This is just an FYI. I got my defender case from Otterbox yesterday for my Verizon iPhone. I waited on the fix because I figured I would rather have the case professionally molded instead of me hacking at it to get it to fit. To my surprise, I can clearly see where they took a dremel and notched off just a hair below the silent switch to make it fit.

Now, I am happy with my case, but I am just letting you DIY'ers know you can fix it just as easy with a dremel to make it work. No sense in getting a new case if you already have a defender. As far as what I can see, this is how they are "making" the case universal
    Last edited by rustyjar79; 02-22-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    02-13-2011 03:54 PM
    Wow thats ridiculous. You think if you pay $50 for a case you wouldnt be able to tell that they did that. thinking about buying the commuter and just see if it works and it not just do it myself
    02-13-2011 04:26 PM
    Wow thats ridiculous. You think if you pay $50 for a case you wouldnt be able to tell that they did that. thinking about buying the commuter and just see if it works and it not just do it myself
    As far as for the commuter, reflex and impact, I think they are actually going to remold them, but I knew you could shave a bit off the defender, I didn't think that is how they would do it. I am going to upload a pic in a bit.
    02-13-2011 04:28 PM
    Here is a picture of the fix. The tape is there to hold the port cover back. Man, a third hand could have come in handy! haha
    02-13-2011 04:35 PM
    Well rusty since you have yours already. How do you like the case? Is it too bulky? Mine is supposed to be delivered Monday to go along with my Case Mate POP. I had one on my Ipod Touch and loved it. I guess my biggest question is....will it take away from my gorgeous retina display?? Thanks for the advice in advance.
    02-13-2011 04:55 PM
    I can honestly say it protects very well. It is no different than the otter box for the AT&T iPhone, other than the "fixed" mute switch opening As far as the bulk, I don't mind it because I am rough, but no matter what case you get, there are always trade offs.

As far as the retina screen goes, it doesn't take away from the beauty and clarity of it, but you notice a slight difference compared to a naked iPhone 4.
    02-13-2011 06:41 PM
    It takes a lot away from the retina screen..I bought a defender case at best buy and used it for 2 days...the biggest annoyance is dust accumulates easily on the screen protector and underneath the screen protector...then you need to disassemble, clean, reassemble, only to see a couple of specks of dust soon after!

i returned mine today and went back to my splash cruiser case with no screen protector...the difference in the screen (defender vs without) is like night and day
    02-13-2011 09:48 PM
    Well now thats two different experiences. I guess YMMV depending on preference but I will try mine when it comes in and if its that bad I will send it back. Although I might keep it for the times I need the protection when less retina may equal an intact screen...
    02-13-2011 10:20 PM
    Well rusty since you have yours already. How do you like the case? Is it too bulky? Mine is supposed to be delivered Monday to go along with my Case Mate POP. I had one on my Ipod Touch and loved it. I guess my biggest question is....will it take away from my gorgeous retina display?? Thanks for the advice in advance.
    I had it and it added a lot of bulk so I took it off it made the iphone huge which I didnt like
    02-13-2011 10:41 PM
    Interesting. Did you order direct from otterbox?
    02-13-2011 11:23 PM
    If you were asking me thunderkeys, yes I did.
    02-14-2011 08:08 AM
    Interesting. Did you order direct from otterbox?
    He did order straight from otterbox (rustyjar is my brother) and I can tell you it dosent take that much away from the screen, I just did a side by side comparison as mine is "naked" and the screens were very similar. now I was just looking at the lock screen, but there wasnt that big of a difference.
    02-14-2011 01:28 PM
    I got my Otterbox today, and I simply LOVE IT. I am a Defender case proponent for life now.
    02-14-2011 09:38 PM
    I received my two Verizon IPhone 4 Otterbox Defender cases directly from Otterbox today and they are no different than the AT&T cases. You can clearly see just as posted above that they have notched away at the case slightly to make it fit the Verizon version Iphone 4. My husband was angry at this and so was I because we aren't paying $100 (for 2)for some bs like that. Also on Otterbox's website they did have a pic showing the mute button in the middle as if they modified the case for the Verizon version but have since taken it down...
    My husband called Otterbox about this and they said they would send us two new replacements, I guess we'll see if they are the "real" modified version or the same dremeled out crap.
    02-15-2011 08:09 PM
    Well I just got done ordering a Ballistic HC case. I have been a fan of Otterbox for a while, but their response to me was that they do not recommend any altering of their cases, when they clearly dremeled the case for me. I am going to try the Ballistic case. I have heard some good things, so I will try and post a review with some pics when I get it in. As mustanggirl05 stated above, The switch should have been in the middle as shown on otterbox's site, I am not going to say Otterbox is bad, however, this fix of theirs is definitely a stinker.
    02-15-2011 08:41 PM
    Oh, and if any of you decide to check out Ballitic, the HC is supposedly the only military grade spec case out there. I would say it is just as bulky as the otterbox, but hey, when you are basically carrying around a piece of glass, I would say the more protection the better--I play rough
    02-15-2011 08:44 PM
    I received my Otterbox today & agree the opening for the silent switch is not centered over the switch. Kind of a bummer. I don't love this case as much as the one I had on my BB, but it is very good. I still have a great retina screen experience... Yes I can tell I have a screen protector but not munch
    02-15-2011 10:38 PM
    I have two on order. I'll reserve judgement until I see them. Otterbox support has always done me right so I am sure they will in this case as well for those who are upset by the modified case/uncentered mute switch.
    02-15-2011 11:14 PM
    I must be in the minority, but I bought mine knowing it was for AT&T. It hasn't been dremeled out, nor is the mute switch centered, but I can easily slide it back and forth. And for 26.97 on Amazon, it's money well spent. One think I can't figure out, is how to use the stand as a kickstand. There were no instructions.
    Last edited by Icyhot1966; 02-16-2011 at 01:41 PM.
    02-16-2011 01:28 PM
    I just received my Otterbox Defender, and the first thing i did was look and see the dremel marks. I'm not happy about it either. I will put it on tonight and see if the off center switch bothers me. If it does I will be calling them tomorrow. I would hope they are doing a redesign to enlarge the opening to fit the Verizon Iphone better than what they are doing now.
    02-16-2011 01:37 PM
    I got our Defenders today. The dremel "marks" don't bother me at all, they are not that noticible unless you are looking for them. The mute switch very close to the edge, but honestly it doesn't bother me. With SBSettings and MyProfiles I rarely use the hardware mute switch anyways.

I can see why some people might not like it the mod. Otterbox customer service has always been stellar in my experience. If it bothers you call/email/tweet them and I'm sure they'll make it right.
    With my 3GS cases I got numerous silicon sleeves/replacement cases, all free of charge, due to what other manufacturers would consider normal wear & tear. There's something to be said for a company with warranty policies like that.
    02-16-2011 03:13 PM
    Whats is a dremel mark that you guys are referring to? Im just curious what that is
    02-16-2011 03:15 PM
    A dremel is a rotary tool that you can use to shave away material. It can leave very tiny marks or slightly uneven edges because generally a human is wielding it and is not perfect.
    02-16-2011 03:55 PM
    I have been using an Otterbox since I had the 3G and have very happy with their products. Their customer service has been very good. With that said, I am now trying out the Griffin Survivor case. It looks a little similar to the Defender for the 3G, but it feels a little sturdier than the Otterbox. I have an AT&T iPhone and the only place I was able to find the case was in a Verizon store or order it online.
    02-16-2011 06:46 PM
    I must be in the minority, but I bought mine knowing it was for AT&T. It hasn't been dremeled out, nor is the mute switch centered, but I can easily slide it back and forth. And for 26.97 on Amazon, it's money well spent. One think I can't figure out, is how to use the stand as a kickstand. There were no instructions.
    Icyhot, the case I ordered was for Verizon/ AT&T and specifically said it was universal. I have had the AT&T version before. My problem is they didn't take the time to remold it. They hit it with a dremel and threw it out there. I could have done the same with the case I had from AT&T and saved $50. Their response to me was they don't suggest modifying the case in any way, because it voids the warranty. So I sending it back and going to try a ballistic HC, which was clearly redesigned and covers ALL ports and openings. I will post a review when I get it.
    02-16-2011 09:12 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD