iPhone Case Dilemma

Blues003

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Why Hallo thar!

I'm going to get myself an iPhone once the next gen of iPhone comes out, and I've already been learning a bit about Jailbreaking. However, that is not my only concern. I also want to keep my iPhone protected, which is why I decided to see a ton of reviews on iPhone cases on youtube, as well as search for written ones on youtube.

I wanted a case that was protective, while not too bulky. I mean, the iPhone is aesthetically pretty appealing, and while I do realise that it's impossible to mantain its original design goodness, some cases still do a pretty good job and still keep the iPhone with some darn good looks.

On the other hand, I also wanted the docks and the headphone port to be completely covered. Having read several cases of Apple's position regarding warranty and water-damage issues, I decided that I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Since I wanted good protection, that included scratch-protection as well, which would be provided to my screen with a screen shield. That's why I'd like a case "compatible" with a screen shield install.

Finally, I'd like something practical, and which does not attract too much lint. I'm not a particular fan of pure silicone cases nor slide-ins, either. Though I do like the idea of hybrid cases.

Having all of those in mind I got to 2 final options. Switcheasy Torrent, and Otterbox Commuter.

Regarding Switcheasy Torrent, I liked the way it was engineered. The grip on the sides and the tacky silicone appear to provide good grip, while attracting little lint. They are also pretty easy to slide in and out of the pocket. What is keeping me from deciding "Switcheasy, period", is the dock covers and headphone jack covers. I'm afraid I'd lose them (Seriously. They are so god damn tiny), and as such, I'm kinda reluctant to buy something based on certain characteristics, if after some use, said characteristics won't be present. Not to mention that I hear TONS of music, so it'd be hard for me to constantly take in and out a not-too-user-friendly-to-put headphone cover.

Regarding Commuter, I actually prefer it to the TL. While it does not protect the Apple Logo - an issue that can be easily fixed with some back invisible shield -, it does protect the lower sides of the iPhone. It has a nice grip, slides easily, and seems pretty protective. I also like how all my ports are covered without easy-to-lose pieces. What I don't like too much about this case, is the fact that it says Otterbox (well, it kinda ruins it for me xD), and the fact that apparently, it attracts lint.

Well, those are my conclusions after some extensive review-watching.

I'd like to ask you guys if any of those is not too screenshield-friendly, and also, how they behave on the bezel part. I'm asking this because, when typing, I don't want to feel like the sides "flap" when I slide the finger. I want to have a solid feel from the case. I'd also like to ask you guys what are your opinions on each one of these cases, and if there's any other case that I missed, and that fills my criteria!

Thanks a lot for your time,

Blues

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I ride bareback and stick the phone in my pocket. No scratches or anything. If I were ever to get a case, it would be a leather holster with a death magnetic latch. I hate velcro. I tend to find that cases with bezels tend to break. IMHO, the switcheasy case looks better than the otterbox.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
The SwitchEast is a nice product. I almost bought it instead of my OtterBox. I love my OtterBox!! I have the Defender Series but I am in Construction so I need as much protection as I can get. I bought my wife the Commuter TL series and she really likes it. The TL gives you some color that the regular Commuter does not.

IMVH, the OtterBox Commuter will give you the most fall protection of the thinner cases. If that is not as big a concern, I would just see which case gave the most overall coverage of ports and stuff. Switcheasy or Commuter TL?

I do not think you could go wrong with either product but I love OtterBox products!:D

Blues003

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I AM fairly worried about fall-protection. I don't care about colours though, I'm getting a black one regardless of anything.

As for the TL vs Commuter, I seriously believe the Commuter is better. While it does not protect the logo - an issue easily solved with a black invisible shield -, it does protect the sides, and it APPEARS to make the silicone much more tight to the bezel, thus easening the typing.

However, since I never really held it in my hands, I'm not sure if this is exactly true.

Does the silicone "flap" when you type on your Otterbox? (not the Defender, obviously :p)

The only thing I have "against" siwtcheasy really is the likelyhood it ends up being losing the protection for the ports :\

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Does the silicone "flap" when you type on your Otterbox? (not the Defender, obviously :p)

Short answer is No. Now my wife is using the TL and while it only has the Plastic Spine on the back, the Silicon stays in place VERY well. OtterBox uses very good Silicon so that while it is still pliable, it is still VERY stable. She can obviously "peel" the Silicon back with her finger if she wants too, but has never had any trouble wit that while typing.

I would think that the regular Commuter would be even more like that since is uses more Plastic to cover the phone.

Blues003

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Sweet. And your wife uses a TL, right? It's more elegant-looking than a regular Commuter, not to mention the Otterbox sign does not bother me as much. xD

Regarding Commuter TL, what about Lint-attraction? And does it provide grip, while still being easy to slide-in-and-out of the pocket? And lastly, is it "compatible" with an invisible shield install?

Thanks you SO much for your help! :D

Blues

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
She does use the TL. The Pink one.:p:rolleyes:

It does not attract that much lint because the Silicon is "textured" a bit and it is not a "sticky" type of silicon.

It does provide good grip. The Silicon is exposed on the sides of the phone where your fingers rest.

It is easy to slip in and out of even Jeans pockets. The Plastic Back Spline not only gives protection but allows the phone to slip in and out of the pockets while not getting in the way of gripping.

Not sure about the Invisible Shield. I have never used them. I would think it would be fine even with the full body Invisible Shield. The Silicon will obviously stretch and the Plastic Spline is snug but not super tight. We just used the ant-glare screen protecters with her TL to cover the screen. No problems there. :)

Blues003

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
So far I'm getting more and more convinced for the Otterbox TL. I also discovered that the texture inside the sides of the silicone part are actually part of a reinforcing-mechanism, so that's one advantage less the Commuter had over the TL (since the Commuter had Plastic protecting the sides, but does not have this kind of texture).

My main doubt still remains to be the flapping. While I do believe it's not to evident, I did see one youtube vid or two where I could see it. I wish there was a video with someone using the case casually, just so I could get a glimpse of how it behaves on "real" situations. Anyone know of such a vid?

If this flapping issue proves to be of no importance, then I guess the Commuter TL it'll be. I searched some more and found out that the TL actually brings some screen shields too, so I'm positive it was engineered to handle invisible shields. Once concern less and one point more for the TL :p

PwettyBird

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
In my opinion some of the best cases are the candyshells,and ifrogz. I am always looking for new cases because I am addicted to collecting them and changing my cases from week to week. I guess you could say I get bored easily...lol

The worst case I have ever had was the snap on case. It was a pain to get off. I had to break mine to get take it off.

Blues003

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't really like 2-part-slide-in cases.

Does anyone know if Switcheasy Torrent, Otterbox Commuter or Commuter TL make the iPhone heat while recharging its battery?

rekamds

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Blues, if I have read your original post correctly you are researching cases for the next gen iPhone, yes? But what if the form factor changes considerably? The current cases will be of no use whatsoever

Blues003

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I am. I do realize that, though I really don't lose anything in searching slowly but surely. In case the form doesn't change, I'll be set already (I intend to leave my iPhone as imaculate as I can). If it does change, I'll have some pre-knowledge that'll help me make my new decision quicker. :p

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I have the otterbox commuter and it is very protective and extremely well made. I'd say it adds average bulk (I've had a LOT of iPhone cases). I use the commuter if I'm going out and think there might be a chance of something happening. My daily case is the incipio feather. It's pretty a super thin shell that clips onto the back and adds a soft touch matte finish feel and covers just the back. I like it because it adds really no bulk at all and lots more grip.

Also, if you are getting the next gen iPhone that is not yet revealed your case situation may change drasitcally.

Blues003

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Does it heat when you charge it? Also, I want to check: does the side-silicone flap when you move your fingers, or when you type? I know I asked this already, but meh, I want to make sure before I invest money on a case. xD

Do you guys think that design-wise the iPhone will change much?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods