My iPhone 4 Car Set Up

Murphy5156

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
I've had every iteration of iPod/iPhone to date, and have always searched for the best way to listen to them in my car. I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima and while I've have had various degrees of success over the years, I finally have what I consider (for me, anyway) the perfect setup.

Below is a picture of my current setup:
Apple iPhone 4 w/Bumper case
ProClip iPhone holder
JVC KD-HDR60 head unit
iStubz 22.0 cm sync cable

Music sounds GREAT through this head unit (got it on sale for only $149 at Best Buy) and the stock speakers. I love the front USB port and it charges the phone while simultaneously providing playback. You can control the audio either through the head unit or through the iPhone/iPod itself.

Everyone knows that 98% of the after market cables out there won't fit the Bumper case, but I'm happy to say the iStubz from CableJive fit perfectly and the short size cuts down on clutter. Overall I couldn't be happier with this new set up (although I do need to replace the trim kit because my old one has some screw holes in it). Anyway, just thought my setup might help others do the same in their cars.

DSCN0798.jpg

Last edited:

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Nice setup. I recently purchased a Sony Bluetooth radio at best buy so I could stream audio to the stereo without any chords cluttering the dash. That short chord does the trick just as well, though.

seifer333

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
is it a special head unit that can read from the usb port? I have a head unit that has a usb port, but I think it only plays mp3 from a usb stick.

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
is it a special head unit that can read from the usb port? I have a head unit that has a usb port, but I think it only plays mp3 from a usb stick.

I believe that the unit in the picture is one of those "iPod ready" stereos. It was built to play well with the iPod/iPhone.

Murphy5156

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
That's correct, it has a "Made for iPod" and "Works with iPhone" logo on the box. I made sure of that before I bought the head unit as I had read of many folks having trouble getting their iPods/Iphones to work with other units. Still works great after upgrading to iOS 4.1 as well.

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Not bad but I really like the idea of having a blue-tooth car radio.

I like mine. I notice no sound degradation when streaming music. All I do is get in the car and turn it on and the phone automatically links with the stereo and away I go. Don't even have to touch my phone to make or take calls, either.

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Lol. I came on here to tell OP that engadget stole his picture of his car set up, but his screen name tells me that there is a good chance that OP and the article's author are one in the same:

Did iOS 4.1 introduce in-car USB playback problems for you? -- Engadget

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw at the end of the article that they credit OP for the picture anyway. Still, its a wierd "small world" moment for me.

Last edited:

Murphy5156

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
That's funny that Engadget would use my admittedly low quality photo for their article, but I must admit I'm just a wee bit flattered at the same time. :)

I know a lot of purists would be happier using the BlueTooth versus a USB cable, but I like the fact that this setup also keeps the phone charged up. I will admit to also feeling like there's no way the sound would be as good over BT as it would be over a direct connection, but I've never tried the BT method so I have no real experience to back that up.

ashykat

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Are you able to answer calls while your phone is plugged in? Does it play the phone call audio through your speakers or do you need to disconnect it?

Slyfi

TiPb Forum Staff
Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
awesome set up currently im using the jabre blutetooth to fm transmitter works well for the most part there is a little back ground fuzz but if you crank the volume a little you dont even notce it with the built in mic i can answer calls and such and it has a built in speaker so i can use it has a portable speaker phone or music player

Jabra CRUISER - Drive with clear sound

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I was playing mine over BT with Ford sync but now I just have my external HD hooked up to the USB 2 port running to glove box. Now I just use the BT to make calls with iPhone 4

Murphy5156

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Ashykat,

If the phone rings while plugged into my car stereo, the music stops and the phone does ring through the car speakers, but the actual phone call does not. So, either I would have to be on my BT headset to take the call, put it on speaker phone, or simply disconnect the usb cable and take the phone out of the cradle (this is the option I use most as thankfully I don't get many calls). :)

MetsFan_VI

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy sells an iSimple kit that is like an FM transmitter but wired into your car stereo. It also charges. Not perfect audio quality but if you have an OEM car stereo without an Aux input, it works pretty well. Cost is around $130.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lakeland Ghost