View Poll Results: Otterbox Or Lifeproof

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Otterbox - Tried & Tested

40 57.14%
  • Lifeproof - Lots of hype but no real world experience?

30 42.86%
    This past weekend, received my replacement front plate. Callers not hearing me is no longer an issue and the echo while using speakerphone and Facetime is dramatically decreased. Even though the echo for speakerphone is still there, very happy with my case, now. The customer service is good except for the long wait for response and parts to ship. They are just overwhelmed with questions and demand so should get better as they get caught up. Noticed my backplate had some larger gaps at the bottom corners which were worse with my replacement front so they are supposed to replace my backplate, too. Assuming there must have been some problems with the first couple of batches as I was part of the first order batch. Would highly recommend this case, now. Also, noticed a lot of their items have free shipping using USPS First Class Mail. This was a big part of why I bought my dock extender from them instead of anyone else. I, too, am waiting for the belt clip/holster which is supposed to be available in Sept. Due to the unusual dimensions of the LP case, don't think there is any holster currently out that will fit.
    08-08-2011 02:02 PM
    I'm guessing with the lifeproof case installed the noise concealing mic doesn't work at all or does it? Just wondering if your in a loud environment?
    08-08-2011 05:57 PM
    I'm guessing with the lifeproof case installed the noise concealing mic doesn't work at all or does it? Just wondering if your in a loud environment?
    It works as long as you don't cover up the mic itself to try to remedy the echo issue. I just left mine with the echo problem. My wife said it wasn't that bad especially when compared to the defective front that I originally had.
    08-10-2011 01:58 PM
    Im returning my life proof. For $70, callers need to hear me. Im on my third front cover. Again for $70, I dont want to hassel with changing it out every other week. I understand its a new case and bugs need to be worked out, but Im moving on. I will say this, it does do what they say, mainly the water proof, I got some cool vids under water and pics at the beach. But once the novelty wears off, the case can be a little bulky, unless you absolutely need that extreme protection, then theres no way around that and this would be one of the better choices.
    08-24-2011 12:17 PM
    I'm returning mine too. I have a RMA request in and hope to send it back in the next couple of days. Great for waterproof needs, poor sound & the the Radtech cable attachment was loose.
    08-24-2011 07:18 PM
    Yeah I am sticking with my Griffin Survivor. The Otter was a let down too.
    08-25-2011 09:47 AM
    Well, they are sending me a complete new one. I got to say this they do have excellent customer service. So Im gonna give it one more try. I have to admit, the last couple days was scary not being lifeproofed. I hope this one works.
    08-26-2011 12:18 AM
    I love this case! I'm looking to get one for my iPad 2 when they release it. I don't have an iPhone but I was sure I'd like it before and def am now thanks to all of ya'lls comments. The big sell for me is the waterproofing. There's no other case that can do that out on the market like this with it's thin profile. It's amazing! Although I'll probably wait a couple of weeks after the release because of the effects from the first batch you guys have had. But all this is good to know
    08-26-2011 02:06 AM
    I will stay with Otterbox every one that I know with the lifeproof case have had lots of problumes.
    08-27-2011 04:09 PM
    Never thought I'd say this, but I'm about ready to send my LifeProof case packing. It is supposed to be "dustproof", but dust particles and tiny hairs and such get behind the screen constantly. And, speakerphone is totally useless - even with the "echo fix kit" they give you. I can no longer use speakerphone - ever. And, using FaceTime is a chore as well, as whoever I am talking to hears nothing but the echo of their own voice.

It is waterproof, as I've dunked it many, many times. But does that one advantage outweight the other drawbacks? Not so sure.
    09-13-2011 01:52 AM
    I had issues with my first case but they sent me a replacement and it's sweet. It's a new updated design front with a few minor tweaks that make the sound perfect and speakerphone/facetime work beautifully, and of course it's waterproof.
    09-13-2011 02:45 AM
    I had issues with my first case but they sent me a replacement and it's sweet. It's a new updated design front with a few minor tweaks that make the sound perfect and speakerphone/facetime work beautifully, and of course it's waterproof.
    They are sending me a new one too! Their customer service is excellent. I look forward to the improvements. Do u still need to blow into mic?
    09-13-2011 08:59 PM
    What did they update?

Thanks,

Rob
    09-13-2011 10:56 PM
    Sound was a issue for some people, not being loud enough. And the screen bowing out was a issue. Also it now has two extra little bumps on the side to protect the mute switch.
    09-14-2011 06:08 AM
    They are sending me a new one too! Their customer service is excellent. I look forward to the improvements. Do u still need to blow into mic?
    Nope. The updated front really is a lot better and works a treat. I've got no issues at all now.
    phreddyl likes this.
    09-14-2011 06:09 AM
    Nope. The updated front really is a lot better and works a treat. I've got no issues at all now.
    Very cool. Can't wait. Got my shipping notification yesterday.
    09-14-2011 07:30 AM
    Other than being crazy busy from demand, the customer service is good. Just need to be patient. Replacement front still has echo issue while using speakerphone and my replacement back half is starting to lift on two corners. Returning mine for a full refund. Too many other compromises I had to make with accessories, too. Don't need my iPhone water resistant that bad. I'm sure on future cases, all the kinks will be worked out and 3rd party accessories will be considered in the design (Not that big of a deal when considering they are a brand new company and this is their first product.). Would still consider Lifeproof on future phone cases!
    09-15-2011 07:47 PM
    Never thought I'd say this, but I'm about ready to send my LifeProof case packing. It is supposed to be "dustproof", but dust particles and tiny hairs and such get behind the screen constantly. And, speakerphone is totally useless - even with the "echo fix kit" they give you. I can no longer use speakerphone - ever. And, using FaceTime is a chore as well, as whoever I am talking to hears nothing but the echo of their own voice.

It is waterproof, as I've dunked it many, many times. But does that one advantage outweight the other drawbacks? Not so sure.
    My Lifeproof case went on eBay the day after I got it. Fortunately that was when people were still fighting to get their hands on one. That screen protector drove me nuts. I certainly can appreciate all the pros and cons that members have listed. The back of the case felt like it was vibrating when the phone would ring. JMO but the music quality was poor when the case was on it. I guess I expected more for $70 but I was not impressed. Now the Griffin survivor is one case I really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-15-2011 08:05 PM
    Yeah, I have been using my phone without the LifeProof for a few days now and it's great to be able to use speakerphone and actually hear people on normal phone calls as well. I never realized how much the LifeProof case lowered the phone's speaker and voice volume!

Now I just have to figure out what to do with my old LifeProof case.
    09-16-2011 01:41 AM
    I have had mine on since I got it and it worked great for being waterproof but it just doesn't have the fit and finish or the feel of an expensive case. I am now back in my Otterbox Defender in Zircon blue and although not waterproof I am still very confident in taking my phone to work with me and can use my speakerphone as well as any charge/sync cable I want, hard to argue with that plus it has that solid Otterbox feel again. I do notice about a 25% increase in volume from the speaker as well.
    09-24-2011 08:43 PM
    I think the point is being missed. The cases are not the same. The Otterbox is a tough case but not something I would take to an extreme adventure race. Where the Lifeproof case is not something you would use everyday...

I just got my Lifeproof case in the mail to use for the Warrior Dash this weekend. Mud, Water, lots of mess... It is not going to be an everyday case though.
    09-26-2011 08:16 AM
    LifeProof says on their site that the case isn't meant to be removed very often, if ever. I think they're intending for it to be used every day.
    09-26-2011 05:57 PM
    I actually asked them this and in a way your both right. It's not meant to be removed that often but about 50 times before the seal won't work
    09-27-2011 07:46 AM
    I prefer OtterBox just because they seem to have the best protection, but I'm open to the idea of the LifeProof case. I just have never tried it.
    10-05-2011 05:04 PM
    I've has mine now since beginning of July and it is a good case. I have had it in the water just for fun in the beginning but that novelty wore off. I keep it on during the week when I am working because it does protect the phone well and keeps ALL of the saw dust and other dust out. It comes off on the weekend and back to a bumper. The only thing that I don't like is the size
    10-13-2011 10:20 AM
135 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD