I just picked one up and all I can say is Thank You AT&T!!! For I and others that can't get or get poor reception at home this is WONDERFUL!!! Took 15 minutes to set up and get 5 bars in my house where I usually got no service except near a window in my home office where i would get maybe 1 - 2 bars. It cost $100 less than what Verizon has to offer. It did not opt for the $20/mo unlimited plan due to our family plan having so many roll-over minutes. If you get the unlimited plan you get a $100 rebate from AT&T so the MicroCell will only cost you $50 for the hardware. Now I can get rid of my home phone thru my cable co. and save $25 a month!! So in 6 months the MicroCell will have paid for itself!! Very Nice!!!
    09-25-2009 03:46 PM
    So, if I understand this right, the MicroCell plugs into your router, and then any calls from cell phones in your house go through the MicroCell onto the Internet; is that right?

Questions:

1) So if you don't buy the unlimited plan, minutes are taken off your normal phone plan (as if you weren't connecting thru the MicroCell), and you don't pay anything extra for the Microcell capability but for the device itself?

2) What happens if your MicroCell is in range with your neighbors' phones -- will your neighbors phone calls go onto your Internet, too?
    09-26-2009 02:40 AM
    1) Yes and No. It is not VoIP. It still goes over the AT&T network. You do use your regular minutes if you choose not to get the unlim plan.

2) No. You have to program in which Cell numbers can access the MicroCell so people cannot hack off your signal.

So far I have had no problems. Sound quality has been excellent while walking around in and out of my house while on my iPhone. It has a 5000 sf reach so I can go out back and still stay connected. I am very pleased with it!!!
    Last edited by Vic_C; 09-26-2009 at 09:30 AM.
    09-26-2009 08:51 AM
    I still find it overpriced and feel like AT&T should give them away for dirt cheap or free because its their problem that their network is crap.
    09-28-2009 11:38 AM
    When is this going to be available in other parts of the U.S.? I really need this in Wisconsin.
    09-28-2009 11:51 AM
    When is this going to be available in other parts of the U.S.? I really need this in Wisconsin.
    This is one more instance of AT&T and their games. I am afraid that this trial has reset the clock. 2009 may or may not happen now. By rolling it out in one market, AT&T has covered themselves.

However, I seriously doubt that the server can tell or cares where in the Internet the microcell is. One can fly to Charlotte, pick one up, and take it to Wisconsin.
    09-28-2009 12:34 PM
    This is one more instance of AT&T and their games. I am afraid that this trial has reset the clock. 2009 may or may not happen now. By rolling it out in one market, AT&T has covered themselves.

However, I seriously doubt that the server can tell or cares where in the Internet the microcell is. One can fly to Charlotte, pick one up, and take it to Wisconsin.
    LOL - thats a good idea
    09-28-2009 12:50 PM
    1) Yes and No. It is not VoIP. ...........
    Well, yes it really is. By definition, the part of the path between the micro-cell and the AT&T Server, is voice over Internet Protocol. As with any cell, how this cell is connected to the PSTN is "transparent" to the phone. However, all of the switching, metering, and call completion is in the public switched telephone network. To your cell phone this cell looks just like any other cell.

09-28-2009 12:53 PM
    Anyone in Charlotte want to pick one up and ship it to me...lol I will compensate you well!
    09-28-2009 01:38 PM

Actually, they CAN tell where its being used. The microcell uses an external GPS device that hooks up to it, and AT&T can control precisely where it can and cant be used. Sprint's is the same way...I used to use their version of it. This is done so that you cant take it with you and use it overseas or internationally. Theoretically, they could use it to block you from using it in certain parts of the USA as well, which they may very well be doing during the rollout. I am not sure if they ARE...just saying they very well could.

And no, the device will not work without the GPS connected and locked on...so theres no fooling it.
    09-28-2009 01:43 PM
    Actually, they CAN tell where its being used. The microcell uses an external GPS device that hooks up to it, and AT&T can control precisely where it can and cant be used. Sprint's is the same way...I used to use their version of it. This is done so that you cant take it with you and use it overseas or internationally. Theoretically, they could use it to block you from using it in certain parts of the USA as well, which they may very well be doing during the rollout. I am not sure if they ARE...just saying they very well could.

And no, the device will not work without the GPS connected and locked on...so theres no fooling it.
    God, no wonder it is taking them so long to make it work.

How say you, Vic_C? Do you have an external GPS?
    09-28-2009 01:50 PM
    Negative. It has the ability to screw an external antenna into the back of it but I am not using it. The internal antenna is picking up my location just fine. When I was hooking it up the instructions stated it could take as long as 90 minutes to lock on to a GPS signal. It took mine less than 10. I live in a very heavily wooded area and I just set it next to the window on top of my bookcase in my home office. We had the Verizon Network Extender with our Storms but it would fight over which one would connect up to it and forget about my daughters Curve....it was so unreliable. So far all 3 of our iPhones have had no problems connecting and the voice quality is outstanding!!
    09-28-2009 06:56 PM
    Ahh thats right...I forgot it has an internal GPS as well. The Sprint unit did too....and I forgot about it because I had to use the external on mine....wouldnt get a lock where I had it. The cord on the external is so damn long that I was able to run it under the carpet and up to the window.

Either way, you need the GPS lock for the unit to work.
    09-28-2009 08:46 PM
    Well, 2009 has come and gone. The microcell is still not available in most markets. It is more needed now than ever because service is so bad in so many areas. The trials have "reset the clock" and there are no new announcements. If this were rocket science, their competitors would not have been able to do it either. It would really be nice if they just kept quiet instead of making promises that they are not able to keep.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01-14-2010 at 09:42 PM.
    01-14-2010 09:37 PM
    Don't you have a monthly fee.....
    01-15-2010 10:45 AM
    Don't you have a monthly fee.....
    No, because it is just another cell. It consumes the minutes of the phone that is using it. In fact, AT&T should pay you for operating a cell on their network.

Since the product is not generally available, it is moot anyway.
    01-15-2010 11:13 AM
    No, because it is just another cell. It consumes the minutes of the phone that is using it. In fact, AT&T should pay you for operating a cell on their network.

Now that I think about it, why would one do that. If one is home, one could just use Skype or TruPhone. Perhaps not quite as seamless as the mythical magical microcell but available and cheap. Hardly anything is as good as "magical." If one merely wants to talk about it, magical wins every time.
    01-15-2010 12:26 PM

I believe you have to pay for the device at a minimum
    01-15-2010 12:37 PM
    I am waiting for this as well as I get no service in my apartment (not at&t's fault - perfect service outside the window but when shut it blocks everything). Everyday I check availability and google for updates. It is so frustrating. I really hope Verizon gets the iPhone (verizon and sprint work pretty well - must be a bandwidth frequency thing). I am giving AT&T until the iPhone comes out on Veirzon to get with it or I am gone! (Take that AT&T!!!)
    01-15-2010 12:58 PM
    I believe you have to pay for the device at a minimum
    That is my understanding. The microcell operator pays for the cell and for the Internet access. The phone owner pays according to his plan, usually "minutes."

However, since it is not offered in most markets, including mine, I know only what the media have reported. AT&T will only tell me "not available in your market." Price is what someone is willing to sell it for and someone else is willing to pay. AT&T is not willing to sell to me at any price.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01-15-2010 at 01:01 PM.
    01-15-2010 12:59 PM
    Anyone know any inside info????
    01-15-2010 12:59 PM
    I am waiting for this as well as I get no service in my apartment (not at&t's fault - perfect service outside the window but when shut it blocks everything). Everyday I check availability and google for updates. It is so frustrating. I really hope Verizon gets the iPhone (verizon and sprint work pretty well - must be a bandwidth frequency thing). I am giving AT&T until the iPhone comes out on Veirzon to get with it or I am gone! (Take that AT&T!!!)
    I find it hard to understand AT&T's silence, not to say refusal to sell. this device. Not only does it increase revenues, it is at least a Band-Aid for their notorious network service.
    01-15-2010 01:12 PM
    A recent press release claims increased availability of the microcell.

In fact, this means a few additional sparsely populated counties in the Carolinas. Hardly rates a press release. Simply calls attention to a continuing failure.
    Last edited by whmurray; 02-25-2010 at 09:56 PM.
    02-25-2010 09:51 PM
    Glad I read this forum. Became available in CT this week. No notification from AT&T. They really do not seem to want to sell this device.

I bought mine, activated and configured it. It took about an hour to report that it was working. I think that this is mostly GPS. The device is near a south facing window but not within the recommended three feet.

It is not five bars throughout the apartment; fades completely in parts of the b/r. Nonetheless iti is am improvement over the local cell.

5/12/2010

Still no notification from AT&T. Take the initiative, guys.
    Last edited by whmurray; 05-12-2010 at 09:47 AM.
    04-24-2010 12:25 PM
    I never received an email about the 3g Microcell going live in my area but I just checked my zipcode again on AT&T's Microcell availability site and found that it is now available in my area. For those of you jones-ing for some service, it might be worth another availability check instead of waiting for an email.

*EDIT* - I'm in a NW suburb of Chicago, I usually consider it a "suburb of a suburb" so if I have it out here I'm assuming places closer to Chicago have it also.

*EDIT #2* - I was finally able to get through to a store representative, he confirmed the 3g Microcell "went live Sunday" and they are in stock, ready to be purchased.
    Last edited by peanutgallery; 05-11-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added location, finally got through to the store
    05-11-2010 09:35 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD