Otterbox defender for Verizon iPhone

thunderkeys

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I got our Defenders today. The dremel "marks" don't bother me at all, they are not that noticible unless you are looking for them. The mute switch very close to the edge, but honestly it doesn't bother me. With SBSettings and MyProfiles I rarely use the hardware mute switch anyways.

I can see why some people might not like it the mod. Otterbox customer service has always been stellar in my experience. If it bothers you call/email/tweet them and I'm sure they'll make it right.
With my 3GS cases I got numerous silicon sleeves/replacement cases, all free of charge, due to what other manufacturers would consider normal wear & tear. There's something to be said for a company with warranty policies like that.

thunderkeys

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
A dremel is a rotary tool that you can use to shave away material. It can leave very tiny marks or slightly uneven edges because generally a human is wielding it and is not perfect. :)

chemtc73

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I have been using an Otterbox since I had the 3G and have very happy with their products. Their customer service has been very good. With that said, I am now trying out the Griffin Survivor case. It looks a little similar to the Defender for the 3G, but it feels a little sturdier than the Otterbox. I have an AT&T iPhone and the only place I was able to find the case was in a Verizon store or order it online.

rustyjar79

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I must be in the minority, but I bought mine knowing it was for AT&T. It hasn't been dremeled out, nor is the mute switch centered, but I can easily slide it back and forth. And for 26.97 on Amazon, it's money well spent. One think I can't figure out, is how to use the stand as a kickstand. There were no instructions.

Icyhot, the case I ordered was for Verizon/ AT&T and specifically said it was universal. I have had the AT&T version before. My problem is they didn't take the time to remold it. They hit it with a dremel and threw it out there. I could have done the same with the case I had from AT&T and saved $50. Their response to me was they don't suggest modifying the case in any way, because it voids the warranty. So I sending it back and going to try a ballistic HC, which was clearly redesigned and covers ALL ports and openings. I will post a review when I get it.

Dan@

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, I got mine on my phone that i received today. I'm not happy at all that they didn't redesign the case to fit the Verizon Iphone. Seems like they just made a quick fix so they can have a case available as soon as the iphone was available for Verizon. The mute switch barely clears the opening even with the dremeled portion to open it up. I plan on calling them tomorrow to find out if they are planning a redesign and remold in the future.

The thing I'm more upset about is the screen of my Otterbox Defender has a scratch (about 1/16" of an inch long) on the inside of the screen that is very noticeable.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Icyhot, the case I ordered was for Verizon/ AT&T and specifically said it was universal. I have had the AT&T version before. My problem is they didn't take the time to remold it. They hit it with a dremel and threw it out there. I could have done the same with the case I had from AT&T and saved $50. Their response to me was they don't suggest modifying the case in any way, because it voids the warranty. So I sending it back and going to try a ballistic HC, which was clearly redesigned and covers ALL ports and openings. I will post a review when I get it.

I don't blame you for being upset. I guess I knew beforehand it would fit precisely, and mine isn't modified since I got it from Best Buy and plainly stated it was for AT&T. So, all in all, I am satisfied.

rustyjar79

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I don't blame you for being upset. I guess I knew beforehand it would fit precisely, and mine isn't modified since I got it from Best Buy and plainly stated it was for AT&T. So, all in all, I am satisfied.

Well I am glad it is working for ya. Sometimes I wish emotions showed through text. I am really not mad, I was just surprised to see a companies answer to a case that needed redesigned was to use a dermal. Not everyone is going to feel the same about it. I just thought I would share. So far the feeling about the fix is about 50/50

rustyjar79

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Ballistic HC review

Well,

The Ballistic HC case arrived today, and I have to say, so far I am impressed. I have only used it for a few hours, but I really like it. For those of you out there who are picture book kinda people like me, I have put all pictures at the end of my review (and one post after cause I had too many pics). Enjoy! This is my first review

DESIGN:

The case is meant to protect, therefore, it is going to be bulky in order to achieve protection from numerous elements. The case has a 5 layer design, which includes the following: rubber inner lining; polycarbonate shell; rubber molder exterior to the plastic shell; Clear plastic guard over the screen, camera and proximity sensor; rubber jacket with built in port covers. The case has a small black micro mesh over ALL speaker and microphone openings, which is nice to keep out any dust. When I took my Otterbox apart to send back, there was a piece of table salt that had slipped behind the case through one of the openings. Also included is a holster, which can be ran over by a car and survive! (go to ballistics site and watch the video--pretty impressive. So to put the design in a few words, it takes on a sophisticated industrial look and feel to protect the ultimate smartphone from most of the elements.

EASE OF INSTILLATION & USE:

To install the case was not any harder than putting on any two piece plastic case. Clean your iPhone, place it in the shell, and snap crackle & pop and you are done! Now the nice things is you can get away with using the case with just the plastic molded case on, or if you want the ultimate protection, you cans throw on the rubber jacket, which has covers for any ports (dock connector, headphone jack & silent switch) As far as using the case, it isn't bad or that much more bulky than the Otterbox. The built in screen protector is noticeable that it is there, but doesn't take away from the overall beauty of the Retina display. The Belt clip is thinner in profile than the Otterbox and holds the phone securely, while allowing for a quick dismount. The port cover open fairly easily, and seem to stay in place nicely.

CONCLUSION & PERSONAL OPINION:

Well to sum it all up, this thing is bad to the bone. It will definitely protect against minimal precipitation occurrences, dust in any form, drop from various heights (within reason ;)) & the kids! I threw in personal opinion on this section, because while I may find it a little annoying, some may not. The thing that bugs me a bit is the outer jackets tends to want to pop out of place at the top when lightly brushed or grabbed. Nothing to major to get past, but definitely there. My verdict is, that this case is a keeper!

Last edited:

rustyjar79

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Nevermind! I just put a pre-order in for a LifeProof case It may cost $20 more, but it has EVERYTHING I have been looking for. slim design, waterproof, and covers all ports! huzzah!

Dan@

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Nevermind! I just put a pre-order in for a LifeProof case It may cost $20 more, but it has EVERYTHING I have been looking for. slim design, waterproof, and covers all ports! huzzah!

The Lifeproof looks interesting. Wish they had more infor and photos on the site. I have the Otterbox Defender now and like it, but would like something a little less bulky. The Lifeproof my fit the fill, will wait until some get it on their phones and see.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
The Lifeproof looks interesting. Wish they had more infor and photos on the site. I have the Otterbox Defender now and like it, but would like something a little less bulky. The Lifeproof my fit the fill, will wait until some get it on their phones and see.

You may look at the OtterBox Commuter. That is what all my families (5) iP4 stay in. More sleek than the Defender but still protects against every day drops.

(ie.) My daughter is coming down the stairs the other day when she drops her iP4. :eek: It hits every wooden stair tread coming down and lands on the Hardwood floor with a "SPLAT". She picks it up and has no damage at all.

Thank You Otterbox!!!

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I just bought (for $20) a defender case for my verizon iphone 4, and love it. I did modify it with a nail clipper file to get the mute switch to work perfectly with no rubbing, with about 3 minutes of work. It looks a lot better than the pictures posted here that were drememled out by Otterbox.

Has anyone used this case and taken it off after a few weeks or months to see if there is any damage to the phone as far as scratches? It seems like there's a chance for this to happen. I do have a Verizon screen protector on the phone, as well as the installed screen protector on the otterbox case, but I just don't know if the back or sides may get little scratches.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73