Finally played with the New MacBook today!

CrackBerry Kevin

Aug 30, 2007
www.crackberry.com
I ordered the New MacBook (in Gold of course!!) the day it was available for pre-order. I was a little slow on it, so won't be getting it until May 16th. A bit of a wait, but the 16th is my birthday so it will make a nice present.

I've been visiting my local Apple Store regularly since ordering it, hoping they would get some units in on display so I could actually play with it. They've been slow to receive it, but today was the day they finally had TWO out on kiosks to try.

It's a totally slick machine. A few initial thoughts:

1. Woah - It's small! The actual thinness and size of this device is just tiny. More of a netbook than a laptop when you look at it. And now I understand why people keep saying it's like an iPad turned MacBook. It's super compact.

2. It makes the Macbook Air look ancient. The MacBook Air is a great machine, but when you look at the design of the New Macbook compared to the Air, there is no comparison. The Air looks generations older.

3. Keyboard is awesome! I was worried I wouldn't like the keyboard due to the low travel of the keys. But I was able to immediately type on it with accuracy, at speed and with a good feel. I think it will honestly be a zero learning curve here for me, which is great. I was worried. No need to worry. It rocks. Looks cool too how it comes so close to the edge of the body of the device.

4. Trackpad is awesome! Similar to the keyboard, I was worried I wouldn't like the force touch trackpad. Change can be scary. Not the case here. You feel the "click"(whether it's clicking or not). It works as you'd expect. Super comfortable and feels great. No learning curve here.

5. Retina Display is awesome! We've all been wanting MacBook Airs to have retina for so long now. It's great to finally have retina on a small laptop like this. I only wish they could minimize the bezel around the display glass, and extend it closer out to the edges (sort of like the keyboard). Feels like they could add 1/2 to the display size this way. We see other OEMs doing this (like Dell).

Overall, super excited for my New MacBook to arrive. I have a Mac Pro as my office work machine, and an iMac 5k Retina as my home computer, so this new Macbook will be replacing my 15" Macbook Pro. My 15" obviously has way more power in it... but since I have other machines to do my heavy lifting (when I'm doing things like editing photos or videos), I'm not worried. The new Macbook will be my on the couch / in bed / business trip machine (where it's mainly things like presentations or excel / word / internet stuff) that I'm doing. Only thing I'm a bit concerned with is the low resolution camera. I do a lot of Skype Video calls and Google Hangouts... taking a step backwards in the video department kind of sucks.

12" is a little small when downsizing from 15". I think I'll manage, but if/when they make a bigger MacBook w/ this same design I'll totally be all over that.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you: If they make a 15" MacBook, sign me up. Although, I want a little more power and at least two ports.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I got to check one out at Best Buy the other day. It honestly looked thinner in the pictures, but still really thin. It's just not as dramatic as I thought it would be. I also don't like the keyboard at all. I'm sure I'd get used to it if it was my main machine, but it just didn't feel right. However, it didn't slow me down or cause me to make more errors than usual. I just didn't like the way it felt.

But damn it sure is sexy. You're right when you said it makes the Air look ancient. They both look so similar, yet so different. If I was looking to upgrade in a year or two, I'd probably pick it up over the Pro when it gets more Air-like specs.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The trackpad and the keyboard are awesome improvements. I'm not sold on the processor or the small size. Like the OP, I am currently using a 15" rMBP, and for me, at least, the 12" computer is too small.

They had several of them at BestBuy (one of each color). I powered one of them off just to test the force-touch trackpad. It's amazing that it doesn't actually move - that it's all done with haptic feedback. That trackpad is wicked cool (and I've never even been to Boston).

The keyboard was different - not better, not worse, just "different". It might take a couple of days to get used to it, but it seemed responsive and accurate (at least as accurate as I could make it with my challenged typing skills and function.

When Apple brings that design concept to the large screen size, it will be interesting. Not sure If I would go for a fanless 15" rMBP with a beefier processor - but if they just added that trackpad and keyboards to the existing rMBP, they'd sell a ton of them.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm right along with you Kevin. I'll be dropping my HP and getting a new MacBook.
I don't like where Microsoft is heading with Windows 10 so I'll be going MacBook.
Looking forward to a new experience.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
The MacBook is great looking. . . . I hope I don't "force" myself to purchase that laptop, too. LOL

(Yes, Peter, a GOLD MacBook.)

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I bought an open box at best buy for $1066 today. I wasn't even sure I wanted it but couldn't pass up such a good deal. Space grey is nice, but I don't like that there is no I indicator light for charging or anything when the Mac is powered down. As I was using it last night I really enjoy that there is no fan sound. And the speakers on it rock!

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I bought an open box at best buy for $1066 today. I wasn't even sure I wanted it but couldn't pass up such a good deal. Space grey is nice, but I don't like that there is no I indicator light for charging or anything when the Mac is powered down. As I was using it last night I really enjoy that there is no fan sound. And the speakers on it rock!

Thanks for sharing this information. . . . I'm so wanting this laptop.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox