Ive been a big supporter of Otterbox for over a year now. I had one on my 3GS (& still do.) And it has saved my life on multiple occasions. When Best Buy received them today, I immediately grabbed one off the shelf and bought it. Looking at it, I realized it added some great features, but it also seemed to retrograde other features.

Some of the cool added feature via the Otterbox website:

- Coating on outside of touch screen membrane resists finger prints
    - Fine interior texturing of touch screen membrane eliminates static, bubbles and oil slick appearance
    - Inner felt liner cushions your device
    - Textured silicone exterior for improved grip
    - Included holster holds device face in or face out
    - Completely re-designed holster for stronger hold on device
    - Holster doubles as a stand for hands-free media viewing
    - Case accommodates most 3rd party chargers

While these feature are great, I feel that this version of the Otterbox has retrograded compared to the defender case for the iPhone 3G & 3GS.

The Protection

One of my favorite things about the Otterbox defender 3GS case, is the fact that it literally seals in the iPhone into the case and helps prevent liquid damage (Ive dropped it in a puddle, spilled diet coke on it, etc.) The only place it isnt sealed off is at the speakers. However, there are foam rings around the ports to prevent debris from getting into the inside of the case.

On the new iPhone4 case, this isnt the case, actually far from it. Is still has the plastic screen protector & the Apple-logo plastic protector. However above the screen protector, are 3 holes for the speaker, the sensors, & the front-facing camera. The sensors & the camera have plastic protectors covering them, but the speaker is not? I dont understand this at all. Why even have the covers on the nearby sensors?
    On the iPhone 3GS case, it has a type of tough paper over it that allows sound to get though, but keeps splashes from getting in. Itd make sense if they added the foam ring around it, but theres nothing.

Looking at the bottom of the case, you can see where the speakers go, but on this case, they do not have foam rings around them. To make things worse, when removing the Sync/power port cover, youll notice that this is one large hole in the bottom of the case. I believe they did this in order to allow for 3rd party adapters to fit, but to me, this is a big no no in protecting my iPhone4

On the back of the iPhone4, both the holes in the case for the light & the camera do not have protective plastic covers. I can understand this for the light as it could cause a reflection back into the lens of the camera, but the camera? Come on! Every camera I have has some sort of protective lens on it.

Lastly, but not least, on the top of the case, where the headphone jack is, there is a silicone plug, but it has a hole it WTH? Seriously? WHY EVEN PUT A RUBBER PLUG HERE?!? I realize the hole is for the noise canceling feature on the iPhone4. I really feel like Id be funneling dirt & debris into the inside of the case. I mean, I could just pop open the silicon plug to use that feature if I wanted to

One of the reasons I initially got the Otterbox was because I wanted to keep from splashing water in the headphone jack (I used to use a trimmed down foam ear plug), but now it seems they have somewhat done away with it, this is super frustrating to me!

On the inside of the case, namely the back side, it is lined in a felt-like fabric to help protect the back of your iPhone4 from being scratched (honestly I recommend adding a ZAGG protector to all the sides of your iPhone, except the screen (mainly because I dont like the feel of it on my screen when its not in its birthday suite.) kingofheart4711 pointed out that his iPhone4 did not fit in the case with it on - it peeled off, so maybe this isn't a good idea. Actually this makes everything worse... I can't seal in my iPhone, nor can I protect it thoroughly.

Holster

The holster has greatly improved in this model (thank God for something improving) Also they redesigned it so that you can natively have the case in the horizontal position, unlike the 3GS case, which sits natively in the vertically position. Also it seems that it has a really good grip on the iPhone4 whether it is facing inwards (my preference) or outwards.

Just like in the other iPhone cases, the holster can also act as a stand, just much better so in the horizontal position (much sturdier on its side in this version)

Some people might remember when the iPhone 3GS Otterbox case first came out, it created a bubble/oil-like look on the screen unless you added an anti-glare screen protector to your iPhone, well this seems to have been taken care of in this version. (Yay!)

Weight

I had heard that the case was sleeker & lightweight compared to its predecessor. This is true, but I think they have greatly sacrificed some of the protection for the weight on the case. The silicone sleeve is dramatically thinner around the ports, however around the rest of the case it is the same as before. The thicker port covers were nice as the sealed easily even if they were partly pushed in. On this new case, the silicon is much thinner and quite hard to push into the ports for a good seal.

The Feel

Overall the feel of the silicone sleeve has been textured for better grip. I really like this. Its not too much that it sticks to the inside of your pants pocket, but it feels good in your hand and gives me a little more confidence that I wont accidentally chunk it across the room.

Overall

Even with all of these issues, Im still slightly confident that this case can protect the iPhone4 from the occasional drop, for the clumsy, people that have need for the protection film sets, construction sites,fire fighters, etc, this still seems to be the best case for you. I just hope they make another more protective case. Mind you I paid less than the retail cost (which is $49.95) for this case & Im bummed about it. Thats not good. Not good at all.

2.5/5 stars

I remember checking their site a few months ago to see if they were going to have a case for the iPhone4 and a Coming Soon note stated something like Great cases take time to design & create- this is true. I just wish they had taken longer I would have expected these features on the commuter case series, but the defender? Not at all, Im not impressed. I literally looked back at the packaging to make sure I didnt pick up the wrong case in my haste. Im rather bummed about this case. I could be proven wrong. I guess time will tell.
    Last edited by msbaylor; 08-13-2010 at 09:16 PM.
    08-12-2010 08:42 PM
    I got mine yesterday. I agree with your review. One more thing to add to it btw. In your review you recommend adding a Zagg invisible skin WELL! It was so tight inside the otterbox that mine DIDNT fit! The first layer is a very hard plastic so there was no room for it to "give way" and kept peeling my Zagg off when I tried to insert my iphone so I ended up having to remove the entire skin just to get my iPhone to fit in the case. VERY big no no. I think im going to end up selling this case as I am not too impressed. The protection is good as far as scratches, drops, etc. but the look of it, the bulk, and the fact that you have to ditch your $20 zagg to fit the DAMN thing!!!........not worth it.

I also paid less ($40 shipped) not much a small discount but not bad. Anyways, I really loved the commuter series oon my Blackberry 9700 so I think im gonna check it out for the iP4 when it comes around.
    Last edited by kingofheart4711; 08-13-2010 at 04:07 PM.
    08-13-2010 04:05 PM
    Just got mine from Best Buy today as well. I waited and didn't order so I could try and return if necessary. I do love the built in screen protector but overall I am 98% sure I will return this. I won a Case-Mate Tough Case and really like it better.
    08-13-2010 04:32 PM
    I got mine yesterday. I agree with your review. One more thing to add to it btw. In your review you recommend adding a Zagg invisible skin WELL! It was so tight inside the otterbox that mine DIDNT fit! The first layer is a very hard plastic so there was no room for it to "give way" and kept peeling my Zagg off when I tried to insert my iphone so I ended up having to remove the entire skin just to get my iPhone to fit in the case. VERY big no no. I think im going to end up selling this case as I am not too impressed.
    Duly noted

The protection is good as far as scratches, drops, etc. but the look of it, the bulk, and the fact that you have to ditch your $20 zagg to fit the DAMN thing!!!........not worth it.
    I disagree regarding the bulk. Let's face it, adding protection to a phone will create bulk. It's like shipping a gift, you have to protect it while it travels. The 3GS case is bulky, but its a great trade-off for the protection. I would recommend people wanting less bulk to go with the Commuter series & not have as much protection. That's just my 2 cents.
    08-13-2010 09:16 PM
    Wow, didn't expect these negative reviews after hearing a majority of positives from friends.

I think I'll be passing on this.
    08-13-2010 09:19 PM
    Had an Otterbox Defender on my 3GS and was very, very happy with it. Just got the new model for the Iphone4 and am just as happy.
    It is a bit bulky but less so than the Iphone 3GS model.
    As far as the criticism by some others by its lesser water protection on the new model, the older one also leaked like a sieve if submerged. I do not intend to expose the new one to water hazards. When I go kayaking the phone is in a waterproof bag.
    The Defender case is a delight.
    08-16-2010 10:37 PM
    I still ove my OBD for my 3G!! I am a little disappointed in that the Camera and Speakers/Mic are not covered like the 3G version. I understand about the flash though. that would not be good to have a flash covered. Even though I like the Speaker/Mic being covered, it does seem to "soften" the ring loudness of the phone. IMO. My 3G is hard to hear ring. It is not a big deal for me because I use a BT earpeice about 95% of the time.

I love Otterbox products. I may or may not get the Defender when I upgrade. I will at least get the Commuter, but I will probably end up with the Defender when I upgrade.
    08-17-2010 10:18 PM
    I just posted in another thread that I got my case yesterday and this thing attracts dirt (the textured backing holds it in too) and shows my fingerprints (on the rubber itself). I have dry skin and now I see how dry they are as it's all over my Defender case!

I like the phone is protected and I love the screen protector but this dirt thing is driving me nuts!
    08-19-2010 09:44 AM
    Ok I have to add this: Otterbox claims the rubberized case Is antennae approved. BULL!! I am able to make my signal go down by covering the magic spot!
    08-19-2010 10:03 AM
    My silicone skin doesn't seal tightly on all four corners... it's a little loose around the power button corner. I've already put on a replacement cover from Otter Box and it's the same. The case works for protection against drops. I'm not a fan of the flap covering the dock connector. Sometimes it's hard to open it without fingernails. I don't like the belt clip because the rotating clip is centered instead of near the top like the 3G/3GS Defender. It makes it hang weird. Plus I never mistakenly unclipped my 3G, but I have pressed the release tab by mistake on several occasions. All in all, I like the case. It's easier to use the touchscreen near the edges on the iPhone 4 Defender than it was on the 3G/3GS Defender.
    08-19-2010 10:54 AM
    I actually first bought the Commuter case and didnt really like it at all, the skin was way loose around the top of the phone.....so I returned that and now got the Defender and this case is WAY better, definitely worth the extra $15 compared to the Commuters price. Ive read so many posts about different cases and it just looks like no matter what case I see people ranting about, they always seem to find a problem with it...includng myself LOL.
    09-20-2010 01:10 PM
    So I'm on ny 2nd otter box rubber outside. The new one is loose too and I never ever take it off. The battery flap never stays put. It is loose at the corners of the phone.

Its a pos
    09-26-2010 12:03 AM
    Things, including your truly, were being tossed about the cabin of the boat in swells up to nine feet every 4 seconds. It was then that I thought I maybe should have the new iPhone in a decent protective case for these situations. The best? Otterbox Defender.

I find it to be the kind of overkill I like. It makes the sleek, thin Beverly Hills model iPhone into a mammoth, rugged, thick comms device. Protection all around, sticky silicone and hard ABS plastic. It really protects, like a hi-tech football helmet. GRRRRR!!! It snaps into its belt holster authoritatively, like a magazine into a 1911. Bam! Red Team Go! Blue Team Go! I like belt holsters a lot of the time.

Today I took it out of the case to clean it all up after a rainy day at the beach. Not to worry. The phone sighed in relief, like a warrior unbuckling armor. It again made me smile with how thin and svelte it is.

It must be an Amazon.

Last edited by Exechobo; 09-26-2010 at 12:36 AM. Reason: to subscribe to thread
    09-26-2010 12:29 AM
    Hmm...I have a red OtterBox defender and I love it. It is just the right size and texture, and I truly feel like the phone is very well protected while in it. I like the texture of this one a LOT better than what was offered for the 3G and 3GS.
    10-01-2010 04:44 PM
    Yes otterbox really saved the mobile life. I won one iPhone 4 cases from one competition . It is bumper case. It also protects my iPhone 4.
    Thank you.
    Source :- Prepaymania.co.uk
    12-21-2010 01:34 AM
    I very recently upgraded from my old Blackberry to an iPhone 4 and bought the Otterbox Defender. I think it's a great case overall, but I found two things somewhat disappointing: first, it's not compatible with charging docks - at least none that I've found and, secondly (a very minor issue) it's startling just how much the case obscures the elegance of the phone itself. That said, it's a worthwhile trade-off for peace of mind.

BTW - as to the charging dock issue, I got around that by using a cable. Not as attractive, but (like my Otterbox) functional.
    01-04-2011 07:05 PM
    they are so bulky and cant use with docks but it does keep it protected
    01-16-2011 10:22 AM
    Is actually quite bulky compare to other. If not for the protection i wouldn't had get it. Overall is pretty good.
    01-21-2011 11:55 AM
    I am using itouch 4g skin covers for my iphone because its made of silicon plus thermoplastic which made it tough for not getting scratch. Its so soft while looking at it but its very useful my iphone fall down twice till but it saved me and when people look at the skin cover they totally fall in love with it.
    10-29-2011 01:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD