I've had my new VZW iphone 4 in an Otterbox since the day I got it... it's been in the defender series, but I'm noticing a lot of dust collecting between the built-in screen protector and the screen. I'm thinking of purchasing the commuter series to avoid having anything on the top of the screen so I could simply use a peel n stick screen protector. I have 3 kids under the age of 6, but I really don't let them handle the phone that much (I let them "inherit" my ipod touch when I got my phone). Does the commuter series still offer basically the same protection as the defender, just without the built in screen protector? I like how the sides of the defender are raised so the screen is sort of set inside it... does the commuter series do that? Nowhere around here carries the otterbox so I have no way of looking at it before I buy online... any advice?
    03-05-2011 08:36 AM
    Does the commuter series still offer basically the same protection as the defender, just without the built in screen protector? I like how the sides of the defender are raised so the screen is sort of set inside it... does the commuter series do that? Nowhere around here carries the otterbox so I have no way of looking at it before I buy online... any advice?
    Short answer is "Yes" the Commuter offers very good everyday drop protection. Two quick examples:

1) Daughter (17) comes down stairs the other morning half-asleep! Drop her iP4 down the Wooden Stair Case, hits every step on the way down, and onto the Hardwood floor. Picks it up and no damage at all.

2) Youngest son (15) gets out of the Truck the other day after our "driving lesson" Forgets iP4 is in his lap and it tumbles out and skids across driveway. Picks it up and no damage at all. I have a tall truck also.

My oldest son (17) keeps his in a Defender. I tried to get them all to use a Defender, but the other two like that the Commuter slid in and out of jeans pockets easier than Defender. So far I have been very pleased. I use a Commuter during the week and then usually switch to the Defender for the Weekend. I play kind of hard on the weekends.
    03-05-2011 08:53 AM
    I prefer the Commuter case. Less bulk and fits in my pocket. Dropped my iPhone4 2 times and no damage. I would pick the Commuter case for sure.
    03-05-2011 09:04 PM
    take the defender off, pop out the screen protector from the inside...peel off the gooey glue type stuff that holds it on. I did that on mine...I use a separate screen protector so the screen is still protected, no dust build up, and the screen itself looks way better too. It doesn't look odd or anything at all, looks exactly the same just without the extra screen shield that's built in.
    03-05-2011 10:23 PM
    I love love love my all white Defender

03-06-2011 01:43 AM
    are the 3.5mm jacks on the otterboxes rather small?
    03-06-2011 02:03 AM
    I prefer the Commuter case. Less bulk and fits in my pocket. Dropped my iPhone4 2 times and no damage. I would pick the Commuter case for sure.
    Actually, with the iP4 there is not a lot a differences between the two. I didn't think so either until I compared the two. They are virtually the same thickness. The Defender is a little wider and taller but not much. Now the commuter feels sleeker in the hand even though they are the same thickness. Also with the plastic on the outside of the Commuter is slides in and out of Jeans a little easier.
    03-06-2011 08:47 AM
    are the 3.5mm jacks on the otterboxes rather small?
    The jack itself is the same size, but the flap or opening on the Defender is quite large. plenty of room for most any after market headphones. The Commuter is a little smaller.
    03-06-2011 08:49 AM
    Would anyone mind posting a pic of the Defender from the top so I can see the flap for the 3.5mm jack? I want something that will accommodate the large plug on my Audio Technicas.
    03-09-2011 04:16 PM
    The Otterbox Commuter case also fits perfectly into a Seidio Active Case holster :-)
    03-09-2011 10:29 PM
    I got the otterbox defender for my iphone 4 and the built in screen protector kinda like isnt directly on the screen. Like i need to push the phone more than usual to press things, not by much. So is this normal? And has anybody cut off their screen protector?
    03-31-2011 06:54 PM
    My first Otterbox was like that. Not against the screen very good. I exchanged it and much better. Not completely sealed down but good enough that it worked without problems
    03-31-2011 06:56 PM
    My first Otterbox was like that. Not against the screen very good. I exchanged it and much better. Not completely sealed down but good enough that it worked without problems
    I dont really think its a defect or anything. Also i have the verizon iphone with the original otterbox defender. Could that make a difference?
    03-31-2011 08:42 PM
    Commuter fits so much nicer than the Defender, I sell them.
    03-31-2011 09:58 PM
    Was actually having a different problem with my sons Defender, so he took the built in screen protector out/off of the Defender and put an Anti-Glare screen protector on the phone. Looks and works great!
    03-31-2011 10:55 PM
    I like the Commuter case better too. Perfect fit. First one I bought didn't fit correctly. The corners were stretched out and the silicone part was very loose. I called them and got a replacement and it fits perfectly. No problems with the screen protector.
    04-01-2011 09:18 AM
    Is there a stock holster for the Commuter case? I have Seidio Innocase II holster. Not sure if that works with the Commuter?
    04-01-2011 09:24 AM
    Is there a stock holster for the Commuter case? I have Seidio Innocase II holster. Not sure if that works with the Commuter?
    The Seidio Innocase II does fit with the commuter. I have some pics posted in the thread under iPhone 4 cases. The minor mods I did were to just make it fit a little nicer. If you can deal with a slightly larger case, the Defender is a much better case. I'm happy with my Commuter combo especially since I was able to mod it to include a built-in kickstand.
    04-01-2011 12:02 PM
    Def want to buy a Commuter just need one that isn't all loose, but way better than the Defender. Love the case but too bulky sometimes.
    04-22-2011 09:20 PM
    I love my Defender as well I am thinking when im home though I might get a shell just for the weekends. I work as a Security Guard for the school dept and the kids can be kind of unruly lol so I need all the protection I can get..
    05-01-2011 08:50 AM
    I like the Commuter case better too. Perfect fit. First one I bought didn't fit correctly. The corners were stretched out and the silicone part was very loose. I called them and got a replacement and it fits perfectly. No problems with the screen protector.
    I just got the new Reflex case by Otterbox. I am truly impressed by it. I like the idea of the 2 piece set-up. The commuter case was a bit difficult to put back on after removing it. The reflex just slides on and clicks to lock it on. I like it much better.
    05-03-2011 07:54 AM
    I just got the new Reflex case by Otterbox. I am truly impressed by it. I like the idea of the 2 piece set-up. The commuter case was a bit difficult to put back on after removing it. The reflex just slides on and clicks to lock it on. I like it much better.
    I recently picked up a Commuter case. It was either that or the Reflex (the Defender is just overkill for me). So far, the Commuter is working out well for me. The reviews of the Reflex I saw online made it seem as though there would be a little bit of play with the grip since there's an airpocket around the phone. I DO like the idea of a two-piece slide and lock design better than the Commuter, but I've managed to install and remove my new case a few times over the past few days and it's not really a big deal for me.
    05-12-2011 09:37 AM
    I would go with the Commuter if I ever bought one again. I had a Defender and its just too darn bulky. Takes away from the slender, sexiness of the device.
    05-16-2011 09:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD