Safari?

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Hey! My grandma, almost 90, hates computers but has used my BlackBerry Passport and iPhone 6s with assistance and was quite proud of her achievements.

She seems ok with technology as long as she doesn't view them as "computers".

She really gets the home button of iOS (which I only ever use to wake with now that I'm using 3D Touch :D) but on my BlackBerry, I was able to set the font size larger which worked for everything including the browser.

I went to look at and almost pulled the trigger on an iPad for her and my dad to use as his experience is with iOS and he would help her as well. I went into the settings and set the font up but Safari remained tiny!

Sites like Apple Support Forums have a font almost too small even for my liking..

I am not the most familiar with iOS tho am now using it daily alongside other os's and couldn't find a way even with the sales reps help and searching online. I am quite surprised by this as I thought Safari would be lumped in with font changes.

I was hoping to get her online but she does force touch and long press almost everything, I just figure iOS would be the most friendly for her to learn and I thought accessible option? I did try another browser on my iPod and was going to look for others but I also believe that links in emails would still point to Safari?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Safari is the default browser. Links do lead to Safari. One would need to copy and paste links in other browsers.
If the font on sites are a bit small, you might try using Tapatalk. It's a forum app that will accommodate multiple forums. It has a dark theme for old folks like me with eye issues. Good luck.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there's a way to make the font size bigger in Safari for iOS aside from zooming in on a page. You can also activate Reader View on many pages and enlarge the text there:

1. Open a web page and, if Reader View is available, tap the button on the left side of the address bar.
IMG_3389.JPG

2. Use the text size button to adjust the font size displayed on the screen.
IMG_3390.JPG

There may be some third party browsers that will accomplish your objective but, as you said, links from emails will still open in Safari.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey! My grandma, almost 90, hates computers but has used my BlackBerry Passport and iPhone 6s with assistance and was quite proud of her achievements.

She seems ok with technology as long as she doesn't view them as "computers".

She really gets the home button of iOS (which I only ever use to wake with now that I'm using 3D Touch :D) but on my BlackBerry, I was able to set the font size larger which worked for everything including the browser.

I went to look at and almost pulled the trigger on an iPad for her and my dad to use as his experience is with iOS and he would help her as well. I went into the settings and set the font up but Safari remained tiny!

Sites like Apple Support Forums have a font almost too small even for my liking..

I am not the most familiar with iOS tho am now using it daily alongside other os's and couldn't find a way even with the sales reps help and searching online. I am quite surprised by this as I thought Safari would be lumped in with font changes.

I was hoping to get her online but she does force touch and long press almost everything, I just figure iOS would be the most friendly for her to learn and I thought accessible option? I did try another browser on my iPod and was going to look for others but I also believe that links in emails would still point to Safari?

That is neat. 90 years ago peeps we're lucky just to have phones or even afford phone service. Also peeps never owned telephones the phone company owned them.

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for confirming. Tapatalk could work good to centralize some of her interests and I really liked how reader handled Web pages with larger text but it wasn't always available or showed only a portion of what was there.

She is smart and would catch on well and may probably do a lot of what I do with online reading or looking at pictures and videos of cats. Amazing to see how much has happened in the past 90-100 years and what we take for granted and do with it! I do wonder how come the text couldn't be resized for something that involves a decent amount of reading material..

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for confirming. Tapatalk could work good to centralize some of her interests and I really liked how reader handled Web pages with larger text but it wasn't always available or showed only a portion of what was there.

She is smart and would catch on well and may probably do a lot of what I do with online reading or looking at pictures and videos of cats. Amazing to see how much has happened in the past 90-100 years and what we take for granted and do with it! I do wonder how come the text couldn't be resized for something that involves a decent amount of reading material..

With the exception of mobile Web sites, the reverse pinch to zoom works well.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think @ledsteplin had a phone back then.

Those were the days!
e2f7d86e384205ca7a6754ff2d50206d.jpg

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Haha, I still have that. My upgrade path was from it to the 6s, nothing in between ;). Now it's in the attic. Real easy to use lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20160515_234239.jpg
    IMG_20160515_234239.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 7

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I bought the iPad today. Dolphin browser has a large text setting which is really workable as there are other things my grandma and my dad will be able to do on it such as viewing photos. The browsers are just a part of it and I hope it should do well. Thanks and hope this helps others looking to maybe do something similar.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought the iPad today. Dolphin browser has a large text setting which is really workable as there are other things my grandma and my dad will be able to do on it such as viewing photos. The browsers are just a part of it and I hope it should do well. Thanks and hope this helps others looking to maybe do something similar.

Thank you for following up!

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
My dad is 82 and the one who got me into iThings in the first place. He was a self taught independent computer consultant back in the 80s and I believe he worked on the early development of Word Perfect. He hates Microsoft with a passion and lost interest when win 3.0 came out. I couldn't interest him in winxp to save my life, had mild success with Ubuntu 10.0 but when he finally treated himself to his iPad three years ago everything clicked and he took off and is all over the Internet.

Glad your grandmother is having a similar experience.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2