Bumper not compatible with 3rd party cables/chargers

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I purchased my iPhone 4 yesterday along with a black bumper at the Apple Store. I really like the bumper, but was surprised to find that the opening for the charger/data sync cable is rather small and isn't big enough for me to plug in the iPhone cables I bought on Monoprice, as well as the car charger I bought at AT&T. The plugs fit in initially but the bumper just won't let it go in far enough to lock in place. This causes a really flaky connection that connects and disconnects constantly. The only cable that works well is the one which comes with the iPhones (I believe the 3G and 3GS came with the same one).

I think if I trim the casing around the charger plug, I may be able to remove enough material for it to work.

Anybody else experiencing the same problem?

Murphy5156

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Yes, the plug from my Griffin AutoPilot won't fit either. I may try making the opening a little bigger rather than trying to make the plug itself smaller.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Apples way of trying to make $$$

Try DLO accessories. its the only one that worked with my otterbox defender besides Apple...

focus791

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've experienced the same thing with my aux out cable in my truck. I'm probably going to drill out the headphone jack hole a bit to accommodate "normal" sized jacks...

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Yes, the plug from my Griffin AutoPilot won't fit either. I may try making the opening a little bigger rather than trying to make the plug itself smaller.

Just curious if it worked or destroyed the integrity of the bumper. If it worked, I'll try it too.

KingofHeart4711

Apr 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
Yeah same here, I bought mine on launch day with my iPhone and I cant stand it this issue. I am constantly having to take the bumper on and off to charge my phone at work or in the car. The bumper is pretty cool but im afraid taking it on and off so much is degrading it a bit. Damn Apple always trying to make more money. They want everyone to order the $30 cables directly from them. AND those cables are so short. Another issue I have with them. What am I supposed to do with such a short a$$ cable?? I wish they would give everyone 6 ft cables with their devices

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I just wish they would come out with universal dock adapters that fit the phone with a bumper on it. Even cheap ebay case makers provide them with their cases.

kmiahali

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
TiPb does sell the wall charger and the cable for $15 and it's actually legit, straight from Apple. you don't have to pay $29 for each and get it from Apple.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW