Bought my girl the White IPhone 4 and got her the Griffen Survivor case so nothing could happen to the phone. Problem is, the plastic screen on the case blocks the proximity sensor from working so it doesn't black out the screen when she's on a call and holding it to her face. This leads to her going into mute, hanging up on the person, etc. Very frustrating. I even put my black Verizon IPhone 4 in the case and would test the proximity sensor and it wouldn't work with my phone as well. But the minute I take either phone out of the case, the proximity sensors work great every time! I can't believe Griffen would even sell this case knowing about this huge design flaw! This makes the case unusable, because who wants to always be risking hanging up on people because of a case? Anyone else have similar problems? Any known fixes?
    05-08-2011 02:48 AM
    Needs to be in iPhone accessories section...

My advice? Return it. Get something else.
    05-08-2011 07:08 AM
    Any suggestions what other cases would be similar? Apparently the Otterbox Defender doesn't work with the White Iphone4, it say so on their website.
    05-08-2011 09:25 AM
    Just look on the TiPB.com store. They have a pretty large selection!
    05-08-2011 04:52 PM
    Yeah I dont see any other "tough" ones though on tipb.com. Most are barely there type cases.
    05-08-2011 05:27 PM
    Take a look at the upcoming LifeProof case. I have always had an otter box, but I am making the jump to a LifeProof case. About as thin as a bumper case, dustPROOF, shockPROOF, and waterPROOF pretty impressive case.
    Last edited by rustyjar79; 05-08-2011 at 07:26 PM.
    05-08-2011 06:58 PM
    Yeah it's not out yet though is it?
    05-08-2011 10:08 PM
    I've heard really good things about Incipio's Destroyer case... plus it is a heck of a lot more attractive than any Otterbox I've seen
    05-08-2011 11:46 PM
    Yeah it's not out yet though is it?
    No, but it should be out by the end of MAY
    05-09-2011 06:28 AM
    Oh ok. I have an extra Defender so I'll probably just cut out the plastic around the proximity sensor till I find something better. Just annoys me because it doesn't saying anything about it not working with iphone4. I tried my black Verizon iPhone4 and her white verizon iphone4 and nether ones proximity sensor worked in the case. I sent them an email about the problem. Waiting for a response.
    05-09-2011 01:12 PM
    I have both the survivor and defender and don't have issues at all with the proximity sensor. That's strange about yours. Hope you get it figured out.
    05-09-2011 10:26 PM
    Really? Hmm that's interesting cause on Otterboxes website it specifically says that the White Iphone4 won't work with the Defender. Guess you got lucky, and got one that does.
    05-10-2011 02:46 AM
    I'm sorry, I should of been more clear. I have the black one. I was just commenting on the proximty sensor issue. I thought you said you had both and had the issue either way.
    05-10-2011 07:16 AM
    Oh ok no sorry my black one works in the Defender but not the Survivor. Haven't tried to put the white one in the Defender. Figured there's no point since they say it won't work.
    05-10-2011 08:36 AM
    My problem with the defender is they creak. The white iPhone is suppose to be a tad thicker. I wonder if it would actually be a better fit? I like the solid feel of the survivor which is the one I'm using now except typing can be a pain with the narrow and raised edges. That's a plus with the defender since it's a tad wider. Have you tried calling Griffin? Actually both companies seem to have excellent customer service.
    05-10-2011 09:04 AM
    Yeah I did call them. They said they were gonna check with their testing department and get back to me.
    05-10-2011 11:04 AM
    So I went to Verizon and tried 2 more Griffin Survivor cases! Same issue, proximity sensor still doesn't work in the case. Plus griffin never called me back after I spoke with them yesterday like they said they would. Frustrated! :-(
    05-10-2011 08:38 PM
    *Update*
    Griffin called me back today. They told me that quality control tested the case after I and other customers reported this problem and sure enough it doesn't work. Somehow the case is preventing the proximity sensor from working correctly. They said they will be looking into making a Survivor case that will work with the Verizon White Iphone4.

Glad to know I wasn't just having bad luck with cases. Looking forward to hearing from them so I can get it! Hopefully it won't take too long to come out with this "newer" model.
    05-11-2011 12:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD