refunded bumper from apple, another free case from app?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I hate it when people try and use beautifuly written words and carefully constructed sentences to try an lead a reader Into believing that because it is a large company verses a single person that it is ok to take something that does not belong to them. The issue is not the victim. The issue is the person trying to cheat the system, once one heads down this path it gets easier to continue to justify this type of behavior and soon, before you realize it, you are doing things that you yourself have vowed never to do. Being honest has nothing to do with the people around you. It is about how you feel about yourself. I asked a wise man once "how does one get self esteem?" his answer confused me until I finally grew up a bit. His answer was "esteemable people do esteemable things"

There is black and white there is right and wrong. The only thing you need a different point of view for is to try and rationalize said behavior.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I hate it when people try and use beautifuly written words and carefully constructed sentences to try an lead a reader Into believing that because it is a large company verses a single person that it is ok to take something that does not belong to them. The issue is not the victim. The issue is the person trying to cheat the system, once one heads down this path it gets easier to continue to justify this type of behavior and soon, before you realize it, you are doing things that you yourself have vowed never to do. Being honest has nothing to do with the people around you. It is about how you feel about yourself. I asked a wise man once "how does one get self esteem?" his answer confused me until I finally grew up a bit. His answer was "esteemable people do esteemable things"

There is black and white there is right and wrong. The only thing you need a different point of view for is to try and rationalize said behavior.

Word.

Despite what some people think, there ARE absolutes in this world. Nothing more can be said.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I am amazed that such a simple question can fill 7 pages. While there probably is some ethical questions on getting a refund and also getting a free case, remember that refunds are begin issued by Apple and the criteria for getting a free case is handled through Apple via there app. If Apple is allowing both I don't believe that is stealing but it's definitely debatable.

What I'm curious is how many people here are calling people thieves that also had jailbroken phone before they were technically legal? Also according to the poll on this forum 50% of the people said they were NOT experiencing the reception issue. Now if they order the free case that is to fix the reception issue are they stealing too?

Like it's been said earlier, what comes around goes around and it will be in the end where it really matters.

deviladv

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
I hate it when people try and use beautifully written words and carefully constructed sentences to try an lead a reader Into believing that because it is a large company verses a single person that it is ok to take something that does not belong to them.

I hate it when people oversimplify what someone said and put words in their mouth. I never said it was okay to take something that does not belong to them. Those words never appeared on my post.

The issue is not the victim. The issue is the person trying to cheat the system once one heads down this path it gets easier to continue to justify this type of behavior and soon, before you realize it, you are doing things that you yourself have vowed never to do. Being honest has nothing to do with the people around you. It is about how you feel about yourself. I asked a wise man once "how does one get self esteem?" his answer confused me until I finally grew up a bit. His answer was "esteemable people do esteemable things"

The whole problem with this statement is that you are putting your value judgement on other people when people value things differently. I'm just saying morality is not universal, and calling people who take advantage of this loophole thieves and accusing them of stealing is extreme.

Again, I never was trying to justify it, just trying to dial back the rhetoric. I consider this more like having people stand in line and asking everyone to take only two cookies, but having a few people take three or four, and yet still having enough cookies for everyone even though some people took too much. Yes, those people are rude, but "stealing" is an offense punishable by jail time, and this is not.

There are huge amounts of grey area in the world, nothing is black and white. It's small thinking that there is no grey area. Some issues are easier than others but there's always a grey area. There is always a need for a devils advocate point of view because the great ideas of the time, (yanno, like the iPhone) were thought up by people who think outside the box and don't think in terms of black and white.

And you miss the final point I made which I will boil down to this: What if Apple did this on purpose? Granted, it's a theory, and nothing is forcing you to get a second case, but I work in customer service, and sometimes you have to err on the side of the customer to get a good outcome. Apple is a large company and manages risk all the time. I believe Apple had some choices in how to set up the program, and saw this loophole and then said "Oh well, if we fix the loophole, we risk having some people not getting a case at all, and we can't have that, it will hurt PR."

Is it stealing if Apple intended to allow people to do this? I'm just saying... but if you don't want to dial back the rhetoric fine, it is your right to believe that.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I have much to say but will focus on the black and white issue. You told me that
I was putting words in your mouth. I dont think i did, but that is how you see it. *I say, you did exactly the same to me. I said there is black and white. I never said there wasn't grey areas. Of course there are grey areas! But there are also black and white issues. And taking three cookies when only allowed two is a black and white issue. It is wrong. End of story. Now would I do it
Given the right circumstances? Maybe. But that doesn't
Make It any less wrong.*

I do not use the law as my moral compass. The law is flawed beyond repair. I TRY to live by a higher standard. One that was taught me by my father and grandparents and respected elders in my life. How is one to know that this is wrong if everyone keeps saying that it is sometimes ok if you look at it from this point view. This type of thinking, the kind that lacks real sense of right and wrong, that does more damage than good IMO.*

TampaDude

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
So what if you get an extra bumper or case for free...you can only use one at a time, anyway.

BTW, it's not a $200 phone, it's a $600 phone. AT&T subsidizes the other $400 when you renew your contract. Apple is gettin' paid either way, so they don't sweat it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro