Xpal iPower for iPhone 3G/3GS Protective Case with Rechargeable Battery - AP1200. A google search for this results in many hits describing this. I won't do that here, as this is not an advertising spam.

I got an email from a retailer advertising this. What's the opinion of folks here on such a case?

I am having battery issues with my new ipod Touch.. so this sort of device is appealing on first glance.

Any thoughts?
    07-24-2009 08:28 AM
    hmmm. not familiar with this one. i've read about the morphie juice pack, morphie juice pack air, and the incase power slider. all but the air version have good reports. but are expensive. so for a $50 alternative, it might be worth considering. have you checked cnet, youtube, tech crunch, etc., for reviews on this xpal?
    07-24-2009 10:41 AM
    I don't want to be tied down to an unattractive case just for extra power. I far prefer external batteries like the Richard Solo 1800. Use it when you need to and put it away.
    07-24-2009 10:49 AM
    the problem i have with those cases is i feel it would be like having your phone plugged in to the outlet all the time and when you consider the iphone battery lasts somewhere around 500 cycles. i think it could be damaging to the battery long term. BUT since your having battery issues already it probably would be helpful
    07-24-2009 11:04 AM
    Thanks for the useful insights. I am considering which case to get and this concept was different from the others.

On separate chargers (like Richard Solo 1800), is there one that can use AA or D size batteries as a power source? Then I can buy those in a pinch or use my rechargable AA cells lying around the house.

Thanks.
    PS: Any thoughts on the RichardSolo Custom Case that is included with the Solo 1800? My worry is that I won't find a holster or belt case that will fit the iPhone with these hardcases on it.
    Last edited by aprasad; 07-24-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    07-24-2009 12:58 PM
    I love the RS Custom Case. It was the first iPhone case I got that I really liked. No idea how it would go with a holster or belt case though...women don't tend to have belts.
    07-24-2009 01:42 PM
    One more Q, if I may..

Did you get the Richard Solo 1800 with the cable or with the straight edge connector?
    I would think that the cable connector would let me put the 1800 and the iPhone in my pocket. The edge connector pretty much forces you to place the whole long assembly on a table.

They should include both connectors with the product, IMO.
    07-24-2009 02:01 PM
    With the cable. I have a friend who feels the other one lets you talk on the phone better, but I can hold them back to back if necessary, and more often am not mobile while charging.
    07-24-2009 02:06 PM
    I don't want to be tied down to an unattractive case just for extra power. I far prefer external batteries like the Richard Solo 1800. Use it when you need to and put it away.
    @ alli, have you heard of this iPWR battery pack? iPWR for iPhone 3G, iPhone and iPod

supposedly 1/2 the size but the same punch. i posted a new forum entry asking about it.
    07-24-2009 05:55 PM
    I think that's the one @JNGold wound up with. (We'll actually be covering this topic on the next ConvertCast, so I'll be sure to ask.)

I just don't want anything that forces me to use a specific case.
    07-24-2009 06:31 PM
    I personally like the Mophie Juice Pack Air because it is not ugly. Yes, it does add a little thickness, but the simple black case looks very close to the back of the iPhone itself. Of course...we are ugly/beautiful is a matter of personal opinion...
    07-28-2009 11:28 AM
    I would also recommend that some people take a look at the Case-Mate Fuel. It's a very clever belt holster and charging unit all in one. Plus it's 2400mah! It feels great with a soft touch paint and the belt clip is of the wratchet type.

There are a couple of negatives, primary being the fact that the holster cannot be used with any other case or skin. The other is that the device faces out when in the holster.

Overall, considering the amount of power and convienience it offers, the Fuel makes a great power option.
    07-28-2009 07:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD