Help Me Choose Between 3 Stereo Bluetooth Headphones/Headset

Disturbed932

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I've narrowed my choices down to 3. They are:

1.) Altec Lansing/Plantronics Bacbeat 906/903 (4/5 stars - CNET)

2.) Motorola S9-HD (3.5/5 stars - CNET)

3.) Jaybird Freedom 200 (3.5/5 stars - CNET)

I will be buying one of the following to use with an iPhone 3GS. Basically, I want a stereo bluetooth headset with great sound quality with good bass (obviously). I will proably use these to workout in the summer, so I assume sweat will be an issue. I'm less concerned about call quality, but want to know how good these 3 headsets fare in that department as well. Price is not an issue for me, since they're all around ~$100. Oh, and also, I want easy to use music controls on the earpieces. Also, I have a slightly larger head, so is fit an issue with any of the 3? Which of the 3 has the best? Which headset, OVERALL, is the best for performance/quality???

P.S. With regard to the S9-HD, does the iPhone support AVRCP yet for the track switching key on the earpiece? Thanks

bobowvu

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Ive not owned the Jaybird.

The Altec Lansing 903 is the best stereo bluetooth headset ive owned. I have had both the S9 and the S9HD.

Pros of the 903:
-Better sound quality. the spectrum is wider (maybe because it doesnt seed into the ear as tightly
- Better microphone (The S9 mics were nearly unusable)
- Better fit. The S9 was a little rigid, and i could only wear it for a limited time
- Has a bypass mode so that actually turns of the music and amplifies turns on an external mic so that you can hear what someone is saying to you

Cons of 903
- Does not allow music control (fwd/reverse)

That being said, the above is why I like the 903 better, either is a pretty good option. I think the S9-HD is ultimately louder (because it fits firmer in the ear) and certainly the low end of the spectrum (bass) dominates the sound (which I took as a negative, but maybe you would prefer)

I dont know for certain, but my understanding is that the ability to control the music is an iphone issue, not a heaphone issue, and that you will have to wait for apple to update their firmware to support AVRCP for it to work on any heaphones.

my 2cents

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
You might want to add these to your list... I got the Jaybird SB1's ordered, I should have them Tuesday. I will post a review then.......
DOn't get the S9-HD's. I have had 4 replacements and I don't think they are worth the money or the time.... JMHO

amorok

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Just my opinion, but I've been using a set of Rocketfish Stereo BT headphones for a few months now and they're great. They stand up to the copious amounts of sweat that pours off of me here in Mississippi on the coast, they sound great with good bass response and nice volume, and call quality is better than any of the other headsets I've owned including several Jabra products. The only problem is that the skip forward/back button doesn't work with iPhone, although my 80g classic with a BT adapter does respond to the button, so there's that. Check out this link for the Amazon product listing. I got mine on sale at Best Buy for $40.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The backbeats for sure. I have the S9 and S9hd's and the backbeats are 100% better. I use my headphones in bed sometimes to watch podcasts and with the S9's the back head piece would not let me put my head down on my pillow. The backbeats have a cable in the back and don't obstruct the ear pieces. I had the same issue in the gym with the S9's and laying down on the equipment.

As a bonus, I got the 906's so I can use the adapter with any 3.5mm jack.

NotHomer

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
The BackBeat is awesome. The battery life will get me through most of the work day, and they are light enough that I can wear them all day and almost forget they are there. When calls come in they pick up fine and I have had no complaints from the other end. (It takes a bit to get used to hearing a phone call in stereo though). After the call the music picks right back up. I thought that the BackBeat were more intuitive and more user friendly than the S9. I went with the 906 at the time because all I had was an iPod and I needed the adapter. Now no iPod, but just got an iPhone.

d.white

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
How's the Backbeat or Jabra BT3030 for watching videos?

I plan to use the headphones primarily to watch videos while on the treadmill. I'm leaning to the Jabra BT3030, but I've seen several comments online about a noticeable delay with the audio on the BT3030. Since I'm not sure how old the comments are or the expertise of the person who wrote it; I thought I'd ask the true guru's on this forum.

I'm one of those people who really notices any syncing issues between the audio and video.

If these BT headsets won't work well for video, are there others that will?

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
How's the Backbeat or Jabra BT3030 for watching videos?

I plan to use the headphones primarily to watch videos while on the treadmill. I'm leaning to the Jabra BT3030, but I've seen several comments online about a noticeable delay with the audio on the BT3030. Since I'm not sure how old the comments are or the expertise of the person who wrote it; I thought I'd ask the true guru's on this forum.

I'm one of those people who really notices any syncing issues between the audio and video.

If these BT headsets won't work well for video, are there others that will?

I will say that I love my Jabra BT3030, but, if you want to watch video, go with something else. It definitely has lag when it comes to video. I can't use it for onboard video or when watching Slingbox. There's just too much lag. Fortunately for me, I generally listen to music. But again, for video, way to much lag.

I wish there was a fix for this. I really like using my Denon, or Shure, headphones with the BT3030.

d.white

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks John. That's what I feared, but I wanted to confirm it before I spent the money on one. Since about half my use will be for video, I guess I'll have to stick with wired headphones for now.

I appreciate the info!!!

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
The Jaybirds were junk. I Returned them pretty quick and got the Backbeats. Which are great. I use them for working out, podcasts and phoen calls at work and the occasional video. Great buy. I picked them up for $45

HoneyBunny

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Does the Plantronics 855 stay put very well? I want to use this on a motorcycle and don't want it flapping around. Do you think they would be loud enough?
Do you know if you buy one used if the warranty would still work?

JNGold

Sep 12, 2006
Visit site
Just put in my order for the Backbeat 903's. I hope they perform well enough in the rigors of NYC. As I understand it, the transmitter for the headphone are located in the left ear piece. Altec Lansing recommends people to carry the device on the left hand side.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner