External battery for 3G iPhone?

James Verdon

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Geez, I smell corporate bloggers here. If you want to use your iPhone 3G whole day don't buy that Solo thing. I did.. It's a weak battery, weaker then the battery of the iPhone 3G! It's 1200 mAh and you can have 1750 for the same money (3G Juice) They use old technology: li-ion (normal). The 3G Juice and the Mophie use li-polymer. That means that Solo's battery is KAPUTT after only 300 charge cycles. They even put that on the box (not on the site).

The 3G Juice uses the USB-adapter of your iPhone for power, so why get another??

Here's my two cents

If you go for looks, please DO buy RIchard Solo! It's a great design. (See Richard Solo's site)

If you want raw power, go for the 3G JUICE. It's the smallest battery with 1750 mAh and fits easily in your pocket/ glove department. (See Amazon)

If you want both, go for the Mophie. It's stylish AND has raw power.

Last edited:

James Verdon

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
That is not true. It's three posts now! Lol.

Oh well, that was not a nice remark of me, I agree.

But I can't understand why people are promoting a Lada when they can have a B&W or Ferrari. I guess I'm too greedy for this forum.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Geez, I smell corporate bloggers here. If you want to use your iPhone 3G whole day don't buy that Solo thing. I did.. It's a weak battery, weaker then the battery of the iPhone 3G! It's 1200 mAh and you can have 1750 for the same money (3G Juice)........
No, I really cannot. In fact I cannot have the Juice at any price. Price is only relevant for products that are shipping. When I cannot ship a product I always price it far below the product that is shipping.

James Verdon

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
I am greedy, but you're impatient :)

Would really have waited for the Mophie or the 3G Juice, or others. Here's why. Type in Google

ars technica backup batteries

wonderwall

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
It is necessary to have an extra back up battery. The best external batteries are juice pack from mophie ($99.95). Please note: this one is only for first generation iPhone, the iPhone 3G compatible battery will be released in September. Mophie juice pack provides more power (1800mAH) than the iPhone internal battery (1400mAH).

James Verdon

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
The battery I raved about earlier in this thread has now 1770 mAh power and new electronics in it, so I ordered a new one. Here are the results:

PLUS

* I drained my iPhone to 0% energy and then plugged in the 3GJUICE to see if it would charge to 100%. It did. With the remaining energy, I filled a Nano.
Then it was exhausted, the poor thing. Pretty good..! Compared to the Solo, it's 100% more power in real life. Compared to the old Mophie: both are in the same league. The Mophie loads a little faster, but give less power then the 3GJuice.

* Refilling took 3 hrs (through USB-port).

* It matches my phone, same black and silver.

MINUS

* No manual, has to be download from site (green company. lol)

* Indicator is too simple for me: just green and red. Would like to see also orange

Overall I am impressed.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
It is necessary to have an extra back up battery.
Agreed, if only to feel secure. I generally carried a back up battery for my Treo too, but rarely needed it.

The best external batteries are juice pack from mophie ($99.95). Please note: this one is only for first generation iPhone, the iPhone 3G compatible battery will be released in September. Mophie juice pack provides more power (1800mAH) than the iPhone internal battery (1400mAH).

Or the Richard Solo at 1200 mAHs.

scriptx

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
I got the Tekkeon MP1550 and it works great. The thing that had me buy this was that it takes rechargeable AA batteries and has a built in battery charger. That way in case of emergency, I can buy some AA batteries and charge the phone, but also charge the batteries for a digital cammera, etc.

Lastly, the capacity on NMHD AA batteries is around 2900 mah now which is bigger than most of the iphone specific chargers I have seen.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
What is the website for that Tekkeon MP1550 ???

I like the idea of AA batteries.
I bought two, one for a gift, on Amazon. Does not include the batteries. I paid $20- for four (2000 mah) nickel metal hydride batteries at Radio Shack. Cheaper batteries with lower capacity were available. So, this solution is about 20% cheaper than the Richard Solo Battery and has greater capacity. However, it is much larger. I would carry it in a brief case but not a pocket.

I carry my Richard Solo battery in the change pocket of jacket or trousers. I used it to recharge my iPhone in about an hour yesterday.

Last edited:

guruclub

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Powerful 3G iPhone backup battery imaxpower.com

I found this 3G iPhone backup battery and compared with the market available 3G iPhone backup battery. This one is very powerful. I bought one called IMP500 and it is more powerful than I thought. After fully charge it up and it can be used to recharge 3G iPhone 4 times. I like to recommend it to 3G iPhone and 2nd Generation fan

Pros

Big capacity,
Nice design
Easy to use

Cons

Need a USB cable, I like cableless more

But with 50$, it is still a good buy, check this out

imaxpower.com

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I found this 3G iPhone backup battery and compared with the market available 3G iPhone backup battery. This one is very powerful. I bought one called IMP500 and it is more powerful than I thought. After fully charge it up and it can be used to recharge 3G iPhone 4 times. I like to recommend it to 3G iPhone and 2nd Generation fan

Pros

Big capacity,
Nice design
Easy to use

Cons

Need a USB cable, I like cableless more

But with 50$, it is still a good buy, check this out

imaxpower.com
When I googled this, the first url returned was to a video demonstration. 5000 mah. Same technology and source as the iPhone battery.

Big advantage of the USB cable is that the battery can be used to charge arbitrary devices.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods