View Poll Results: Otterbox Or Lifeproof

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Otterbox - Tried & Tested

40 57.14%
  • Lifeproof - Lots of hype but no real world experience?

30 42.86%
    Post deleted as I read on page 2 that the question I responded to was already answered.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 07-12-2011 at 09:38 PM.
    07-12-2011 09:25 PM
    I've had my LifeProof case since Thursday. I got the black one, and I love it.

The thickness/size is the same as the OtterBox Commuter series, except the LifeProof is a bit longer at the bottom.

Overall, it isn't perfect, but it's as close as I've seen. I have no desire to ever take this case off or switch it out for another one, and that's saying something for me (a true case addict with an iPhone that's always dressed differently).

Pros:
    - Waterproof (obviously). I took it in the bathtub, the shower, and even put it in the sink to scare my friends.
    - Slimness. It's smooth and pocketable, something my OtterBox Defenders lacked greatly.
    - Appearance. I think LifeProof is an attractive case and fits the iPhone 4's profile very well.
    - Durability. I haven't tested it yet, but many other owners have. Search YouTube. This thing lives up to its military-spec rating, definitely.

Cons:
    - Screen is odd. It has a bit of a contour shape to it, so the extreme lower and upper regions sit up off of the screen ever so slightly. It takes a bit to get used to, but isn't something unmanageable.
    - 'Rainbow' effect. Sometimes, the screen of the case and the screen of the phone can touch in an odd way that leads to "rainbow" watermark looking areas, similar to the 3GS OtterBox Defender's original issues. My watermark spots come and go, but never stay there long.
    - Noise. Extremely loud ringtones, such as the chorus of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" can reverberate through the back of the case, since it is air and watertight. The noise can go up through the back if you hold the case wrong. It is hardly noticeable, though.

That's about it. Overall, I love the case and it was well worth it.
    07-16-2011 05:31 PM
    I'm getting one. They look sweet and the protection is unbelievable.
    07-16-2011 08:07 PM
    TBH, the lifeproof doesn't really appeal to me. Might change my mind if I saw one in person. I really like using a holster and keeping my pockets free. That being said, no otterbox for me. I love my griffin survivor or sometimes just a bumper which I still carry in a holster. Old fashioned I guess...
    07-17-2011 12:10 PM
    TBH, the lifeproof doesn't really appeal to me. Might change my mind if I saw one in person. I really like using a holster and keeping my pockets free. That being said, no otterbox for me. I love my griffin survivor or sometimes just a bumper which I still carry in a holster. Old fashioned I guess...
    LifeProof makes a holster.
    07-17-2011 01:57 PM
    They have a holster listed for sale but they aren't avaiable for sale at this time.
    07-17-2011 08:51 PM
    I was curious and went on eBay. These things are selling for double at this point. Shoot should have pre ordered two and basically get one for free lol
    07-17-2011 09:54 PM
    Never heard of the lifeproof case sounds like its worth checking out.
    07-18-2011 10:09 PM
    Finally, got my Lifeproof, yesterday. Paid on 5/31 and it got mailed out on 7/12. Took an additional 4 days to receive since USPS misrouted it. Overall, I'm happy with the case, but small things make me not 100% happy with it. The materials used seem cheapy, but don't get me wrong, a lot of R&D went into this case and I can appreciate it for what it is. Considering this, I'm sure the materials used had a purpose such as helping with a good seal, shock resistance, lightweight, etc. It does everything as advertised. Definitely worth looking into. Keep in mind that you can only charge it with the OEM Apple sync cable or the Radtech dock extender.
    07-19-2011 01:54 PM
    The only thing I don't like is the space between the screen cover and the phones actual screen... They need to fix that. But listening to music/podcasts in the shower makes it friggin worth it lol- it's the little things in life
    07-19-2011 02:50 PM
    Finally got mine in the mail today, Not what I was expecting rather cheap and flimsy feel and the fit and finish makes it seem like they rushed this to get it out. I will admit it is 100% waterproof and by default 100% dust proof but the cheap plastic screen protector on the front half of the case is a big concern I can see this being scratched up rather quickly. I would say if I had the knowledge I do now that from day one I would have ordered one of those aluminum bumper vapor cases and added some cheap screen protectors to the front and rear glass and called it good, my Otterbox defender let in so much dust and sand in the process of the last 2 pools I installed that my front glass now has etched in scratches like you get on your car windshield from little rocks etc makes me kinda angry I wasted money on a case just to have the phone look used and abused after 4 mos anyways. I like the waterproof dust proof idea behind the Lifeproof but the cheap plastic and poor fit and finish ruined it and at $69.99 plus $15 shipping I was expecting more. I used a small spoon edge to pry the case open and upon doing so I managed to put several small indentations into the plastic very noticeable on my white cover!! And the opening for charging and syncing is extremely tight fitting even with the apple cable and I will admit I have been using $.98 Ebay cables as I can get them long enough to actually charge the phone and use it at the same time. I will use this Lifeproof for a week and see how it grows on me but right now I am leaning towards either going back to Otterbox or trying the vapor with screen protectors.
    07-22-2011 12:00 AM
    My screen had a gap between it and the phone and it has totally settled after about a week. I don't think the case feels any cheaper than the OtterBox Defender ever did, hell, it creaked and crunched depending on how I held it!

I <3 LifeProof, but that's my opinion.
    07-22-2011 12:07 AM
    I am starting feel it settling after a few days- the gap is a little less noticeable between the screen and the cover. The case doesn't feel cheap to me like some feel it is- I was just hoping for a little more of a rubbery feel on the back portion.
    07-22-2011 02:11 AM
    Mine has started to settle already after just a day but the bubbled screen is the least of my worries I can already see where the Otterbox defender screen had minor scratches from the sand and crap I work in day to day the Lifeproof is going to be completely scratched and seriously reduce clarity of the screen.
    07-22-2011 12:59 PM
    After having my Lifeproof for almost a week, I must say that it is starting to grow on me. Aside from the front screen protector, the case feels very much a part of the phone which is what I was looking for. Considering all the protection that it provides, this case is one of the best all around cases out. However, there are some small issues that I am willing to put up with such as the gap of the screen protector and the phone and the mic issue. The mic issue is that due to the water resistant capability of the case, the gortex membrane over the mic occasionally needs to be blown in a little every now and then. If anything, this is the main thing I don't care for but is the price to pay for a water resistant case. The size and weight are definite pros with this case. Forgot to mention the other downside was having to use a dock extender if you don't want to use the OEM sync cable for charging. A good thing I do like about the case is the increased audio volume due to the design of the case near the 30-pin dock. I can see others not liking this case, but depends on what you're looking for.
    07-22-2011 05:17 PM
    Who else has one? Gonna hopefully get my order link soon. It's not a cheap case so I want all the opinions I can get. Anyone regret buying it? Thanks in advance.
    07-22-2011 05:47 PM
    Has anyone found a spring clip that works with the Lifeproof? I should be receiving my order link shortly but need to use a holster. Any thoughts?
    Thank you
    Jordan
    07-23-2011 10:58 PM
    Who else has one? Gonna hopefully get my order link soon. It's not a cheap case so I want all the opinions I can get. Anyone regret buying it? Thanks in advance.
    Since you asked and I keep going back and forth on my impressions of the case, here we go, again. Found out that I have a defective, or so they say, front half. Sometimes people can't hear me because the bottom mic vent gets stuck. This is not a good thing especially when you are leaving a voicemail since you have no idea if the person can hear you or not. Also, the top noise-cancellation vent has some kind of tolerance issue so that the person you are talking to hears a loud echo of themselves. This is for both the phone and Facetime. They are sending me a new replacement front, but if there are issues with that, I'll probably return the whole case and ask for my money back. Other than that, it is really cool to have a water resistant case. I compared it to my sister's Otterbox Defender and it is only a tad narrower. The Lifeproof is much thinner but at the cost of being substantially longer, too. It's very close in size to the Otterbox Commuter, but a little longer. The Defender looks like it would provide better shock protection so it really comes down to what is important to you.

Some features besides the obvious water & shock resistance, are that the camera lenses are very well protected without adversely affecting the performance. For what it is, the case is fairly light and slim.

There are several downsides which I am okay living with. The first is that the volume buttons, power button, and vibrate switch are much harder to operate. Since there is a built-in screen protector, it doesn't lie completely flat on the phone so can be annoying to some (my wife hates it). I haven't had any problems with the way the front screen protector is. I would highly recommend purchasing the Radtech Dock Extender from Lifeproof on the same order. This will allow you to use other sync cables than just the OEM Apple one. Plus, it seemed to be reasonably priced from Lifeproof.

Most people that show the case to think it's neat that it is water resistant, but don't find the size and price very appealing. This is just honest feedback so you don't get caught in all the hype. If the water resistant feature wasn't so important to me, I would buy a much cheaper and slimmer case instead.
    Last edited by wrxnfx; 07-28-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    phreddyl likes this.
    07-28-2011 03:59 PM
    Since you asked and I keep going back and forth on my impressions of the case, here we go, again. Found out that I have a defective, or so they say, front half. Sometimes people can't hear me because the bottom mic vent gets stuck. This is not a good thing especially when you are leaving a voicemail since you have no idea if the person can hear you or not. Also, the top noise-cancellation vent has some kind of tolerance issue so that the person you are talking to hears a loud echo of themselves. This is for both the phone and Facetime. They are sending me a new replacement front, but if there are issues with that, I'll probably return the whole case and ask for my money back. Other than that, it is really cool to have a water resistant case. I compared it to my sister's Otterbox Defender and it is only a tad narrower. The Lifeproof is much thinner but at the cost of being substantially longer, too. It's very close in size to the Otterbox Commuter, but a little longer. The Defender looks like it would provide better shock protection so it really comes down to what is important to you.
    Some features besides the obvious water & shock resistance, are that the camera lenses are very well protected without adversely affecting the performance. For what it is, the case is fairly light and slim.

There are several downsides which I am okay living with. The first is that the volume buttons, power button, and vibrate switch are much harder to operate. Since there is a built-in screen protector, it doesn't lie completely flat on the phone so can be annoying to some (my wife hates it). I haven't had any problems with the way the front screen protector is. I would highly recommend purchasing the Radtech Dock Extender from Lifeproof on the same order. This will allow you to use other sync cables than just the OEM Apple one. Plus, it seemed to be reasonably priced from Lifeproof.

Most people that show the case to think it's neat that it is water resistant, but don't find the size and price very appealing. This is just honest feedback so you don't get caught in all the hype. If the water resistant feature wasn't so important to me, I would buy a much cheaper and slimmer case instead.
    thanks for the input- I work at a community center as a fitness and aquatics director and in my spare time I am a director of a day camp... Waterproof is important to me lol- what you describe as the front concerns me a bit but until I see it i won't know- did my order today and I did order the dock extender but ordered it through amazon instead- I have a bunch of gift cards left and figured might as well save where i can- called lifeproof to make sure its the same one and they said yes-
    Last edited by Phreddyl; 07-28-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    07-28-2011 06:29 PM

How can you tell if bottom mic gets stuck? I got my case today and my friend said I sounded far away. I blew into the speakers which I guess is also the mic and they said that made it sound better. Do I have to do that each time? That will get annoying
    08-02-2011 08:47 PM
    I've had the lifeproof now for a few days after weeks of being on pre-order list, gotta say I like it, I love the protection it offers. If you sturdy the case before putting your phone in it you will see they did a great job in impact absorbtion without all the bulk, totally in love with being able to put in my pocket and get it out easy, so worth it on that alone with the protection. I did test the waterproof design ( without my phone first lol) and it worked flawlessly. As a motorcyclist you never know when your gonna get wet and now I don't have to worry about that anymore. The screen def does get air between the screen cover and the phone causing a bubble, goes away as you use it or press on it and it's becoming less noticeable as time goes on. The thinness of this case compared to other rugged cases is amazing, I just can't believe no other manufacturer has tried to get this thin. Even my teenagers think this case is cool, not bad for old dad Just so you know where i"m coming from my list of previous cases (and yes there are many, case junkie I know) are
    1. Otterbox Defender
    2. Ballistic HC
    3. Griffith Explorer
    4. Gumdrop Drop series
    5. Seidio Active
    6. Case Mate Pop
    7. Acase SuperLegga
    8. Sharkeye
    : Thats all of them for now, sticking with the lifeproof after all them, size and protection is too hard too give up (Btw the sharkeye was a great case and would prob not have looked at lifeproof if the screen opening was bigger, too hard for me to type on)
    08-05-2011 12:28 PM
    After a month or so of my LifeProof, my only complaint is the echo my caller hears when using speakerphone or FaceTime. Definitely not a deal breaker.
    08-07-2011 02:43 AM
    I stopped using my Lifeproof case because of the poor call quality.
    08-07-2011 08:28 AM
    Have any of you with problems with your LifeProof Cases contacted them? They seem to stand by the cases pretty good I hear..I've had my case for 3weeks now and the air gap between the case and screen is gone. I work in construction so this case has been dropped and scratched but still looks great. I will say it does show if it gets abused to much but I love this case.
    08-07-2011 04:00 PM
    I stopped using my Lifeproof case because of the poor call quality.
    Want to sell it?
    08-07-2011 04:06 PM
135 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD