Do you REALLY need a case for your iPhone?

Eric8199

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
OK guys, I know this has been discussed before, so please don't flame me, but I'm having a hard time finding any real definitive answers to this.

So here's the deal. I have an iPhone 3GS, and the DAY I got it, I put on an Invisishield, full body. I had an iPod Touch with one, and bought it for my iPhone before I even had it. The problem with the IS though, is that it's hard to put on perfectly, therefore there are some small edges. Not a big deal, but it drives me nuts, and occassionally picks up some lint, which bothers me even more.

So this weekend I visited an Apple Store for the first time. They had iPhones all over without cases, and I realized just how freaking awesome the phone looks without a case*? all shiny and pretty. haha. Especially the screen. The first day I had mine, I remember how much I loved that screen.

So long story short (sort of), I'm thinking about decasing and going naked. I'm so concerned about scratches though. I'm SUPER careful with my iPhone, it pretty much stays in my empty pocket, with no change, etc, and I would never drop it.

Is it too risky to go without a case? A lot of people on MacRumors seem to have nothing on the screen, but I hear on here of people getting scratches.

HELP! I hate the look of the invisishield. But I'd hate the look of a scratched screen too.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I have a case with a front flap that closes when not in use. I do not use a screen protector. My 3GS is In perfect condition. Some here are saying that the oleophobic screen is more prone to scratches. I tend to believe that as the coating is a type of plastic bonded to the glass.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Check out the Incipio Feather case. It's all the case you need, adds grip and protects the back. I've gone through lots and this is the thinnest case I've seen.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
HELP! I hate the look of the invisishield. But I'd hate the look of a scratched screen too.

I'm not saying you can't scratch the screen, but I think it's one of the strongest parts of the phone. I've never used a case on my 3G and now my 3GS and I have no scratches on the screen and the back plastic has normal wear and tear.

If I were ever to case my iPhone, I wouldn't bother with a screen cover. I hate the look of it, those air pockets, etc.

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If think that a drop on asphalt or cement with a little ding won't bother you then don't get a case.
But, if you plan on reselling it or dings bother you...get a case.

As for screen protectors, I do not like glare and I hate the new 3Gs coating so it was a must for me. But if you don't mind the coating and a possible scratch won't impact you then go commando there also.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
No case here... I find you have to be careful. Mines is more than just a phone to me. I've had many smartphones and wore a case on none. So it's totally up to you. If you feel you're clumsy (lol) get a case.

lionheartednyhc

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Do you REALLY need anything?

I use a screen protector and try not to drop it. The iphone is built well. If you are obsessed with looks and MUST have the iphone look perfect (but don't really care about the size/form of it) then get a case. If you are like me and really only care if the screen gets scratched and prefer to have its slim, pocket friendly, for factor just use a screen protector.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'll share my story with you just because this is what made me so happy I always have my Iphone in a case. I was walking to the train station on my way home. I stood on the corner waiting for the light to change so I could start crossing. So the light turns green and I step off the corner, well this cyclist thought he would speed up to try and beat the light through the intersection. He hit me HARD, he was travelling real fast and I haven't been hit like that since playing football in highschool so I mean HARD. My Iphone flew out of my pocket and skated across the pavement on the face. Luckily it was in a case with a flap that covers the the screen. After I got up and shook off the shake up I picked up the phone and I was fearing the worst. Well it was in perfect shape, not a scratch, everything worked perfectly. I will always have a case for my Iphone.

CoryJP

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Ive dropped my 3G after nearly two years with out a case... and BANG dented the corner and scratched the metal edge... if you love your phone and dont want any accidents like mine get just get at least a slider case. After paying $400 for my new 3GS i treat it like a new born baby ! lol

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I'm actually back and forth. I don't trust the 3GS, seems more scratch prone. I had my 3G bare the whole time and never had a scratch. The other day when I went from my routine iPhone switch out (for a brand new one), they put "light scratching" and when I checked, I saw the Apple symbol with scratches. I am careful in where I put the back only on a napkin and I have actually been using a case and had scratches.

I may just get a vaja case. These things own. The one I'm probably going to get is the $200 one in all white.

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I just picked up a Sena ultraslim pouch. I'm in love with it! Emphasis on the slim, it adds extremely little bulk, and slips in and out with ease.

Eric8199

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm not terribly concerned with the backside of the phone. I mean, I don't want it to get all scratched up, but a couple wear and tear type of things won't bug me. It's the screen that I'm the most concerned about, and also the part that I want uncovered the most. Haha. I know that the bare screen is much easier to keep clean than the Invisishield, and it looks so much nicer. But if I have to look through a scratch all the time, it will drive me crazy.

I may look into those powersupport screen protectors though, as those sound pretty nice. I don't want to peel off my IS either, because I don't really want to have wasted the $30. So I'll probably wind up keeping it on at least until it starts to peel around the corners.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
I go back and forth on this myself. I don't like a "nekked" one because they are too slick for me personally. I have almost dropped my new 3GS a few times w/o a case on it. I bought an Incase Slider at first, but just did not like it for some reason - maybe it was too heavy. Got a Griffin Reveal and liked the fit/size, but the case was also slick on the back and you just look at it and it will scratch - literally put micro-scratches on it with a micro-fiber cloth. I got a Feather this week and I like it. It does seem to have sharp edges that I am still getting used to, but it has a nice grip to it w/o any bulk at all.

I also do not typically use screen protectors, but I am trying the one that came with the Feather case. I really like the 3GS screen coating w/o a protector, but don't like scratches either. Still deciding.

Next up - I am thinking about a skin on the back and a pouch - one of these from BeyzaCases.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm actually back and forth. I don't trust the 3GS, seems more scratch prone. I had my 3G bare the whole time and never had a scratch. The other day when I went from my routine iPhone switch out (for a brand new one), they put "light scratching" and when I checked, I saw the Apple symbol with scratches. I am careful in where I put the back only on a napkin and I have actually been using a case and had scratches.

I may just get a vaja case. These things own. The one I'm probably going to get is the $200 one in all white.

Unless they came out with a new line all of the ones I've seen are uggggly and bulky. :-D

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I love the vaja case. It feels great in my hand and is slim and offers great protection. And the black case on the black phone looks great.

Xanderprime

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Really depends on how you want to use your iPhone. I'm finding I'm using it all the time including having it with me when mountain biking. Also with 2 young kids there is always that chance that it will be knocked around if I set it down somewhere in the house. My oldest kid uses it for games too.

Also I've heard too many horror stories of people who are careful with their iPhones yet have that 1 wrong drop that damages the phone. Even a friend of mine dropped his recently and had to get it repaired.

And consider that I want to sell this phone eventually, like I did with my 3g, so it is important to keep it as good as new.

Currently I have a vaja ivolution case and an iskin solo case. I also have an otterbox defender on the way (mainly due to the biking I do).

pugcharlie

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Power Support Air Jackets Scratch Chrome Bezel

My new iPhone GS has been marred by two PS Air Jackets: Clear and Titanium. These were purchased in my local Apple Store. One month old and the chrome bezel is all scratched-not above where that cheap little case doesn't fully cover but on the bezel where there is contact. The phone and inside of the Air Jacket cases were throughly cleaned with a damp, clean microfiber cloth as well as blown free of dust with compressed air each time the cases were removed. I've seen other negative reviews now with the same issue. I am so pissed. Apple Customer Service offered to replace the phone with a refurb with all brand new outside but no thanks. At least I know my phone has never been dropped or misused. I've had a few refurb BlackBerry Curves through Verizon and again the outside was nice but there were problems with the refurbished BlackBerrys. Apple needs to do more research before they sell an accessory they don't make but recommend to a customer when they get a brand new phone.:mad:

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711