iPhone 3G/3GS Cases

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
LOL what does that even mean you use one with much success? It's not like you could use it incorrectly, ok, I take that back. I'm sure someone will screw it up.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
using one with much success is that the case fits well, has fallen many times, and shows little signs of failure. it has SUCCESSFULLY proected my phone many a time...

patput

Jun 25, 2008
www.mwpbooks.com
I really like the magnet flip case I have on my present phone. Looks like the skinwallet might be the closest. Since they aren't shipping until the 29th, there's plenty of time to cancel if necessary.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I was curious so I emailed their customer care. The ultraslim and elga case for the first phone will fit the 3g... so even better for me or anyone who currently has those cases. Great cases by the way.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Protective Skins?

i plan on using plastic covers for my iphone. for instance, INVISIBLEshield. i am wondering which is the best. are they useful? what do they protect well against? should i buy an actual case?:confused: just trying to prepare for the launch! thanks a bunch!:D

thanks, tk

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
According to iLounge, the best combination for looks, usability, and protection is using a NLU BodyGuardz film on the back of the iPhone with a Power Support Crystal Film on the front. This is the exact combination I use, and it is wonderful. Since then, FullBodyFilms came out with their Protection Pack, which included a BodyGuardz for the back and a Crystal Film-like front, for much less than buying the two separately. I sent FullBodyFilms an e-mail about the 3G, and they said they were "still testing" but that it would be out sometime in July. NLU has begun taking pre-orders for their BodyGuardz, which it says will ship July 12. ZAGG has begun shipping orders for their InvisibleShield already, but they've had so many pre-orders (at least 50,000) that if you order now it will be at least two weeks before it would ship. In my experience, the NLU BodyGuardz feel much nicer than the InvisibleShield, and they cover slightly more of the iPhone. Also, my experience with ZAGG was so terrible that they ended up refunding me for my iPhone shield purchase, and I've decided to never buy from them again.

I should note that when I took my iPhone into an AT&T store, the customer service representative really liked the look of my BodyGuardz-covered iPhone and asked me where I got it. Despite selling many iPhones and having his own iPhone, he had never seen anything like it. It gives the iPhone just a little bit of a glossy effect that makes it look nice, and it won't show fingerprints or smudges. Plus I really like that it doesn't cover up the sleek iPhone with cheap-looking plastic/rubber. After about 9 months, I began to notice the dirt that was accumulating along the corners began to make just a millimeter or two of the film begin to not stick as well as before, so I eventually replaced the BodyGuardz (it comes with two sets), but it lasted me at least 9 months, and with the included second set, I expect it would last around 18 months.

I'm pretty sure the size and shape of the front of the iPhone are exactly the same, so the Power Support Crystal Film (or any other static film) should still work for the 3G, but for complete back protection, it will be hard to get anything from NLU, ZAGG, or FullBodyFilms at the launch of the 3G. I like the look and feel (and protection) of the BodyGuardz/FullBodyFilms so much that I'm considering delaying purchasing the 3G iPhone for a week or two to make sure I have good protection first. I guess I do treat gadgets like children (I can afford that, since I don't have any real children, at least not yet), and I would hate for my brand new iPhone to get any scratches.

moomen

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
Slider case

I saw a relly nice slider case on incase's website. Has anyone tried this? Does it cove the screen as well? Is there a 3g version somewhere? Are there similar alternatives? I want full protection, but with the ability to see the screen. I don't mind having to open it up. I am however completely opposed to leather or similar looking materials. I like magnesium, good hard plastics with rubber insides/shock absorbers. I don't like rubbery skins either, they always seem to loose their fit, stick to my pockets, and collect more dust then a lint brush...Thanks for the help!

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
Just so I'm on the right page, are these the NLU BodyGuards you are talking about.
BodyGuardz Protective Skin for iPhone - Phone different Store

and this is for the Protective Pack from FullBodyFilms.
The Protection Pack

And this is the Power Support Crystal Film, correct.
POWER SUPPORT | Products | iPhone | Crystal Film Set

It looks like BodyGuardz and Full Body Skins give you complete protection. Do you or anyone have a preference for BodyGuardz or Full Body Skins. I like the looks of the BodyGuardz with the cut-outs for everything and for the corners, does the Full Body Skins do the same thing? ....that is wrap around the edges and such.

GreenLightJerky

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Otterbox Defender

Does anyone here own the Otterbox Defender for the iPhone?
I have it on my list as my case of choice for my new 3g iPhone.
Any comments on the case?

Galley

May 30, 2008
Visit site
The InCase Slider case is excellent! It does not cover the screen, but since the screen is made of glass it really doesn't require protection. The ability to dock the iPhone is a real plus. :)

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Yes those links are correct.

The NLU BodyGuardz are thicker, much more flexible (so it can hug the sides and corners of the iPhone), and will give slightly more resistance when moving your finger on the touchscreen (the InvisibleShield from ZAGG is similar but in my opinion has too much resistance to use the touchscreen effectively). It's up to personal preference whether you'll like this. The BodyGuardz comes with one film for the front and one for the back and sides.

The Power Support Crystal Film set is thinner and stiff, like hard plastic. It does not use adhesive, but rather sticks by using static cling. It will feel just like the glass front of the iPhone. It only covers the front.

The FullBodyFilms set comes with a back/sides BodyGuardz film with a Crystal Film-like film for the front. So many people liked the thicker protection for the back and sides and the can't-even-tell-it's-there super-thin film for the front that they decided to put one of each together for the a great combination. I'm not sure if FullBodyFilms will use official NLU BodyGuardz (I think they did this for the original iPhone) or just a similar product for their 3G iPhone pack.

BaLLi5t1c

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
You will not be disappointed. Both are very nice cases and have been holding up really well. No issues what so ever. Just waiting for my new phone now... :cool:

The two cases mentioned (Elega and UltraSlim) don't allow you to operate the device while in them, correct? Hence the term "pouch" I presume. So, does anyone have any suggestions on cases that are stylized and form fitting that offer shock protection as well as full function of the touchscreen and all applicable ports/side buttons? Also, any tips on a protective screen cover would be much appreciated.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR