Visit site
cool.jpg
hot.jpg
digital.jpg

hmmm...let me also have a try :)

PhilR

Aug 1, 2008
Visit site
I've joined here to ask about backup batteries. I like the 3Gjuice or the RichardSolo batteries. Has anyone used either of these? I was told the 3G juice is not available and the RichardSolo is available so I'm leaning towards that one. In my research, the 3Gjuice has more power (1700mAh) vs the Solo at 1200 mAh. However what good is 1700 if I can't buy it? I can trust the RichardSolo because I've purchased from them before and they have great customer service. Has anyone here tried the RichardSolo? The 3Gjuice? Interested to hear your comments. Thanks.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I've joined here to ask about backup batteries. I like the 3Gjuice or the RichardSolo batteries. Has anyone used either of these? I was told the 3G juice is not available and the RichardSolo is available so I'm leaning towards that one. In my research, the 3Gjuice has more power (1700mAh) vs the Solo at 1200 mAh. However what good is 1700 if I can't buy it? I can trust the RichardSolo because I've purchased from them before and they have great customer service. Has anyone here tried the RichardSolo? The 3Gjuice? Interested to hear your comments. Thanks.
I am expecting delivery any day and will post a report. I too have been impressed by their customer service but they did not provide a tracking number.

James Verdon

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Both Richard Solo and 3G Juice aren't available before end of August. Solo's offer seems to me a fine choice since the company exists longer then today. The 3G JUICE is new. It's the better battery with 50% more power, OFF-button to save energy for months and a endorsed by the boss of LinkedIn, see the back of the package here: http://www.3gjuice.com/voorkant.pdf (2 Mb, PDF)

If I go for what others do, I would go for the 3G Juice. That one has a sales rank #2 in Electronics > Accessories & Supplies > Batteries, Chargers & Power Supplies > Battery Chargers > Telephone of Amazon, the one of Richard Solo is not in the top.

3G JUICE (Amazon)

Amazon.com: 3G JUICE iPhone 3G/2G & Ipod Battery Extender - Certified by Apple: Electronics

RICHARD SOLO (own site)
Backup Battery for iPhone / iPod - DX001

See also
Several backup batteries can extend your daily iPhone 3G use

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Just saw that the Mophie 3G is now available for pre-order:

mophie - iPhone Battery, iPod Cases, iPhone accessories and more! - Juice Pack - iPhone 3G (pre-order)

Easily the most integrated and low-profile solution, I'm looking forward to it. $99 ($105 with shipping) now, shipping in late September.

Design looks a little better too - the speaker cutouts aren't quite so pronounced.
Perfect, thanks for the post about the preorder. It seems pretty expensive, But it is the best solution without adding a battery sticking out the bottom of the iPhone

PhilR

Aug 1, 2008
Visit site
I decided on the RichardSolo Battery. I placed my order. It won't ship til near the end of the month but I did more research and here's what sold me:

RichardSolo is the only one that lets you charge the iPhone and the Backup Battery together. The Mophie requires you to charge it separately, and the 3G doesn't have a chance to charge them together because they stupidly put the mini usb port right next to the Apple pin, so that if you connect it to the iPhone there is no way to charge it. :confused:

And neither of them give you a USB wall charger, which is probably 8 times faster than charging from your computer USB port... :confused:

RichardSolo does and that's a PLUS that nobody seems to realize until you start having to depend on these little boogers... Boy I'm glad I researched these. :cool:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I am expecting delivery any day and will post a report. I too have been impressed by their customer service but they did not provide a tracking number.
I have received the battery. It took five days including a weekend.

In the box is the battery, a 110v to USB power adapter, and a retractable USB to little USB cable.

The battery is rated at 1200mah. It is about the same size as the spare battery for my Treo, that is, about the same length and width as a match box with half the height. It took about 3 hours for the initial charge. Fit and finish is fine. It is much more handsome than one might conclude from looking at the photo on the web page. The physical connection is also more stable than one might conclude from looking at the photo. One can comfortably use the phone while it is plugged in.

It has three LED indicator lamps. Blue says that it is able to charge the iPhone. The blue light came on about 5 minutes after plugging it in. This meant that, although the battery was not fully charged, it would "charge through." Red says that it is accepting a charge and green that it is fully charged. Note that blue and red or blue and green should show up when charging the iPhone through the battery.

I am still accumulating use experience and I will continue to report as I learn more. For now I can say that it takes the battery about five minutes to turn the iPhone from its red (battery low) to green. At that point the iPhone can be used. Plugging the fully charged battery into a two-thirds charged iPhone brought the iPhone to fully charged in about forty-five minutes. I am assuming that if I am in a call and get an iPhone low battery indication, then plugging in the RichardSolo would allow me to continue the call.

I am also trying to accumulate experience, not to say, data, on how long it takes to charge the RichardSolo. As I mentioned above, an out-of-the-box charge took about 3 hours. A recharge of the battery from a one-third charge of the iPhone took an hour+.

For now, I am hopeful that the iPhone battery plus the RichardSolo will get me through a 12 hour work day.

PhilR

Aug 1, 2008
Visit site
Interested to see your results.

Question: Did you compare to the other batteries available?

I had some questions and the customer service was fast with their reply at the RichardSolo site. I wrote to two other battery sites and still have not heard anything. That's not a good sign.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Interested to see your results.

Question: Did you compare to the other batteries available?

Not hardly. I would not have this one if I had not ordered early. I do not think that are "other batteries available."....................

kilsey

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I decided on the RichardSolo Battery. I placed my order. It won't ship til near the end of the month but I did more research and here's what sold me:

RichardSolo is the only one that lets you charge the iPhone and the Backup Battery together. The Mophie requires you to charge it separately, and the 3G doesn't have a chance to charge them together because they stupidly put the mini usb port right next to the Apple pin, so that if you connect it to the iPhone there is no way to charge it. :confused:

I don't think you finished your research. The Mophie page pretty clearly states that you can charge the Mophie by itself or both the Juicepack and the iPhone 3G at the same time, via the Mini-USB port on the base of the battery pack.

You can also sync to iTunes via the mini-USB cable.

Deets

Of course, this was standard on the original Juicepack too, though they used a dock connector for that version instead of the mini-USB.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2