I am a firefighter and wondering how you use your iphone? Are you really worried about breaking it? What kind of case do you use and what good apps do you use for your job? I am currently with nextel and the slow iden networking I am debating on switching to the Iphone or the new tour on Verizon.
    07-01-2009 10:34 PM
    Firefighters are sexy.......

LOL sorry

but in all seriousness for your line of work I wouldn't recommend the iPhone and if you do get it you need a bulky case to protect it from abrasions and stuff. You could just google bulky iPhone case. :P Silicon is probably the best to protect from strong impact.
    07-01-2009 10:47 PM
    Actually you just need to get the Otterbox Defender case. It is in the TiPB store. It is made for people like you and I. I am in Construction and on jobsites all day. It provides the ultimate in protection! You can also go to Otterbox.com to check out their video there. It is the case you and I have to have to protect our investment.
    Last edited by Brickman; 07-02-2009 at 12:15 AM.
    07-02-2009 12:13 AM
    i have the seidio innocase black on it... while on duty, its in the horizontal leather holder... while off duty its in the clip case...

the otterbox is awesome, but just seems a bit bulky for my taste...
    07-02-2009 01:33 AM
    I do "other" lines off work but around am always moving and getting bumped into and just needy to have a good reliably phone. I use the Vaja I just got my iphone so we will see how it goes but I use the Limited Edition Black n' Red Vaja it is 80 bucks. A little expensive but worth it.
    07-02-2009 02:04 AM
    Actually you just need to get the Otterbox Defender case. It is in the TiPB store. It is made for people like you and I. I am in Construction and on jobsites all day. It provides the ultimate in protection! You can also go to Otterbox.com to check out their video there. It is the case you and I have to have to protect our investment.
    I'm pretty sure this is what lgreenburg uses when he is on duty (firefighter). If I was bringing my phone around those kind of situations, the Otterbox case would be mandatory.
    07-02-2009 11:50 AM
    I'm giving up my Nextel and going with a new 3GS. Currently using both until I get an otterbox. I've been through 3 i580s, which are supposed to be MilSpec / rugged, so I'm definately getting an insurance policy on my iphone. Besides my PD work I run tractors and bulldozers on the side and I think I'll have to be more conscious of how I have my phone secured or just leave it in the truck a check on it occasionally. Having used the iphone for a week I don't think I could give it up just to have a "rugged" phone.
    07-02-2009 12:02 PM
    OtterBox Defender all the way, when I'm on duty.

I reviewed it here.

The Otterbox Defender – It might just save the life of your phone | Gear Diary
    07-03-2009 07:25 AM
    Got mine last night. I wish the phone was a little tighter in the holder. The belt clip is mounted for vertical carrying when I think it'd be nice to have it in the middle to allow horizontal or vertical. Of course that would make the phone ride higher. Does give me an extra piece of mind and seems like pretty good armor but your screen is still out there when its not in the holder. Speaking of the screen I do have the bubbles but don't find them to be a big distraction. I guess bulk is based on what your use to. Its still about half the width of my i580 (folded) and I can carry it in my front pants pocket pretty easily which is where I think I'm going to be carrying it most of the time because I don't trust the security of the holder. Still think its staying in the truck when I'm operating equipment.
    07-03-2009 11:30 AM
    when im on duty (leo) i just use the same holster/case combo i use off duty. a seidio innocase II. i looked at the otterbox, but honestly it makes the phone too big and bulky. if im going into a situation where i know that my phone may get damaged, i just leave it in my car. before i had the innocase, i would just put the phone (with a griffin encase) in my breast pocket all day.
    07-03-2009 02:03 PM
    OtterBox Defender all the way, when I'm on duty.

I reviewed it here.

[ It might just save the life of your phone*|*Gear Diary[/url]
    Nice review. Thanks for the input. Is that the new Streamlight Vantage on the helmet?

Are there any apps you use for day to day duties?
    07-03-2009 08:43 PM
    I haven't brought myself to buy it yet but theoretically the log me in app would allow me to access my desktop which would allow access to our RMS allowing me to see name files, mugs, etc. on the fly. I'm also our sys admin so I could check on the server, etc. This is all theory as the reviews on the app don't look very promising.

If I was still in uniform breast pocket or hanging inside my external vest by the neck line would definitely be the way to go. But no uniforms anymore and vest only for the fun stuff. I still don't think the otterbox is that bulky, or I'm just use to older bulkier phones to begin with.
    07-04-2009 07:56 AM
    or I'm just use to older bulkier phones to begin with.
    Exactly! Did you ever carry a Treo in a belt clip?! Now that was bulk!

I guess we are so use to our iPhones being so slim that anything feels fat. Otterbox also makes another one that is just a thick Silicon sleeve that is only about $20 and is made more for just accidental drops and the such. I am looking at getting it also for those times that I do not need as much protection.
    07-04-2009 08:32 AM
    Nice review. Thanks for the input. Is that the new Streamlight Vantage on the helmet?

Are there any apps you use for day to day duties?
    Yep, that's the Streamlight on my helmet.

Have you seen the new Bullard in line leds?

Bullard TrakLight: Integrated Lighting System | Gear Diary

I use "Jot" to record voice notes on scene as well as a Livescribe Smartpen to record notes. All after the fact of course.
    07-05-2009 08:05 AM
    I second the Otterbox. I take my iPhone to work in an Otterbox, and that's the only circumstance I go to the jobsite. I also take it on hikes and out camping. It's the only way to go for active lifestyle/volatile work environments.

I dropped mine from 20' onto concrete and it withstood the impact like a champ. No blemishes at all whatsoever, despite bouncing 5' in the air.

Otterbox FTW.
    07-07-2009 02:23 PM
    I just have a leather case for mine from case mate i like it and it has bounced a few times already. i have epocrates,medcalc,eponyms,emer radio,file aid

i'm also a paramedic as well as a firefighter..
    07-13-2009 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD