iOS Beta 4 bugs/findings thread

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
do it. you'll be glad you did. let us know how it goes!

Beta 3 battery life was very good, at least for me. Others have reported poor, good and "meh". For me, beta 4 is as good or better than beta 3 was.

BLiNK is right... you'll thank us (or yourself) for doing it!

snakester9

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else's mobile hotspot not working? My iPad sees the wifi network but won't connect, and over Bluetooth it connects, the blue bar shows up but pages don't load... May be the point I have to roll back, seeing as I actually pay for mobile hotspot.

Its a shame too, because otherwise this beta seems almost perfect.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Beta 3 battery life was very good, at least for me. Others have reported poor, good and "meh". For me, beta 4 is as good or better than beta 3 was.

BLiNK is right... you'll thank us (or yourself) for doing it!

after using it for a little over 24 hours now, i really do think the battery life is better on beta 4 as well

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hank, does this indeed work the way you think it does? i am having a difficult time understanding exactly what has changed. maybe it's too early haha

another thing.. i kind of wish we had the option to keep certain notifications in the NC, mainly to keep as reminders. also, i still think they should implement the use of the NC shade in lockscreen mode, but only after the device has been unlocked and locked again as the new will be cleared by doing this

hope this makes sense..

One more update from the release notes... it appears that clearing the badge count will also remove the Notification screen entry. If this works the way I think it does, it's a sweet update:

Push and local notifications for apps appear in the new Notification Center in iOS 5. Notification Center displays notifications that are considered "unread.? In order to accommodate push and local notifications that have no "unread" status, developers can use their application badge count to trigger a clearing of notifications from Notification Center. When an application clears its badge count (by setting it to zero), iOS 5 will clear its notifications from Notification Center.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hank, does this indeed work the way you think it does? i am having a difficult time understanding exactly what has changed. maybe it's too early haha

another thing.. i kind of wish we had the option to keep certain notifications in the NC, mainly to keep as reminders. also, i still think they should implement the use of the NC shade in lockscreen mode, but only after the device has been unlocked and locked again as the new will be cleared by doing this

hope this makes sense..

I haven't really noticed... I turned most of the badging off because the notification center is/was doing the "heavy lifting". I guess I need to turn them back on and experiment...

Yeah, I'd also like to see the notification stuff on the lock screen, but not sure how that could be done securely. That was always my issue with lockinfo. In order for it to be useful, you couldn't turn off text / email content, for example. But then the info is out there for anyone to see.

I'm going to have to think about that one... great idea, but not sure how to implement it. Having to unlock the screen to see the notifications ON the lock screen seems like a lot of extra/wasted effort...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I have the issue to where it will not sync over wifi. It sync's fine (except no photo's) plugged into the computer. Yes all the correct boxes are checked both on the phone and the PC. The only thing I can think of is that it's because my computer doesn't have a wifi card. It's connected to the router by a cable. I will dig out a spare wifi card tomorrow and see if that's the reason.

In order to use WiFi you have to have WiFi. There is no question that's the reason you can't sync via WiFi.

Reactions: Rodville

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
good point Alli, when Rodville mentioned "plugged into his router" i assumed he had a wireless router. knowing that is not the case now then that makes complete sense why he is unable to wifi sync. not so sure how a wireless card would work, hopefully it will??

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I haven't really noticed... I turned most of the badging off because the notification center is/was doing the "heavy lifting". I guess I need to turn them back on and experiment...

Yeah, I'd also like to see the notification stuff on the lock screen, but not sure how that could be done securely. That was always my issue with lockinfo. In order for it to be useful, you couldn't turn off text / email content, for example. But then the info is out there for anyone to see.

I'm going to have to think about that one... great idea, but not sure how to implement it. Having to unlock the screen to see the notifications ON the lock screen seems like a lot of extra/wasted effort...

i have been wanting to try the no badges with iOS 5 but have been hesitant in fear of missing something. has this been a reality for you?

i am sure down the road there will be a jailbreak tweak out there that will enable the NC dropdown while in lockscreen mode but like you mentioned security is definitely a concern. also, i would hope that while viewing the NC while in lockscreen and receiving a phone call that the incoming call would override the NC dropdown, which was the issue i had with LockInfo. it did not do it

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i have been wanting to try the no badges with iOS 5 but have been hesitant in fear of missing something. has this been a reality for you?

i am sure down the road there will be a jailbreak tweak out there that will enable the NC dropdown while in lockscreen mode but like you mentioned security is definitely a concern. also, i would hope that while viewing the NC while in lockscreen and receiving a phone call that the incoming call would override the NC dropdown, which was the issue i had with LockInfo. it did not do it

It's worked well. I still use badges for text messages, but not for email, Facebook, Boxcar, etc... and so far I've managed to keep up with everything.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else's mobile hotspot not working? My iPad sees the wifi network but won't connect, and over Bluetooth it connects, the blue bar shows up but pages don't load... May be the point I have to roll back, seeing as I actually pay for mobile hotspot.

Its a shame too, because otherwise this beta seems almost perfect.

I remember reading in the release notes that mobile hotspot is disabled in this build and will be reenabled in a future build.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm....3G download speeds are slower using beta 4. With beta 3's AT&T carrier profile of 10.2.4, I'd hit 3.5 megs down 95% of the time. Now with beta 4, carrier profile 10.2.6, I maybe hit 1.5 on most occasions. Beta 1 and 2 had similar speeds to beta 4. Let's hope beta 5 brings back those beta 3 speeds.

On the plus side, wi-fi speeds have gone from around 8-9 megs down on all previous betas to around 15-16 on beta 4.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Another bug found. Check out your Artists in the iPod part of your iPhone. Many artist are not listed under the correct letter.

cmdoptesc47

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Okay after playing with it for a night, here's what i've found:
1) Battery life is MUCH better after a clean install (no restore from backup this time). My usage and standby times aren't the same anymore. I'll have to check today, but I think battery life is pretty close to optimized.

2) Apps and general UI are still a tad buggy. Nowhere near as bad as betas 1 and 2 (the Chase app works now) but apps still crash from time to time. Scrolling is somewhat jerky, but not unusably so.

3) I'm getting the same bug in the Music app where my artists are barely sorted at all. There doesn't even seem to be too much rhyme or reason to it either.

And @Hobbit, in answer to your question: you don't. I didn't even install all my games on the beta because I knew my old progress would be gone anyways.

Hack3r

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I personally have noticed a large decrease in battery life. I havent added any new apps or changed any settings since the last release but i went into a movie last night at 98 % battery my wife had about 93% on her iphone running 4.3.3 and when i left my phone was super hot and down to 26% and i didn't touch it at all . And today i take it off the charger and use it a little bit and bam im at 90-85% .very frustrating.

snakester9

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I remember reading in the release notes that mobile hotspot is disabled in this build and will be reenabled in a future build.

Ahh ok thank you! Hopefully I'll be able to roll back. I understand the idea of beta software and sometimes it having bugs but I figured they wouldn't outright disable a feature most people are stuck paying good money for...

snakester9

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I personally have noticed a large decrease in battery life. I havent added any new apps or changed any settings since the last release but i went into a movie last night at 98 % battery my wife had about 93% on her iphone running 4.3.3 and when i left my phone was super hot and down to 26% and i didn't touch it at all . And today i take it off the charger and use it a little bit and bam im at 90-85% .very frustrating.

My findings are the exact opposite. I find I finish a day with around 20% more battery than I did with the last beta.

RobActivatesiOS5

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Battery life

Those who have great battery life with this beta build - did you restore from backup or do a clean install? Just wondering, because mine is less than ideal thus far.

Also, springboard hasn't crashed in the last 24-36 hours, so perhaps it was something that happens initially when you install the beta.

Oh, and the last feature that has yet be activated is "Newsstand." I'm not really anticipating it much, but it's the last thing that isn't activated.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro