No need for Invisible Shield (on the screen)

Alienware_51#IM

Aug 11, 2008
Visit site
Hey Everybody!!

I see many threads on numerous mobile phone forums and I always see a thread on Invisible Shields, Best Skins Ever, etc..... I was thinking about putting an Invisible Shield on my iPhone 3G, but I had one on my BlackBerry and when you run your finger across it, it has kind of a sticky feel. Then I found my dead iPod Touch, and said to myself, "self, the iPod Touch screen is made out of the same material as the iPhone 3G, so I will test out how durable it is first hand".

So I got a quarter and started scratching at the screen really hard. After I stopped I saw marks all over the screen and thought, wow, it's scratched to hell now. Then I cleaned it off with eye glass cleaner and a lint-free cloth, and then to my surprise it was completely 100% scratchless. I was amazed. So now I was bound and determined to scratch this baby, so I pulled out my keys and gave it a run for it's money. I scratched at the screen for almost 3 minutes non-stop, again I saw "scratches" on the screen before I cleaned it off. I then cleaned it off and still absolutely ZERO scratches or marks. So I came to the conclusion that it's really really really really hard to scratch, so I will not put a Invisible Shield on the front of my iPhone, but I still will put one on the back, because I know that scratches.

I am probably going to videotape my scratch-test experiment and put it on YouTube to show everyone how "bulletproof" the screen is. :) I know PCworld did a stress test (I watched it) but I had to find out for myself.

To view my video of the screen stress test go to YouTube.com and search for this: iPhone/iPod Touch screen test (without screen protector)

Last edited:

dcharles

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
I can tell you that I do have several small scratches on my 3G that came about from incidental use. I now have a anti-glare screen protector on mine from the apple store, not only am I protected, but the screen feels better to use plus no more fingerprints.

Wegmans#IM

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
I have an invisible shield on the front of mine ( I like the tacky feeling) and may get one for the back which is starting to get scratched...somehow unintentionally before I had the protector my screen managed to get scratched along the sides... Oh well safer than a tube sock!

Thanks for your videos and information!

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Ok I am really starting to think about a shield for just the back. I know there is the invisibile shield and the bodyguards and I think one more but can't remember. The only thing stopping me....doesn't it raise up in the corner? I heard one brand does and another does not. Can apple install this for you? What is the difference between the brands?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Will apple install the shield on the back for you? What about corners raising?

I guess that depends on who you talk to and if they actually sell that in the store. I've never seen any skins sold in a Apple store. Maybe I was just not looking for them. I've had them offer to put on screen protectors though.

Ragnarok8888

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Retry?

I've heard from a friend that if you buy the invisishield from Kiosk at the mall and decide to install it yourself, then, if you mess up, you can go and get a replacement? He also said there was a lifetime warranty for that specific ipod. Is this true? How easy is it to put the invisishield on yourself?

ed_423

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I tried to install a screen protector and failed. And I ruined it too and had to threw it away. But I decided to just get a case and not a screen protector since the screen is so bullet proof. But I always have to wipe it cuz of finger smudges. Dothe protector prevents smudges?

tchaves

May 15, 2009
Visit site
InvisibleShield uses a film that has a severe orange peel effect and weak adhesive. Full disclosure: I am not unbiased (I own this company, but I can tell you InvisibleShield is not the best solution out there.

Sketso

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Our Best Buy Mobile folks will install the invisibleSHIELD from Zagg on any phone, and if, after 48 hours, you notice imperfections (grit, dust, etc.) under the protector, or if it starts to peel or didn't get a good fit, they'll reinstall to correct the issues.

I just have the screen protector, not the body protection, but I can testify that, on my 3Gs, and my kids (9 and 16) phones, the shield is more than amazing on the protection it offers. Their phones go in/out of backpacks, pockets, cases, etc... and we've never had a scratch or bubble.

Synthetic#IM

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
I had a screen protector when I first got mine. Kept it on for about a week and removed it. It was harder to clean the surface with the screen protector on. It may depend on material and who made it. Mine came with cheap case from overseas so that could have been part of problem. I find it much easier to just wipe the screen on my shirt or pants for quick clean now. It sits in Energizer case that leaves front totally open... its been in pocket with keys, change and dropped a couple of times... no scratches. I have to say Apple builds these pretty tough considering the abuse mine has had.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods