift haha!

iLive, I don't want a discount coupon from them. Period. I don't plan on purchasing another case from them again. Ever.

Congrats on your Golden Gate cs flip case you won:D and Happy (early) Birthday as well. I wonder if the spark you submitted will be put into production for a case Speck may make. I'm sure they would need your permission as well being you created it. But how cool would that be?!:D

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Pink, I'm a marketing guy and let me tell you, if CaseMate has any marketing, customer service or business acumen, they'll send you a refund. I didn't realize just HOW peeved off you were about case until now. If they're smart, they'll give you a refund. The $50 (or however much the case cost) is a lot less than the impact your negative experience will have on their business! They've already successfully alienated you, but I'm sure you won't have nice things to say about CaseMate/the DIY case if friends, family or other iMore users ask. Keep me in the loop about what happens, I'm curious to see how they respond. (PS - Hope I didn't offend you with my "coupon" comment; I didn't want it to come off like I was downplaying the problem or being jerky)

Speck is having an issue with their new website and people claiming their GGB case. I can't wait for it to arrive - should be here this week sometime.

That would be AWESOME if they made my design into a case! I don't think it will happen now, but I could definitely see them running a contest like that in the future! I think that would be an excellent idea!! Imagine some of the creative responses they would get!!

Thanks for the birthday wish too :)

Last edited:

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Pink, I'm a marketing guy and let me tell you, if CaseMate has any marketing, customer service or business acumen, they'll send you a refund. I didn't realize just HOW peeved off you were about case until now. If they're smart, they'll give you a refund. The $50 (or however much the case cost) is a lot less than the impact your negative experience will have on their business! They've already successfully alienated you, but I'm sure you won't have nice things to say about CaseMate/the DIY case if friends, family or other iMore users ask. Keep me in the loop about what happens, I'm curious to see how they respond. (PS - Hope I didn't offend you with my "coupon" comment; I didn't want it to come off like I was downplaying the problem or being jerky)

Thanks for the birthday wish too :)

:)noooo worries at all iLive, I know you didn't comment your coupon offering to down play anything;) So please don't worry - i was not insulted at all. And your absolutely right about how they've alienated me as a customer now, and TRUST ME, i won't be referring the whole DIY thing EVER to anyone either. The case was $40, and when i was creating the diy, believe me when i tell you i placed the image i was using just as it should have been, and the other mystery is why there was a color difference as well...its not drastic, but its not the shade of pink i chose either (or uploaded for that fact) Jeez, i create wps for myself, and in my bb days, i was creating BatteryEx skins and berry weather sets - so i do have a pretty good idea of wtf needed to be done lol.

OK - enough of me b!tching and whining like a little girl:p LOL :D lets all have a great weekend !!

sprocket2107

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
So I thought I had to wait a little while for the screen protector built into the defender to mold to my screen. It looks a little fuzzy, like the built in SP makes the retina display look like crap. Is this how it always is?

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So I thought I had to wait a little while for the screen protector built into the defender to mold to my screen. It looks a little fuzzy, like the built in SP makes the retina display look like crap. Is this how it always is?

I noticed a slight difference in screen quality with the OtterBox vs without it. I don't know if I'd say it was horrible. All screen protectors influence the quality of the retina screen (with the expecting of an "HD" screen shield - can't remember who makes it). I didn't really notice that big of a difference in mine, but that could be because I wasn't really worried about it.

Only thing I could say is maybe take a picture of your phone in the case and post it. I don't know if we'll be able to tell a difference or not.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, mine looks pretty bad with certain apps, I notice it on Scrabble real bad. It's like the oils in my fingers get on the screen and make it show the pixels real bad.

On most other apps I don't really notice it. I'm going to leave it in. I did see where some people tore out the built-in protector and just applied one of their own to the phone itself.

LVMHgirl

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, mine looks pretty bad with certain apps, I notice it on Scrabble real bad. It's like the oils in my fingers get on the screen and make it show the pixels real bad.

On most other apps I don't really notice it. I'm going to leave it in. I did see where some people tore out the built-in protector and just applied one of their own to the phone itself.

I popped mine out of my Otterbox cases. Couldn't stand the fingerprints, glare and overall feel. I have a Power Support AG screen protector on my phone anyway.

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone heard of the Catalyst Escape Capsule?? Another waterproof one but it's clear which is cool, it still shows off your iPhone. I won one on there Facebook page can't wait to try it out.

Posted with my iPhone 4s through tapatalk

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone heard of the Catalyst Escape Capsule?? Another waterproof one but it's clear which is cool, it still shows off your iPhone. I won one on there Facebook page can't wait to try it out.

Shooter, I just did a search on this and found the website. The case does indeed look interesting & i like the clear look of it as well. There are 2 color bands avail - clear with black & clear with blue. Congrats on the win:D I'm VERY interested in what your outlook is on it as well compared to the LP. I think the only concern I have right now just from looking at pics of it, is the type of "plastic" its made out of - I'm thinking if you drop it, it would crack easily ?? IDK. I would imagine Catalyst wouldve tested for incidents like that to be sure the case is durable.

If you would, I'd appreciate it if you could post your overall experience & use with the case:) I'd love to hear about it indeed!! I see that the company is taking pre-orders due to ship June 12th as well.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Just an update with my DIY Case-Mate fiasco. I called on Saturday and left a v/m because they were closed. This morning a rep returned my call - she said the case is warrantied, so they could produce another one if i emailed her the image i wanted and she didn't understand how my case 'slipped through' the quality inspection before it got sent out(she saw my pics i emailed with my oval dots). I told her that the case couldn't be printed/produced correctly the first time and i'm not willing to try a 2nd time & i asked for a refund with a prepaid mailing label as well. The rep verified everything with the supervisor because it was a custom case, and emailed me my RAN# along with a prepaid label.

Its packed up and at the post office waiting to go back, and i will be receiving a full refund for my total dis-satisfaction:) I'm happy with the outcome & that i'm not stuck with a $40 DIY case that didn't meet my expectations.

Also, just to add in, I found a pink with white polka dotted tpu case on amazon. Case plus shipping is costing me $2.98:D can't beat that!!

Last edited:

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Shooter, I just did a search on this and found the website. The case does indeed look interesting & i like the clear look of it as well. There are 2 color bands avail - clear with black & clear with blue. Congrats on the win:D I'm VERY interested in what your outlook is on it as well compared to the LP. I think the only concern I have right now just from looking at pics of it, is the type of "plastic" its made out of - I'm thinking if you drop it, it would crack easily ?? IDK. I would imagine Catalyst wouldve tested for incidents like that to be sure the case is durable.

If you would, I'd appreciate it if you could post your overall experience & use with the case:) I'd love to hear about it indeed!! I see that the company is taking pre-orders due to ship June 12th as well.

I know what you mean but it's been tested over and over again id imagine so I think it'll be ok. I'll do a bit of a review once I receive it.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Just an update with my DIY Case-Mate fiasco. I called on Saturday and left a v/m because they were closed. This morning a rep returned my call - she said the case is warrantied, so they could produce another one if i emailed her the image i wanted and she didn't understand how my case 'slipped through' the quality inspection before it got sent out(she saw my pics i emailed with my oval dots). I told her that the case couldn't be printed/produced correctly the first time and i'm not willing to try a 2nd time & i asked for a refund with a prepaid mailing label as well. The rep verified everything with the supervisor because it was a custom case, and emailed me my RAN# along with a prepaid label.

Its packed up and at the post office waiting to go back, and i will be receiving a full refund for my total dis-satisfaction:) I'm happy with the outcome & that i'm not stuck with a $40 DIY case that didn't meet my expectations.

Also, just to add in, I found a pink with white polka dotted tpu case on amazon. Case plus shipping is costing me $2.98:D can't beat that!!

That's great, Pink!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I would be curious too what you think. I love my lifeproof. This case is even more at $90 a case. Wondering if it's any better.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
That's great, Pink!
Way to go Pink! I've said it before, but you REALLY need to go into the case business! :)
via Tapatalk

:) thanks guys !!

I've since been using my Uncommon capsule cases - i have the black polka dot one and the purple with white birds one(i'll try to post pix later-but they are avail on VzW's site) I really like the capsule cases alot - they're similar to the way a candyshell sits on the phone except its a slider style-the bottom slides off for easy docking;) which now that i have the apple dock, it works well with it. I've also found a purple polka dot capsule on Amazon, so i may get that soon. When i'm not using my Apple dock if i need to charge at night, i throw on my Mophie:)

Brin, as far as going into the case business - it would be ALOT to plan out for taking into account sales, returns & warrantied cases etc - it could become a headache lol.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711