Just got off the phone with Apple, told them what happened and they said "Enjoy your new case."
    07-24-2010 11:35 AM
    Thank you, jsntrenkler. I guess that puts that discussion to rest.
    07-24-2010 12:00 PM
    I'm glad to hear you guys are not unethical by accepting their unadvertised gift to you for being a loyal customer.

And as the Apple rep said, "...enjoy your new case(s)!"
    07-24-2010 12:48 PM
    why was this thread not just closed 4 pages ago?
    07-24-2010 12:53 PM
    Because if it was, you wouldn't have been able to just post that very informative and helpful contribution.

07-24-2010 12:59 PM
    I mean, where else would some people troll? No one has gotten too out of hand. We're sitting here arguing our personal differences.
    07-24-2010 01:03 PM
    Thank you, jsntrenkler. I guess that puts that discussion to rest.
    Honestly I didn't feel bad about prior to calling them, I was just curious. I can't imagine apple allowing both emails to be sent out if they did not have that intention.
    07-24-2010 01:32 PM
    I just want the Belkin Clear Micra I ordered.
    07-24-2010 02:22 PM
    People don't realize how smart Apple is and I'm sure they understand
    what's going on. I honestly think Apple knows and figure a majority
    of those who did get a bumper may have done so because of the
    antenna issue and although some, like me who got one and didn't
    have those issues they probably thought it didn't really matter or it
    was either a good gesture to either give an extra one away.
    07-24-2010 05:42 PM
    I hope a mod closes this thread after my post. Yes I know this thread is 3 days since last post, but I had to say something.

Some comments:

1) Nothing, absolutely nothing, is a black or white issue. By thinking moral issues are black or white you limit your thinking. When looking at issues you need to open your mind. Also make sure you look at it from multiple perspectives, because issues change depending on who you are.

2) This is a classic case of a "first world problem." Worrying about getting an extra free $30 case for your $200 phone and how this would affect a billion dollar company. Keep that in perspective when you tell someone that they are stealing.

3) Nobody likes to be told what is right or wrong. Of course we all have our opinions, but saying someone is stealing or is dishonest and telling them this is wrong is not the way to have a discussion of opinions. Saying "I don't believe that is an honest thing, here's why I think it's not honest, and I won't be doing that" is the most mature way of handling this. Telling someone they are stealing or dishonest and are outright wrong is less mature, particularly if that other person has what they think is a well reasoned opinion.

5) Apple is a HUGE corporation that continues to make money hand over fist. Taking advantage of a company that appears to have a loophole for someone to get two cases for free vs one is not the same thing as someone leaving their personal MAC card in the ATM and having someone come up and take their money. The impact of the latter is far bigger than the former. Apple can stand to send out a few more cases for free, whereas I'd be devastated if I lost $10,000. Besides, in both situations, dishonest people will take advantage of the situation, but there is fault to be laid at the victim, because they weren't careful enough. If the world was like it was in "The Invention of Lying" then all you would have to do is walk up to the teller and tell them how much was in your bank account. There wouldn't be any need for the card you left in the ATM machine.

6) Apple appears to be erring on the side of customer service. Apple probably doesn't care if you get a second case, because they want to guarantee everyone gets at least one. In fact they probably planned for it. In situations like this, if you are not secure enough, you might end up giving out too many cases, but if you are too secure, you could end up having glitches and marking someone as not eligible when they should be and pissing off people when you promised to give out cases to everyone. Then "Antennagate" blows up when a bunch of people come out and say they are denied these free cases by Apple and have proof they never bought one and the whole signal dropping thing doesn't go away like Apple wants it to.

But if Apple errs on the side of multiple cases, all you end up with is a bunch of weirdos commenting on the morality of asking for a second free case from Apple on some web forum talking about things other than signal issues

Apple wins, consumers win, people who like debating morality win, it's all good!
    07-27-2010 05:24 PM
    What a greedy #*@&%.

YOU GET ONE free case/bumper.

Cheating the system is not cool and screws with your karma.
    Not to mention will eventually ruin it in the future for others.
    07-27-2010 05:25 PM
    Why all this drama and beef over a cheap piece of plastic? Whats the fuss people, lets just all enjoy our iP4's
    07-27-2010 05:57 PM
    I hate it when people try and use beautifuly written words and carefully constructed sentences to try an lead a reader Into believing that because it is a large company verses a single person that it is ok to take something that does not belong to them. The issue is not the victim. The issue is the person trying to cheat the system, once one heads down this path it gets easier to continue to justify this type of behavior and soon, before you realize it, you are doing things that you yourself have vowed never to do. Being honest has nothing to do with the people around you. It is about how you feel about yourself. I asked a wise man once "how does one get self esteem?" his answer confused me until I finally grew up a bit. His answer was "esteemable people do esteemable things"

There is black and white there is right and wrong. The only thing you need a different point of view for is to try and rationalize said behavior.
    Last edited by chobbs1; 07-27-2010 at 07:27 PM.
    07-27-2010 07:04 PM
    I hate it when people try and use beautifuly written words and carefully constructed sentences to try an lead a reader Into believing that because it is a large company verses a single person that it is ok to take something that does not belong to them. The issue is not the victim. The issue is the person trying to cheat the system, once one heads down this path it gets easier to continue to justify this type of behavior and soon, before you realize it, you are doing things that you yourself have vowed never to do. Being honest has nothing to do with the people around you. It is about how you feel about yourself. I asked a wise man once "how does one get self esteem?" his answer confused me until I finally grew up a bit. His answer was "esteemable people do esteemable things"

There is black and white there is right and wrong. The only thing you need a different point of view for is to try and rationalize said behavior.
    Word.

Despite what some people think, there ARE absolutes in this world. Nothing more can be said.
    07-27-2010 08:15 PM
    Bought the case two weeks ago and was refunded end of last week. That is excellent PR from Apple
    07-27-2010 08:19 PM
    I am amazed that such a simple question can fill 7 pages. While there probably is some ethical questions on getting a refund and also getting a free case, remember that refunds are begin issued by Apple and the criteria for getting a free case is handled through Apple via there app. If Apple is allowing both I don't believe that is stealing but it's definitely debatable.

What I'm curious is how many people here are calling people thieves that also had jailbroken phone before they were technically legal? Also according to the poll on this forum 50% of the people said they were NOT experiencing the reception issue. Now if they order the free case that is to fix the reception issue are they stealing too?

Like it's been said earlier, what comes around goes around and it will be in the end where it really matters.
    07-27-2010 10:08 PM
    I hate it when people try and use beautifully written words and carefully constructed sentences to try an lead a reader Into believing that because it is a large company verses a single person that it is ok to take something that does not belong to them.
    I hate it when people oversimplify what someone said and put words in their mouth. I never said it was okay to take something that does not belong to them. Those words never appeared on my post.

The issue is not the victim. The issue is the person trying to cheat the system once one heads down this path it gets easier to continue to justify this type of behavior and soon, before you realize it, you are doing things that you yourself have vowed never to do. Being honest has nothing to do with the people around you. It is about how you feel about yourself. I asked a wise man once "how does one get self esteem?" his answer confused me until I finally grew up a bit. His answer was "esteemable people do esteemable things"
    The whole problem with this statement is that you are putting your value judgement on other people when people value things differently. I'm just saying morality is not universal, and calling people who take advantage of this loophole thieves and accusing them of stealing is extreme.

Again, I never was trying to justify it, just trying to dial back the rhetoric. I consider this more like having people stand in line and asking everyone to take only two cookies, but having a few people take three or four, and yet still having enough cookies for everyone even though some people took too much. Yes, those people are rude, but "stealing" is an offense punishable by jail time, and this is not.

There are huge amounts of grey area in the world, nothing is black and white. It's small thinking that there is no grey area. Some issues are easier than others but there's always a grey area. There is always a need for a devils advocate point of view because the great ideas of the time, (yanno, like the iPhone) were thought up by people who think outside the box and don't think in terms of black and white.

And you miss the final point I made which I will boil down to this: What if Apple did this on purpose? Granted, it's a theory, and nothing is forcing you to get a second case, but I work in customer service, and sometimes you have to err on the side of the customer to get a good outcome. Apple is a large company and manages risk all the time. I believe Apple had some choices in how to set up the program, and saw this loophole and then said "Oh well, if we fix the loophole, we risk having some people not getting a case at all, and we can't have that, it will hurt PR."

Is it stealing if Apple intended to allow people to do this? I'm just saying... but if you don't want to dial back the rhetoric fine, it is your right to believe that.
    07-27-2010 10:48 PM
    I have much to say but will focus on the black and white issue. You told me that
    I was putting words in your mouth. I dont think i did, but that is how you see it. *I say, you did exactly the same to me. I said there is black and white. I never said there wasn't grey areas. Of course there are grey areas! But there are also black and white issues. And taking three cookies when only allowed two is a black and white issue. It is wrong. End of story. Now would I do it
    Given the right circumstances? Maybe. But that doesn't
    Make It any less wrong.*

I do not use the law as my moral compass. The law is flawed beyond repair. I TRY to live by a higher standard. One that was taught me by my father and grandparents and respected elders in my life. How is one to know that this is wrong if everyone keeps saying that it is sometimes ok if you look at it from this point view. This type of thinking, the kind that lacks real sense of right and wrong, that does more damage than good IMO.*
    07-28-2010 01:44 AM
    So what if you get an extra bumper or case for free...you can only use one at a time, anyway.

BTW, it's not a $200 phone, it's a $600 phone. AT&T subsidizes the other $400 when you renew your contract. Apple is gettin' paid either way, so they don't sweat it.
    07-28-2010 06:24 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD