To Case or Not to Case?

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Back when I had my Treo 680, I kept that thing in a full-on juggernaut style battle-suit ready metal jacket. I was paranoid of dropping it and shattering into a million really expensive little pieces (I bought an unlocked edition from Palm -- pricey at the time!)

With my iPhone 2G, I never used a case. With my 3G, because the back started to scratch a little, I slapped on a Gelaskin.

For some reason, the build quality on the iPhone just seems to make me worry less. Am I being ridiculously naive and/or callous? Will I regret this?

I know Bad Ash will mock me rocking my iPhone commando style, but what's the forum consensus?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
In no way will I mock you... I have 5 cases and I depending on the day I mix it up. Sometimes even going commando like you. Well it's in a Sena slim sleeve when it's not in use. But that's close to commando... ;)

sturamsden

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
I know Bad Ash will mock me rocking my iPhone commando style, but what's the forum consensus?

I think I'm on the fence. I will definitely not put a case on it but I will try to get something like those Sena sleeves. I have an HTC Touch which came with it's own pouch and I love it. Maybe that's a way to quell your guilty conscience Rene, put it in a sleeve!

robdam1001

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
Case it; Why risk defacing such a beautiful thing? I have the InCase Slider and love it. It even improves holding/gripping the phone.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I put a case on. I have dropped it on pacement/asphalt/sidewalk type material twice. Without the case, I have no doubt it would have at LEAST gotten scratched, probably worse.

I have Incipio Syllicrilic (or something like that) - combination hard and form fitting skin case. I love it. The only thing I wish it did was had a rubber spot on the back to prevent the iPhone from sliding around on a smooth surface.

I just looked, and the case costs $20, down from the $25 when I bought it.

Chris

Ruben#IM

Sep 21, 2008
Visit site
Definetly use a case

The iphone has a tough screen but I still use a screen protector and the iPhone 3g(which Is the one I have) has a more scratchable back so u want to protect that. What I think you should do though since I had the same problem is buy a power support air jacket the thing is awesomeee. It's about 0.7mm thick and it comes with an anti glare and crystal clear screen protector and the anti glare screen protector is amazing. So get one of these in clear it's about 35 bucks and it's like udont even have something on it. Although the caseing scratches kinda easily but I rajer scratch the case then the phone. sorry if I wrote kind of slot this is my first forum thing I jus signed up:)

cherryhead25

Jul 18, 2008
Visit site
iskin Revo for 3g is where it's at! I also have the clip that works with it. Yeah it adds some bulk but I had my phone for a week w/o a case and realized that the glossy black back is a scratch magnet!!! I'm considering a body guardz type solution because the phone's form factor is so damn nice but for now it's all about the iSkin for me. Anyone debating whether or not to "case" I'd suggest to get a case. It's just a shame you have to because the device is so nice.

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
I have mine in a case, the Switcheasy Capsule Neo. I like it because it keeps the slim form factor of the iPhone, but also protects the back, so I can feel comfortable laying the phone on a table without having to worry about something scratching it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I have mine in a case, the Switcheasy Capsule Neo. I like it because it keeps the slim form factor of the iPhone, but also protects the back, so I can feel comfortable laying the phone on a table without having to worry about something scratching it.

I have both of the Switcheasy cases. They are both really nice cases.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
After falling asleep with my iPhone on my bed and knocking it off which created a small crack near the dock connector I ordered the Incase Slider. I wanted something that wasn't bulky and kept the iPhone's shape, which the Slider seems to do. Can't wait to get it tomorrow. :)

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
I have both of the Switcheasy cases. They are both really nice cases.

Yeah Ash, it's a very nice case. I really have never liked a case before for more than a few days, but I have been using this now for over3 weeks and lovin' every minute of it!

For curiosity though, I did order the iSkin Solo case and will be trying it out and see what it looks/feels like. I really hope it's not a lint magnet and also does not stick to the pocket when pulling it out, like the Incase Protective Cover.

ErikJeanna

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Don't waste your time with cases... I have been using a product from ShieldZone on EVERYTHING electronic that I own. Well worth the money and it completely protects everything you put it on. Check out the link... for the price of a case, you can keep your iPhone looking like an iPhone and it'll stay sexy forever. I ordered mine in advance and put it on the day I bought my iPhone. And the demo video in the link... competely real. I have done the same thing with mine and NO SCRATCHES! If the shiled ever scratches, they will send you a new one for free... for life! That's how confident they are in their product. And I am too...

ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Apple iPhone 3G Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Don't waste your time with cases... I have been using a product from ShieldZone on EVERYTHING electronic that I own. Well worth the money and it completely protects everything you put it on. Check out the link... for the price of a case, you can keep your iPhone looking like an iPhone and it'll stay sexy forever. I ordered mine in advance and put it on the day I bought my iPhone. And the video... competely real. I have done the same thing with mine and NP SCRATCHES! If the shiled ever scratches, they will send you a new one for free... for life! That's how confident they are in their product. And I am too...

ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Apple iPhone 3G Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

Personally I am against these skins. They don't offer any protection again the plastic housing from cracking or denting when dropping it on concrete do they? Nope.

Another thing with those skins, I don't care what anyone says, You can always see that it is on the phone. Cheapens the look of the phone in my opinion. Sorry, my phones have to be perfect and stay perfect so maybe I am too picky.

Go with a sleeve case and keep the phone naked is a better route to go than these skins.

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
Don't waste your time with cases... I have been using a product from ShieldZone on EVERYTHING electronic that I own. Well worth the money and it completely protects everything you put it on. Check out the link... for the price of a case, you can keep your iPhone looking like an iPhone and it'll stay sexy forever. I ordered mine in advance and put it on the day I bought my iPhone. And the demo video in the link... competely real. I have done the same thing with mine and NO SCRATCHES! If the shiled ever scratches, they will send you a new one for free... for life! That's how confident they are in their product. And I am too...

I don't know about these skins. I bought an IS before I got my iPhone and tried putting it on, using the video as a reference. Maybe it's a skill I do not possess, but I got lint underneath the shield and could not for the life of me get all the cut outs lined up the way I wanted them to be lined up. Just seemed like too much time for the protection it offered. I like having my iPhone in a case, but it just has to be a slim case and this Switcheasy Capsule Neo fits the bill rather well for me.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
The InvisibleSHEILD did protect against everyday wear and tear for me when I had it on. I did like the tackyness it gave to the phone which made it feel better in your hand. The front however does distort the screen slightly, after putting it on you could clearly tell something was on the front. I still don't think it would protect the front glass or plastic from cracking due to a fall though.

ErikJeanna

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Strange you all have issues with the shield... I don't know if I can take any photos of mine or maybe a video, but you REALLY have to look hard on min eto tell that there is a screen protector. The screen still looks amazing and nothing looks distorted. I agree with the dropping of the phone... it's not a suit of armor like a case, but it does what it's supposed to do against scratches.

I think puting it on was easy, but this is also (probably) my 20th shield over the years, so I guess I have had a lot of practice. Just like anything.... it's right for some people and just not for others. Thanks for the input from people who have tried it before.

megscd

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I have one of the stick-on antiglare screen protectors for my 3G and bought both a PixelSkin case and a Marware sleeve with a belt clip. I like them both OK, but I seem to end up with a naked phone most of the time anyway (unless it's clipped to my pocket in the Marware sleeve). In fact I find myself rubbing the back of the phone like a worry rock, heh heh. Scratches on the back don't bug me too much: just shows I use the phone. I'm not going to be getting rid of this baby until it's dead anyway so I don't have to think of resale.

mikecc

Aug 21, 2007
www.icellphonedeals.com
No case for my iphone, keep it original. I have my iphone 3g for over 2 months already and dropped once. Luckily, it fell on carpet floor. No scratch whatsoever. I always keep it in my brief case or pocket when traveling and put it on my desktop when at work.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2